Block Painting Feedback Thread

KattStrike

Website
twitch.tv
Have you been playing with our new Block Painting mode in R&D?

Then we need your help!

We'd like some constructive feedback in order to improve it as much as we can before we promote it to the main game branch.

Could you please specify the following:
  • What you like about the feature.
  • What you don't like about it.
  • How can the feature be improved?
  • Did you have any optimisation-al issues?
  • Did you have any bugs whilst using this?
And also anything else you feel to be appropriate. Remember, the more constructive the better!

Thanks guys!

EDIT: This is currently an on-going work in progress, and having you guys test it out is really appreciated! Thanks for all your feedback so far, I've forwarded it to the other guys and we're going to keep checking back here :)

Last edited:

matik2002

Block Painting

What I like
  • Quicker building
  • Quick block placing/spawning
  • Tech Spawn
What I don't like
  • nothing at all
Improvements
  • Make block painting activate on hotkey instead of B mode
Optimisation
  • DISCLAIMER SCREEN OPTIMISATION.
Bugs
  • Can't change camera zoom
  • Cannot pick any other block when B mode is on
  • Awkward positions when picking another block after rotating a previous one, often broke the tech out of B mode upon placement attempt

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Having the build beam as part of this is killing it for me. Most of the time I don't even use the build beam because my techs are to big and it causes extra lag using it.

When using block painting I think it would be better to be able to select when you are going to paint with blocks or just move existing blocks around. Having to exit block painting just to move a misplaced block is not ideal.

Have a good one

P

Pink Kitty

I have a problem/bug/feature in that when i select an orientation for a block, when i paint it, the next block loses the orientation, and i have to reselect it again.

Which means for example, painting a 'fence' of upright GSO 5x1x1 blocks is an epic pain.

TheUberCannon

"""Well-Known"""
Here's my cents.

Pros:
+ You don't have to drag and drop blocks that much
+ You can "summon" techs while block painting

Cons:
- No toggle
- Same bug as the Payload Terminal, only some of the blocks from the selected corporation is there
- No block removal function
- Cannot zoom the camera while active

Neutrals:
= Has the usual Techs Tab, which makes this function mostly just a portable Payload Terminal. This may be a step to a working creative mode.
= Alt + Tab will disable the block painting, allows you to zoom/drag blocks on the ground again until you select another block

Mk1

Pretty much what the others already said, the orientation needs to remain the same for this to be useful - it's the rotation that's killing me more than dragging a block from the dispensers.

I agree with reaper too, the build beam causes too much lag on larger techs and makes it hard to use this feature. Would it be possible to just have a key i can press after placing a block to duplicate another one onto my cursor, with the same orientation of course. My right mouse button would be very grateful.

P

Pink Kitty

Here's a bug:

While painting my secret special pink place (It's secret!)
I couldn't place or even drag a block to one spot.
If you look on the pick, in the corner facing 'south' where the pink meets the yellow, there's no red/white crosses.

save/load fixed it, but could be a problem.

HappyApathy

What's really hurting this for me is the fact I can't disable it when I don't want it on when I'm in build mode, what if I just want to grab a random piece that is lying on the ground? The block painting won't let me do that. I actually have to exit out of build mode if I just want to use pieces that happen to be there. It's also incredibly inconvenient for trying to move around blocks that are already attached to your tech. Only way to get out of the block paint mode is to Alt-Tab out of the window and that is hardly a satisfactory solution.

There were also merits of the old system of just buying a pile a of pieces from a console and grabbing them as you went along that I preferred over block painting.

There seriously needs to be a hotkey for disabling block painting when you don't need it cause honestly it's actually an incredible pain right now to have it on all the time when in build mode, as in it is it's actually making me not want to use the current unstable build.

Last edited:

KattStrike

Website
twitch.tv
Just as a note - I've noticed a few of you having to leave BP to delete blocks, I've written a guide which Sai Wun is going to put on the website, but basically you need to hold Alt to exit placing mode. If you hold Alt and Click a block, you will delete it! :)

P

Pink Kitty

Just as a note - I've noticed a few of you having to leave BP to delete blocks, I've written a guide which Sai Wun is going to put on the website, but basically you need to hold Alt to exit placing mode. If you hold Alt and Click a block, you will delete it! :)
This needs to be in the release notes!

P

Pink Kitty

Also, when you hit 'alt' to delete, it would be great if it went back to the block when you let go.

tomo_cjt

Currently pressing Alt switches you to grab mode.

