Block Allowance for Consoles vote if it should be removed

Gabe2b

Vote yes if you think the block allowance should be removed because it limits the amount of things that you can do and how much fun you can have because 7000 at max level is not enough.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Modern consoles are built for graphics, not raw processing power. In fact, both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox 1X have slower processors than the tablet I'm typing on right now. (That's a big reason consoles are so much cheaper than gaming computers.) Unfortunately, terratech is an extremely processor intensive game. As a result TT has to have the block limit to be able to run at all on consoles.

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
You're asking for the ability to crash your console by overloading it. Also they can't do that because console requirements.
Xbox & PS4 won't let us release a game that would be limitless like the PC build (by removing the block limit) as it will cause the game to run slowly on their consoles. Unfortunately, that won't ever change. Sorry!

Gabe2b

Modern consoles are built for graphics, not raw processing power. In fact, both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox 1X have slower processors than the tablet I'm typing on right now. (That's a big reason consoles are so much cheaper than gaming computers.) Unfortunately, terratech is an extremely processor intensive game. As a result TT has to have the block limit to be able to run at all on consoles.
so your tablet has 12Gbs of gddr5 ram in which 4of it is used so it has breathing room so it doesn`t crash and 300 Gb per second of memory transfer

HeX

TerraTech Modder Manager
so your tablet has 12Gbs of gddr5 ram in which 4of it is used so it has breathing room so it doesn`t crash and 300 Gb per second of memory transfer
That has nothing to do with the limits which TT requires. TT relies on your CPU (Central Processing Unit) which is in no way the same as your RAM (Random Access Memory). You can have a million gigabytes of RAM but you still wouldn't have the block allowance removed if you still have the same CPU.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I don't... think you understand how computers work. You have described RAM or memory, specifically video memory. This is not related to processing power and does not, by itself, tell you how high performing a computer or console is. I'm not trying to be condescending by explaining this, but keep reading if you want the basics.

RAM determines the size of the data which can be processed at any given time. Things like 3D meshes, lighting, rendering, and textures, which all exists as discrete files of various sizes. Complex texture maps (like from a realistic 3D game) can be huge in size and there can be many of them. This means the device needs lots of RAM to be able to manipulate these large files. If the hard-drive is your freezer, RAM is the cutting board where you prepare the food. RAM is actually quite cheap. It's typically the cheapest component of a computer.

Processing speed is how many operations per second the computer can perform, and is measured in GHz (gigahertz) and performed by the CPU (or processor). Every time the computer does something with data, it is performing operations on it. Things like layering a texture file to a 3D mesh, computing damage done to an enemy, computing the physics of an explosion, or showing the movement in a fiery particle effect. In my food analogy, this is how fast the chef can cut and prepare the food. Furthermore, processors are notoriously expensive. A middle-of-the-road gaming computer can easily have half its entire cost just in the processor.

Typically, because consoles have to be less than $400 and have to render very pretty AAA games, they prioritize graphics (as you have described) over processor. Terratech is very processor intensive because it's literally a physics simulator. It has to perform physics calculations on every block in your tech at every instant. However, because it is graphically simple, it does not require much RAM. So my original point stands. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Zonko

Xbox & PS4 won't let us release a game that would be limitless like the PC build (by removing the block limit) as it will cause the game to run slowly on their consoles. Unfortunately, that won't ever change. Sorry!
So put the limit in an easily editable file, and tell us where it is.

garr890354839

Vote yes if you think the block allowance should be removed because it limits the amount of things that you can do and how much fun you can have because 7000 at max level is not enough.
7000?! THAT AIN'T GOOD ENOUGH!? YOU LIAR. All of my techs are well under that number, with my biggest being only 1,231 blocks. It is a death machine. If you meant 700, then that is rather low...

That is enough blocks to build a destroyer and a pretty large base with plenty of room to spare. You can use larger blocks to build larger techs, and use larger, better weapons to replace spamming smaller weapons. The Venture Dual Autocannon takes up 6 APs and has a Damage per second rating0 of 3600. You can use it on the sides of a pyramid, and that takes up only two APs, making it more space-efficient than most other guns.

What I really wish they lifted was the build size limit. That technically means that the block limit on PC is 262,144, because you can only build up to 64 one blocks long in any direction.

Website
duckduckgo.com
7000?! THAT AIN'T GOOD ENOUGH!? YOU LIAR. All of my techs are well under that number, with my biggest being only 1,231 blocks. It is a death machine. If you meant 700, then that is rather low...
I'm quite sure that one block does not equal 1 block allowance unit. IIRC things like basic construction blocks might be just 1, but complex blocks like fabricators or guns might cost something like 100, but I don't know the exact number so don't quote me on that.

What I do know is that every tech, without any oher blocks other than a cab or an anchor would cost 125 units each, so having multiple techs out will quickly drain the block allowance.

