Better Mission Bases - Techs Wanted!

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
#1 is a base which comes with explosive bolt $$_Monies_$$. Has more than it looks, the batteries block pretty much all of the bottom. Has some weird anchoring on flat terrain.(As seen above)
#2 is just my campaign base with pure GSO. Seems decent in fabrication of pretty much anything. Some parts of it are unshielded because A: relatively new section, B: I'm lazy and all that.
As an afterthought #2 might be a little bit to big.

Last edited:

cipher

Here's one I made: cipher All_In_Tall

Two attached snapshots, one with 4 GSO Storm Lanterns, and one with the "x" at the end for no lights.

It's a base with all manufacturing techs Grade 4 and lower, and when the exploding bolts trigger it drops two small combat vehicles and releases two gun turrets. I attempted to have the gun turrets drop from a height to self-mount but I guess turrets don't self mount? So I have them instead mounted in the ground already.

Fully loaded with resources...

Quick demo...

Attachments

Aardvark123

Website
aardvark1998.deviantart.com
I have a freshly-picked castle for you:

Techa Castle.png

The Techa Castle has fairly powerful defences, but won't be too annoying as long as you keep your distance. There is a resource block at the top of each turret and two dongles in the central tower, just underneath the flag, which should make it worth capturing. It features several redundant cabs, too, so trigger-happy players are unlikely to destroy it altogether.

Edit: With respect to the new guidelines, I'd classify the castle as a passive tech.

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Update from developer @zanzistar: he's planning to split these submissions into two categories when he puts them into the game:

(1) Passive bases will be the captured base objective (given to player).

(2) Aggressive techs will replace one of the defending enemies. (So turrets should be fine for this category, I guess.)

I'm not clear on how a mainly passive base tech would be classed, if it splits off small aggressive fragment techs (but it's primary cab is part of the main base - important).

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I couldn't really reduce the length of the arms any more, because chunks were not getting picked up off the far side of the tech when I did. I know that I'm really pushing the requirements, but I want to keep it useful also.
Yeah, basically you've just added more blocks to it... :p:)

Whether of not the receivers will reach depends upon the size of the player's harvester tech, surely? Could be tiny or could be too big even for this design... Right? You could re-deign the tips of the arms, to have receivers around there too, boost the reach while shortening the length.

Also, see my previous post - if @zanzistar sticks to what I think he's saying, then this tech could now only be a base guardian, not the base itself, so the player will *have* to destroy it (because it has guns on it). So receiver reach would be moot.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah. Ultimately it's not up to me. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's definitely too many blocks!:eek:

By my rough estimate, there must be around 2.5k blocks in there! It reduced my FPS when loading it on it's own (in R&D admittedly). Then destroying it's bottom (the default target, with cab there), the loose blocks debris dropped me to around 10fps...

I'd say you should be aiming more towards 500-600 blocks, at the high end. And preferably under ~1k Block Allowance when including resources scrapped into Silos, as a vague guideline. (Thinking about it, these techs could be particularly problematic, if given to console players...)

I'm giving this feedback because I think that really tall base techs would look awesome!:) But to actually get them into the game, there will have to be compromises: making them skinnier and using GSO 4-Blocks instead of 1-Blocks, mostly skipping armour, etc.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com

SurvivalBase, A kinda scrappy (yet functional and organized) GSO Base.
Size is fine. :) And seems totally viable as a base submission. (You may have to de

But when you say 'functional', would you actually use this design? (I'm curious.) It looks to me like you've made the conveyor path as long as possible, for decoration. Is that a deliberate aesthetic? You'd have to manually craft each component too, of course, and there's so little silo space that you'd have to add the resources manually, as needed too...

I think it makes sense to give the enemies a range of designs, in terms of size, functionality and efficiency. And it's down to yourselves and Kris as to what ultimately goes in. But my (perfectionist?) instinct is to avoid designs that are functionally anti-optimised (or nonsense - see my following comments...).

Thoughts, all?

Fortified Crafter- A armored base that can rotate and collect ressources.
Oh, that's why it's on a rotating anchor... I'd probably have gone with fixed. Attaching the anchor to the rest of the tech with only a GSO 1-Block seems a little tenuous. The smaller blocks take basically no damage before falling off the tech. Again, I'd recommend using 3 or 4-blocks where ever possible.

The bubbles are a bit weirdly place at the base, there. I mean, 1 shield would be fine if just protecting the anchor stem (sensible). And 1 regen in line with that directly above... (I'm just being finicky, I guess.)