Holding Alt to delete won't be staying.
Pressing Alt will switch you back to grab mode, and pressing it again will switch to paint mode.

Chris:)

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
Block painting seems pretty good, though I am with some of the others with the rotation changes. I agree with @StyxAnnihilator 's idea for block rotation: different buttons to rotate in different directions. The idea with the change is noble, but my first impressions of it leave me liking the old system more.

And for block painting itself, I have noticed that it places what I am coining "null blocks" if you do things to fast. I think it has something to do with pressing Alt and clicking too fast, though it might be clicking too fast in general. A "null block" is essentially an invisible air block that you can't place any blocks inside of, so it blocks parts of your tech that you want to build in. I would add a picture, but I forgot to when I was building my last tech.

Another thing I noticed is that the first block you try to place will often be in an illegal position. For instance, a Venture Right bracket might be rotated away from where you are trying to place it, it will stick to that spot in that weird rotation, and it won't attach when you click.

Outside of that, I would want some memory on the rotation the block was in, and would want it to default to a sensible position when placing. It doesn't make much sense for a 2x2 block to be placed on the edge of another 2x2 block, right? And guns should simply rotate where you point them, not pop to different spots like the Venture machine guns I was working with.

tomo_cjt

Block painting seems pretty good, though I am with some of the others with the rotation changes. I agree with @StyxAnnihilator 's idea for block rotation: different buttons to rotate in different directions. The idea with the change is noble, but my first impressions of it leave me liking the old system more.

And for block painting itself, I have noticed that it places what I am coining "null blocks" if you do things to fast. I think it has something to do with pressing Alt and clicking too fast, though it might be clicking too fast in general. A "null block" is essentially an invisible air block that you can't place any blocks inside of, so it blocks parts of your tech that you want to build in. I would add a picture, but I forgot to when I was building my last tech.

Another thing I noticed is that the first block you try to place will often be in an illegal position. For instance, a Venture Right bracket might be rotated away from where you are trying to place it, it will stick to that spot in that weird rotation, and it won't attach when you click.

Outside of that, I would want some memory on the rotation the block was in, and would want it to default to a sensible position when placing. It doesn't make much sense for a 2x2 block to be placed on the edge of another 2x2 block, right? And guns should simply rotate where you point them, not pop to different spots like the Venture machine guns I was working with.
Yeah, it's a work in progress. That's what R&D is for :)
We'll smooth most of these issues out in time for it to be pushed for stable.

We're going to maintain the rotation of the last block you placed, but items will rotate when you position them somewhere that they can't have the selected rotation.

We have no plans to allow you to rotate the block manually in all 3 axis (pitch, roll, and yaw).
There are a bunch of issues with this, and we've spoken about them before ;)

That said, there are improvements to make and as you can see we're heading towards them!

Bgrmystr2

Website
en.touhouwiki.net
I played with it for a little earlier this morning and found there wasn't a way to delete blocks, but that's been stated above, so I'm glad you guys know about that.

What hasn't been noted is that you have to click every time you want to add a new block. Also, I noticed when trying to make a line of blocks, for some reason the connection points seem to randomize instead of picking what's closest, creating some horrible circular mess that I have to manually take apart. Yes, I sure did want to put a block in front, then behind, then under that one, and behind that one, then on top of the previous, and two to the left of that one, and suddenly I have a sphere with a nose!* xD.. needs a bit of work.

That being said, the colored blocks are not in the build menu and as such I cannot paint them. I'm not sure how @Pink Kitty did it, since I had to manually place each and every single color block. Not that I'm not used to doing that, but as small as they are, it gets real tedious, real fast.

Also, I thought "A palette is displayed of all available blocks." meant every block in the game had a selectable color like the current colored blocks, and was so godsdamned excited. Nope. All for naught. :mad:

Edit : Also, I find that blocks don't seem to remember their position very well when rotated. They still snap. I tested it with a GSO 5 block attached to the back of the starting cab, then rotated a GSO 2 block to make a T. It didn't work. It still snapped to be parallel with the 5 block.

*I take no responsibility if this does not actually look like a sphere with a nose.

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
That being said, the colored blocks are not in the build menu and as such I cannot paint them. I'm not sure how @Pink Kitty did it, since I had to manually place each and every single color block. Not that I'm not used to doing that, but as small as they are, it gets real tedious, real fast.
Umm, yea they are. They are under Special, in the standard category.

ArmchairGravy

Please, for the love of all that's holy, have a separate button for block painting! I just want a build beam to lift up my tech and allows me to zoom in and out.