Big Pete is Severely Underused

Geocorp Jumper

May 24, 2016
I kinda already knew this, but it becomes more apparent every time I’m working on a new world and get the GC unlock quest. You only ever see Big Pete the one time. After you hand him about 15 resource chunks, he gives you the license and that’s the last you see of him. Even Atom shows up more often, and RR is still in early stages.

Now, I won’t lie, I wouldn’t really want Big Pete to just keep appearing and asking me to do the various GC missions, all because he’s taking a “well-deserved break.”

In fact, I’d almost prefer he take on a different character bio altogether. Instead of the implicitly lazy trope, I’d rather he be something of a project manager. After you do him a favor and help him meet his quota that first time, he offers you the license and recruits you as one of his contractors. Then, for some of the main GC missions (pretty much all the harvester ones), Big Pete will be the one to come and brief you on your tasks. He can even just drop in right next to you like Sergeant Smash does sometimes.

As for how to change the dialogue of the unlock mission, I say it should go something like this: Big Pete sees you from a distance and asks you to come over. He complains about one of his contractors (either they’ve been slacking and need to be fired, or just went missing), and worries that he won’t meet his quota for the day. He asks if you can bring him the last few resources he needs to meet his quota.
After you bring him the resources, he thanks you, recruits you as one of his contractors, and then says something to the effect of: “Oh, and you can have the other guy’s license. He won’t be needing it anymore.”

Side note: this lazy/missing employee could be another fun story arc for a revenge/rescue mission.