Bloated Save File Causing FPS Hitching in Co-Op Campaign Save

Falchoin

In my long running co-op campaign save I am getting hitching issues where the screen freezes for up to a second. It happens more often when enemies spawn, die, or blocks are spawned from a chest. However, sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason. It may be tied to loose blocks on the ground which never despawned? I don't have this hitching problem in other co-op campaign saves or when connected to others.

Attached is the save file.

EDIT: Just tried flying over 10k units away and it's still happening.
EDIT2: My guess is that it's tied to something bloating the file size. Even my longer running campaign save is only 1MB whereas this co-op campaign file is over 2MB.
EDIT3: May be tied to the GSO Wide Gauge STUD Laser bits not despawning properly. I've noticed that piece specifically sticking around for a long time after everything else poofs.

Attachments

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
My guess is that it's tied to something bloating the file size. Even my longer running campaign save is only 1MB whereas this co-op campaign file is over 2MB.
Interesting thought. :)Hmmm... But I get the 1 to 1.2 second hangs ever 60 seconds (from auto-saving world) in regular campaign. And my save file is only 600kb.:confused: Really could do with some way (any way) to stop this happening.

Sdarks

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Looks like this is caused by some bad data getting saved in your auto save. This is making the auto save take 5+ seconds which is causing your freeze. I've fixed it and it should make it into the next build (unstable or stable, whatever we put out next)

Sdarks

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Interesting thought. :)Hmmm... But I get the 1 to 1.2 second hangs ever 60 seconds (from auto-saving world) in regular campaign. And my save file is only 600kb.:confused: Really could do with some way (any way) to stop this happening.
I have unfortunately not fixed this one with my fix. Just reduced the 5-10 second save back to the normal auto save time.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com

Sdarks

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
You have a much slower HDD, Sam? (Not 'spinning rust', I hope?;))
Actually I'm running off an SSD :) but I imagine Falchoin would have been getting 5-10 second freezes with the amount of data it was writing. It was generating 300MB of garbage and writing 90,000+ bits of data more than it should!
Is there scope for a significant improvement/removal of the regular campaign hangs, then?
I'd love to look into ways we can go about fixing that. Even if it's just an option to turn off auto saves for those making videos or similar.

Falchoin

Glad to hear it's been fixed and thank you for the explanations. Will the old save file be slimmed down or at least playable without the constant hitching after the fix gets pushed to unstable/stable?

Sdarks

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Glad to hear it's been fixed and thank you for the explanations. Will the old save file be slimmed down or at least playable without the constant hitching after the fix gets pushed to unstable/stable?
It will, it will play the same as any other normal save and when you resave the size will be cut down