Black Screen of Death

FieryWOLFy

Sep 18, 2015
ok, so I've been having this particular problem three times so far(so thought it was time to post it)(and I didn't see any posts relating to black screens). When I continue my last save, the save loads.....kinda.....heres what happens
1. after I click continue, the screen goes black as usual.(it always goes black for a second before loading my world)
2. It stays black.
3. I press esc, the menu comes up as usual (background remains black)
5. It goes away really quickly
6. The ingame music will start playing after the normal time interval. I cannot tell if i'm able to move a bot around(no sound). But I do get that sound that happens when I switch bots(when I randomly clicking in the blackness, I eventually get the sound)
7. Restarting the game(program) has had no affects so far.

The first time this happened, I quickly figured that if I press esc during the loading when it does to a save, It caused everything to load normally. 2nd time the black screen of death striked again, I did the same, but I lost all my lvs and everything was once again undiscovered. So started new world. This is the new world and the screen of blackness came back after some days(about 4ish).

Any suggestions on how to solve it? (cause making a new world is such a pain with discovering things........can't bring over my bots until i discover those pieces.....)

edit* somethings appears to come up when i load the save. First something with a text box? Then the 2nd has some text with 2 options? maybe? they go away too fast for me to read it

hahadead7777

Aug 1, 2015
The text that appears then dissapears might be an crash report thing. When this happens again (assuming you have played since) attach your output log. A lot of random errors/issues can be fixed just by looking at them.

FieryWOLFy

Sep 18, 2015
Can you tell me how to go about that?(as I don't know anything about any log files)

hahadead7777

Aug 1, 2015
Can you tell me how to go about that?(as I don't know anything about any log files)
This is how my directory is and yours should either be the same or familiar. Windows8_OS(C: )>ProgramFiles(x86)>Steam>Steamapps>Common>TerraTech Beta>TerraTechWin64_Data in there you should see output_log.txt That should say what is going on in the game. Upload that here and hopefully a fix can be found. Also if you go to your steam library, right click TerraTech, click properties, and go to Browse local files that will also take you there.

IceFireXD

Aug 21, 2015
edit* somethings appears to come up when i load the save. First something with a text box? Then the 2nd has some text with 2 options? maybe? they go away too fast for me to read it
Well, I've had this happen to me and can be of... some... assistance on this. Unfortunately, It's not good news. What is happening is the game is crashing before the screen can even load. I'm not sure why the game fades in the way it does (I'd guess it's to hide the world loading), but what is happening is the game getting stuck before the "fade in" effect can begin. Thus, the world is stuck in black. To the best of my knowledge, there's no way to fix this. You'll have to just start a new game.

It sucks, especially since it occurs with no warning or signs of issue before hand, but the game is still in heavy development, so we can't be too upset. Having to start over is pretty normal.

My advice for moving forward is take snapshots. Lots of snapshots. You can always delete unneeded snapshots later.

H'Tek

Aug 27, 2019
Hi people. * Black screen *. Personally, I solved this problem simply. Go to the save folder, find the folder with the launch date with the black screen, and copy your latest save from the previous version where everything was normal. Glad if someone will help. Good luck.