Therefore, yes, it really isn't enough, but without it the game literally wouldn't exist at all on consoles so unfortunately the block allowance is here to stay.

MrTwister

I don't... think you understand how computers work. You have described RAM or memory, specifically video memory. This is not related to processing power and does not, by itself, tell you how high performing a computer or console is. I'm not trying to be condescending by explaining this, but keep reading if you want the basics.

RAM determines the size of the data which can be processed at any given time. Things like 3D meshes, lighting, rendering, and textures, which all exists as discrete files of various sizes. Complex texture maps (like from a realistic 3D game) can be huge in size and there can be many of them. This means the device needs lots of RAM to be able to manipulate these large files. If the hard-drive is your freezer, RAM is the cutting board where you prepare the food. RAM is actually quite cheap. It's typically the cheapest component of a computer.

Processing speed is how many operations per second the computer can perform, and is measured in GHz (gigahertz) and performed by the CPU (or processor). Every time the computer does something with data, it is performing operations on it. Things like layering a texture file to a 3D mesh, computing damage done to an enemy, computing the physics of an explosion, or showing the movement in a fiery particle effect. In my food analogy, this is how fast the chef can cut and prepare the food. Furthermore, processors are notoriously expensive. A middle-of-the-road gaming computer can easily have half its entire cost just in the processor.

Typically, because consoles have to be less than $400 and have to render very pretty AAA games, they prioritize graphics (as you have described) over processor. Terratech is very processor intensive because it's literally a physics simulator. It has to perform physics calculations on every block in your tech at every instant. However, because it is graphically simple, it does not require much RAM. So my original point stands. Hope that helps.
My small 50 cents on this:

While Ghz is still useful for guidance, it is not a reliable measure of power anymore as the industry has mostly reached a physical limit of semiconductor technology and in general a practical home computer is unlikely to surpass 4-5 Ghz unless there is a fundamental physics breakthrough in the industry like photonic transistors or something similar.

While the GHz is effectively the rpm of your engine the volume of the engine and torque per revolution also matters, in computer tech this is measured in instructions per cycle and the size and complexity of the instruction set of a particular CPU.

Because we have been at 3-4ghz limit for almost a decade now, the arms race goes in the direction of 1) more and more complex instructions per cycle. and 2) processing parallelism with more CPU "cores" (independent processing units) aimed at the same computer program.

Overall 1) is more important for performance than 2), because full parallelism is hard to achieve and has a big reliance on the software developers and theirs skills.

In practice, even AAA grade games with huge budgets and done by industry veterans with 30 years of experience will not achieve full load splitting between CPU cores and will be limited in performance by the heaviest "main" thread.

Also, for all intents and purposes, the computer "is" the CPU, as this is where the primary computation happens and a good CPU doesn't come cheaply. PC by definition is a lot more powerful, as it can be physically much larger, 2-10 times more expensive, can run hotter and louder and can draw 3-10 times more electrical power.

In this sense, the console gaming market is hostage to its own accessibility strategy as at $300-400 price tag limit for the entire machine you can't get much of a CPU. Because there is a clear capability gap and a limit between console and PC, there also exists a limit in scope for the games that can appear on either platform. This is especially evident in game segments which rely on physics simulations or large scale battles with many entities.

There are entire genres which have very low representation on consoles, such as RTS games (my favourite), large scale engineering games, some space and exploration simulation games. Games like Planetary Annihilation, Supreme Commander, Sins of a Solar Empire, Ashes of Singularity are simply not released on consoles because they can't be properly run on them, because they require large scale concurrent simulations.

Interestingly, there is a tendency for newer generation consoles to become larger and more expensive to try to diminish that gap, who knows, maybe one day consoles will become just as powerful. However at the moment it is amazing that Terratech is featured at all on the consoles.

bert432

What console you on that has 7k block allowance? Ps4 has 5k in campaign

Also like to point out that the block cap indicated on blocks is incorrect. example: GSO cosmonaut sap cab block cap 20, but when placed it's over 120+ in the block allowance

Last edited:

HeX

TerraTech Modder Manager
What console you on that has 7k block allowance? Ps4 has 5k in campaign

Also like to point out that the block cap indicated on blocks is incorrect. example: GSO cosmonaut sap cab block cap 20, but when placed it's over 120+ in the block allowance
Because it has more functions when acting as a cab than when it is just a block.

xenomicgaming

i love terratech and waste my life playing it
I wish they did, but consoles do not have enough power to handle that. Also, because of console restrictions, they can't do it anyway.

Website
duckduckgo.com
Also like to point out that the block cap indicated on blocks is incorrect. example: GSO cosmonaut sap cab block cap 20, b
That's because if you place it on its own in a world, it would count as an individual tech with around 120ish block cap. If you place a cab onto an existing tech, it would take 20 block cap, the correct amount.

This happens with anchors too, or anything else which can act as a tech on its own.