Binary counter, timer (using Alternator Conveyors & Component Factory glitch)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
The bad news is that component factories still continue to order resource chunks that they can't accept, when their output is blocked (as per this bug report). The good new is that this allows you to make a pulse generator with a configurable, fixed interval (by adjusting the number of conveyor blocks between the resource silo and the factory's input).
The alternator conveyors are then simply lined up, a since they function as pre-made 'flip-flops' (aka divide by 2 counters). A line of 6 of them will count, in binary, to 64, before outputting a resource chunk from the end (5 bit would be 32, 4bit 16, etc). A red arrow pointing right indicates a binary '1', while the red arrow in the down state indicates binary '0'. The counter I've made reads backwards, because I'm silly like that (should have made it run right to left, or just looked at it from the other side!).

From the video's time codes, it seems that a count of 64 takes 66 seconds. Presumably the game is loosing a couple of seconds per minute to those momentary hangs (background saving, or whatever). The presumption being that when the pacemaker is set to 'turbo', a resource chunk travels (precisely) four conveyor blocks per second (4 times faster than normal, I think).

This is just a proof of concept, for fun, and to claim the idea first :p;), if it really has been done already?!o_O

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
Excellent proof of concept; combining this proof of concept with conveyor filters could lead to some interesting factory tech behaviors.

Reactions: JimmyBlether

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
couldn't you make this without the component factory?
Good question. Sure, just a free flowing loop would still operate the binary counter fine. But the timing would be all over the place, since the return path length changes depending on which position the chunk gets spat out at.

With this build, the main silo buffers against slow returning chuncks, while the factory ensures a fixed time interval dispatch. That's the pacemaker, while the logic just counts the pulses.

Not sure there's much you could do with this currently. With a bigger version you could probably count intervals as long as you like. Probably make a non-binary display of chunks., for easier reading. So you could hide one in a save file, to see how long someone had spent in it.

But as for outputs, the chunk outputs can only trigger... What? Finishing crafting a block that will drop out a fabricator. Or fire it off for cash.

More (complex) logical operations could be done with other configurations, I think. Note, of course, that these alternators can divide by 3 too, so you can easily count to any number that's a multiple of 2s and 3s.

Last edited: