Better Mission Bases - Techs Wanted!

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
and that's with having multiple component factories in a loop.
Well, your submitted base does need a second Component Factory in order to make use of the Complex Dongle in auto-crafting. (That was the main issue.) Dongles have to be in ascending order along hte conveyor (unless you want resources to travel around a loop repeatedly for funs). I demonstrated this here in my last vid.

(If you post your campaign base with problems somewhere else, I'll debug that for you.)

The bugs to be aware of are Filters and Refineries jamming up and skipping resources if you have them transferring from conveyor to another conveyor. (Filters miss 1 in 3, refineries 1 in 6.) If you have them input directly from, or to, a Silo you can get them to run without missing a beat.

So, for input refining I'd have a single Refinery attached directly to a 2x2 Silo that takes all inputs and a Filter that only outputs refined chunks. A simplification of what you already have. I'd send input components to a delivery canon. So maybe have the scrapper at the bottom input too. And for the sake of this submission, maybe scrap one or two deployed resource blocks.

a more vertical approach instead of a spread-out flat one.
Absolutely. I approve. ;):)

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
"CFS Perhonen 2 Lv4" - My primary CFS demonstrator base, now with bubbles. Wasn't possible to deploy compressed resource blocks to the correct scrappers reliably, even if I removed the SCUs. So unfortunately players won't be greeted by a Silo rainbow, they just have to load it themselves...

ZG CFS Perhonen2 Lv4.png

Last edited:

cipher

Well, your submitted base does need a second Component Factory in order to make use of the Complex Dongle in auto-crafting. (That was the main issue.) Dongles have to be in ascending order along hte conveyor (unless you want resources to travel around a loop repeatedly for funs). I demonstrated this here in my last vid.

(If you post your campaign base with problems somewhere else, I'll debug that for you.)

The bugs to be aware of are Filters and Refineries jamming up and skipping resources if you have them transferring from conveyor to another conveyor. (Filters miss 1 in 3, refineries 1 in 6.) If you have them input directly from, or to, a Silo you can get them to run without missing a beat.
Thanks!

I worked on a new version today that now successfully crafts anything (except skipping the basic blocks that use unrefined resources). It seems that if you keep them all in one simple loop they work. If you have multiple loops they seem to get confused.

I'll post the new base very soon, just uploading videos now. Different base, only one mount point on the ground with high sides to help with steep sloping terrain.

Last edited:

cipher

I've attempted to solve some of the issues I faced in my other design, so here's a new one. :)

cipher Baseageddon

And when the exploding bolts trigger, down pop weapon platforms...

This tech uses the tanks to act as a hinge, so they each had to have a control block. Since they'll be separate techs at that point, they won't be able to control the gun turret mounting point. Also, I didn't want to spam too many weapons on these platforms, but there's plenty of room for more to scale difficulty.

Spin to win (but spinning serves little purpose with no weapon line of fire in this mode)...

Crafting complex items works now...

Feel free to let me know what you think, both good and bad. :D

Attachments

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
And when the exploding bolts trigger, down pop weapon platforms...
That's awesome; exactly the spirit of this submissions thread, which has explosive bolts in mind, and what @zanzistar seemed to have in mind.:) Unfortunately....

None of the fold down flaps will ever fire, as they'll all be stuck permanently in build beams. Because of the cab reorientation bug, they all think they are 90 degrees on their backs. (Try setting them to enemy in R&D with [T]+[LMB].) So either this base won't be added to the game, or it'll just be a dud enemy. (Unless there's a dev change of heart/priorities and they actually fix the bug.)

cipher

None of the fold down flaps will ever fire, as they'll all be stuck permanently in build beams. Because of the cab reorientation bug, they all think they are 90 degrees on their backs. (Try setting them to enemy in R&D with [T]+[LMB].) So either this base won't be added to the game, or it'll just be a dud enemy. (Unless there's a dev change of heart/priorities and they actually fix the bug.)
I can always rotate the cabs so that they'll be straight up and down... but then after they fire, they'll think they're upside down, correct? I'll play with it tonight.

If the cabs will be a problem, then I can just use the bolts to lets the flaps fall away in piece, and mount the guns on the main structure. At least then they'll use the turret too.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I can always rotate the cabs so that they'll be straight up and down...
The build beams activation is triggered if the tech fragment is rotated more than 45 degrees from it's original grid's upright. However, the build beam orients the tech to make it's primary cab the right way up. Different things, of course.

So the only way to get it to leave the build beam is if the fragment is back in it's original orientation (i.e. door closed, for your tech - unhelpful). Any tech fragment that pivots down will be stuck in BB.

mount the guns on the main structure.
Yeah, that would work. Keep tech as is but move the guns. (Still unfortunate.)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I was definitely hoping to see more, bigger multi-tech designs. With spindly bits, or whatever. Maybe this will help get that ball rolling (although, again, these are dogged by the BB glitch and need to figure out compromises to accommodate it, for now).

As I said, if you exceed 45 degrees, (even just barely) the build beam activation will rip off your limbs:

But you could angle out a little less than that. Or push it out all the way to exactly 90 degrees, so the build beam simply holds the fragment steady (as with @cipher's tech):

Multi-jointed limbs are probably not practical. I cheated with this one, using the hover bug to unfold the end-section and raise it up to horizontal. But that's an 80m span, that could be mirrored on the other side... (Note that I started hitting the tech fragment scrambling bug with limb segments longer than that, blocks falling off for no reason, fragment displacement, etc.)

I'm kinda planning to make a base tech with 4 horizontal limbs on a single join. That can charge allied techs and maybe collect + burn/sell resources via the limbs. But no one hold back on my account, if that sounds like a fun idea.:)

Save file attached of second demo, in case anyone what's a quick play with it.

Edit: of course, the limbs break when you reload the world or area too... Of course they do.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zorgomol

Not a Number
So, well, I don't like building big bases because it's more fun to get all the functionality in a small package (and causes less lag, too) but x-bolt/multitech base, sure. This here is a simple Van Der Graaf type crafting base with the addition of four detachable satellite defenders. And since they have a tendency to get stuck on top of the silos I hadded some launch platform/ramps for them which also detach and it's still going to be a rough landing. The crafting part itself is fairly modest, apart from ten component factories, but at GSO level 5 players should have no trouble crafting those by the dozen either. The recipe is hardly demanding.

The main base part is also fairly easy to improve and extend, which is left as an exercise for the player who captures it. ;)

GSO FabTower Sats.png

Galrex

Possibilist
Website
steamcommunity.com
So, well, I don't like building big bases because it's more fun to get all the functionality in a small package (and causes less lag, too) but x-bolt/multitech base, sure. This here is a simple Van Der Graaf type crafting base with the addition of four detachable satellite defenders. And since they have a tendency to get stuck on top of the silos I hadded some launch platform/ramps for them which also detach and it's still going to be a rough landing. The crafting part itself is fairly modest, apart from ten component factories, but at GSO level 5 players should have no trouble crafting those by the dozen either. The recipe is hardly demanding.

The main base part is also fairly easy to improve and extend, which is left as an exercise for the player who captures it. ;)

View attachment 23844
Anyone notice some hoverbugs plates here? :rolleyes:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
This here is a simple Van Der Graaf type crafting base
Awesome, I was hoping there might be one with stacked Component Factories. Is it a "Van Der Graaf" because of the overall shape? I really like it.:)

Is it meant to take a mix of compressed blocks in dedicated scrappers (for the 6 mined resources), and harvested resources in 4-Pack Silos? That's cool too; something I've not seen done before. (Will puzzle the heck of of players, heh.)

And since they have a tendency to get stuck on top of the silos I hadded some launch platform/ramps for them which also detach and it's still going to be a rough landing.
That is pretty unfortunate... I really do know how much of a pain it is when a whole sub-section of tech in in completely the wrong place, and the only way to darn well move it is to rebuild it from scratch... The ramp techs are quite cluttery, though. And even when deployed OK, it looks likely that half the mobile techs will wedge themselves under the base (just the right height). But anyway, bigger issue...

for the player who captures it.
I'm sorry to say, as things stand, this design is not going to be used as a capture objective, because the fragments have weapons. Not unless Kris has a change of plans:
Update from developer @zanzistar: he's planning to split these submissions into two categories when he puts them into the game:

(1) Passive bases will be the captured base objective (given to player).

(2) Aggressive techs will replace one of the defending enemies. (So turrets should be fine for this category, I guess.)

I'm not clear on how a mainly passive base tech would be classed, if it splits off small aggressive fragment techs (but it's primary cab is part of the main base - important).
What I'd really like you to do, to ensure that this can be a capture base, is to just strip off all the mobile parts (sadly). make sure it has no weapons at all. And no hover plates either, of course (level 5).

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
"Bumper Crew" - A base guardian cluster, and/or an Explosive Bolts tech for Enemy Army missions. Just a turret and 4 mobile techs with relatively high artistic value (for GSO).

Snapshot:
ZG Bumper Crew.png

Separated (jpg):

It's a whole family of enemy techs (Scout, Engineer, Airforce, Soldier), based around bumper wheels (and Cow Catcher Ploughs). I made them just over a year ago, to help increase the number of techs using the new wheel blocks. They were supposedly added to game, as part of the "New Population-Techs" thread, but I've never seen any of them in game. This, despite seeing "Factory Mitosis", also from that thread, about 6 times (mostly in other YouTubers' vids).

I've redesigned the scout and added extra side wheels to the others, to avoid them toppling with the buffed wheels. Plus, removed the Payload Terminals from Soldier, Vanity yellow hat form Engineer and the couple of additional lights, in case these were an issue limiting spawning them. Anchors from underneath a couple of them too.

Zip file of the separate techs here, in case @zanzistar would like to (re)add them as enemies, too.

Last edited:

Zorgomol

Not a Number
Weird, I could have sworn it said the small hoverplates were level 4... whatever, they are not important. Not a big deal, I have the bare crafting base as a separate snapshot anyway already.

GSO FabTower.png

It is already a variation of yet another older crafting tech which was all-out using GC scrappers. I just did a bit of a mix-and-match just for fun.

And for fun, well, there's this thing...

Dropbox.png

It should be a functional crafting base (with limitations) but it is also a joke, worthy of a smile or maybe a facepalm.

EDIT: updated techs a little bit.

Last edited:
Here's a base, it has some basic crafting stuff inside and anchors pretty well on hilly terrain.
It also has some carbius blocks which will get scrapped and used as fuel. Or if you kill all the base guardians quickly you can sabotage the conveyor line so you get to keep the carbius :). Bert.png
Edit: I've improved the design.
Bert V2.png

Last edited:

-=ROOSTER=-

Complete Idiot
I made this thing a while back, at the time I was thinking it would be good for one of those "Rescue the tech" missions. With the parameters of this project starting to seem fluid here lately, I figured what the heck, all they can do is say "no", and I think I would probably live through it if they did. The idea with this particular one is that the indigenous people (and there must be some, being that there is an alien biome) happened across Big Tony and regarded him as a deity, turned his selling base into a shrine. Then the base was attacked by the usual group of marauders, and the native having fled left Tony in danger. Pretty lame I know, but the base is cool. :) AlienTempleBase1.png

Zorgomol

Not a Number
Let's have some more because designing crafting bases is fun and I like towers. These are built around a central helix conveyor and while they have very small terrain footprint, you can fit a lot of stuff in 16 Mixed Lotsa Silos. Possibly even too much to give players all at once.
Barrel Roll D.png Barrel Stroll D.png

So I made yet another one and this is my favorite of the three. The last variant was taken over by drunken pirate AIs and was very poorly maintained. As blocks broke down they were just knocked off and the remaining gap was jerry-rigged back to some functionality by whatever bits and pieces the pirates had at hand. A crafty player can easily restore it back to full operating order.

Decrepit Tower.png

As you can probably notice, drunken pirate AIs do not always make very rational choices.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I have the bare crafting base as a separate snapshot anyway already.

There's a bunch of Lasers underneath the Silos on this Snapshot, too. I don't know how strict Kris will be with making weaponed techs into guardians, so it might be safe to just remove them.

Everyone - feel free to edit updated versions into your old posts (with a little note there too), to be sure the wrong versions don't get used.

And for fun, well, there's this thing...

It should be a functional crafting base (with limitations) but it is also a joke, worthy of a smile or maybe a facepalm.
Heh, cool. I'd open up the sides of the resource hopper in the middle, though, so player might actually see what's going on. (I.e. remove those 2-Blocks closing it off.)

I'm not sure why you've used a rotating anchor for this...? Without the self collision optimisations (of fixed anchors), the resources struggle to move around the tech, and can turn it. Raw chunks might also get peeled off and enter the middle Silo (I did have a messy test environment, though).

Also, it might be cool to work in a Scrapper somehow. Both to this and a couple of your spiral towers, so it's in action during (and after) the mission...

These are built around a central helix conveyor and while they have very small terrain footprint, you can fit a lot of stuff in 16 Mixed Lotsa Silos. Possibly even too much to give players all at once.

So I made yet another one and this is my favorite of the three. The last variant was taken over by drunken pirate AIs and was very poorly maintained. As blocks broke down they were just knocked off and the remaining gap was jerry-rigged back to some functionality by whatever bits and pieces the pirates had at hand. A crafty player can easily restore it back to full operating order.

I love these.:D Favourite one agreed. I was actually working on a design with a very similar Silo Spiral loading mechanism, but I like your continuation of the spiral ramp with the CFs, better. These look really good in action, really adding to the jumbled impression of the ramshackle version, in particular...

So, as I've said it would be cool to make use (more) Scrappers and Explosive Bolts to provide feed stock (not necessarily Resource Blocks). So much more compelling for the player to see them in action.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Here's a base, it has some basic crafting stuff inside and anchors pretty well on hilly terrain.
It also has some carbius blocks which will get scrapped and used as fuel. Or if you kill all the base guardians quickly you can sabotage the conveyor line so you get to keep the carbius :).
Nice compact crafting turret. Cool.:) I would remove the roof on it though, so the player might see what's really going on with it.

Also, just be aware that this will end up being a base gaurdian, now, because it's be-weaponed (as I've said a couple times above). With this in mind, you might beef up the self healing with centrally stacked regen bubbles, to make it tougher. Larger structural blocks will hold it together far better too, against block detachment by damage. (only thoughts, up to you.:))