As for crafting, again - meh. I guess it could make some low level blocks, at a push. The generator's not realistically going to receive any fuel, but then there's no scrapper + explosive bolts to feed chunks in anyway. Maybe you could add that in, if you rework it a little. (And switch the generator and delivery canon around.):)

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Website
ngttadventures.blogspot.se
Thinking about it, these techs could be particularly problematic, if given to console players...
Any tech can be problematic for console players :D if there was that kind of restriction on PC i would quit after first week of playing.
I understood that it is not to be destroyed like you did, but given to players as reward for mission. So FPS will not be a problem. And I can make it so there is multiple cabs all over to make it resilient.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
This looks really cool and technical. With a ribbon of conveyor and such.:cool:

Of course, it's not actually going to be useable by a player to Fabricate things, in a realistic manner. I mean, the central Component Factory loop looks viable, but there's no Silo storage.

It's just a question of whether or not the devs want non-functional (but cool looking) techs in the game. Certainly I think it's appeared typical that the capture bases weren't actually useful. But that's something I wanted to change (at least in part) with my own submissions.

This looks like a work in progress, with conveyor spurs that have nothing on, 11 Silos (ready for one per resource) but no Filters, main conveyor loop travels the 'wrong' way, etc.

Again, this is fine, in giving the population a variety of levels of base functionality, I guess. And this style of flat base is typical of what players tend to make, as figuring out how everything works. :)

However, yeah, it's terribly wide and flat. Which means it's going to be pretty much impossible to anchor, I'd think. I mean, I don't know for sure how the game treats locating Capture bases... But this would only anchor on a nice clear section of salt flats, and most GSO missions seem like they end up in the grasslands. (More on testing deployment and anchoring in my next post, when I get around to it.)

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
This looks really cool and technical. With a ribbon of conveyor and such.:cool:

Of course, it's not actually going to be useable by a player to Fabricate things, in a realistic manner. I mean, the central Component Factory loop looks viable, but there's no Silo storage.

It's just a question of whether or not the devs want non-functional (but cool looking) techs in the game. Certainly I think it's appeared typical that the capture bases weren't actually useful. But that's something I wanted to change (at least in part) with my own submissions.

This looks like a work in progress, with conveyor spurs that have nothing on, 11 Silos (ready for one per resource) but no Filters, main conveyor loop travels the 'wrong' way, etc.

Again, this is fine, in giving the population a variety of levels of base functionality, I guess. And this style of flat base is typical of what players tend to make, as figuring out how everything works. :)

However, yeah, it's terribly wide and flat. Which means it's going to be pretty much impossible to anchor, I'd think. I mean, I don't know for sure how the game treats locating Capture bases... But this would only anchor on a nice clear section of salt flats, and most GSO missions seem like they end up in the grasslands. (More on testing deployment and anchoring in my next post, when I get around to it.)
#1: It's not really for crafting, just with the added option of being able to do it. It's mainly more of a really freaking fancy selling base. With excess complexity. And anyways, who needs silos? Thanks!
#2: I'm unsure what you're exactly talking about by "spurs."
The silos aren't filtered because (it's a waste of space, and) there's enough capacity to hold all the resources you need to create pretty much anything(and it's easy to just add more silos). I plan to increase all the silos to the 3x3 ones, sometime in the future.

Yay. Feeeeeeeeeeeeedback.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
#2: I'm unsure what you're exactly talking about by "spurs."
This little 'vestigial tail':

2018-09-05 Molse Duse Macro highlight.jpg

Fair enough with no Filters. No need for sure, just wondered.

Yay. Feeeeeeeeeeeeedback.
Yeah, sorry...:oops: I might be getting a little over-bearing, taking ownership of this thread, etc. Thanks for taking it positively.:)

@-=ROOSTER=- too - that tech is fine. Don't worry too much about my 'feedback'. Each submission will either go in, or not.

I may have exhausted Kris with my questions, too. So some weapons, or even weaponed tech fragments may mean your tech will be used as a 'decoy' base. Or not. I guess there should be some mystery to the game design process...

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I attempted to have the gun turrets drop from a height to self-mount but I guess turrets don't self mount? So I have them instead mounted in the ground already.

Yeah, it's a very limited height range that will actually anchor successfully (when the tech splits):
Hence I'm very dubious about this kind of design successfully making it into the game (without code changes), unfortunately. I mean, of the roughly 4 times I've seen my little turret cluster "Bank of Joe" be spawned in (as an "Enemy Army"), it's never once deployed all turrets successfully. And that's got a narrower width than this tech of yours.

Kris did reassure me that he'd find flat areas to spawn in, but I'm not sure exactly what that means. Even a Slat Flats area with a bit of a gradient can be too much (compared to R&D), and it seems to me like the flat areas are in demand by the Venture ramp missions and Hawkeye turret missions, etc (pushing the army missions into the grasslands, for example).

I did find a spot in a creative save that we might each use as a test spot for anchoring, to give a rough idea. Save attached. (Specifically, the fairly level but uneven grasslands area the plan is sat in.)

I think that enemy base spawning maybe uses something like the replace-current-tech type of tech loading, that player can use only in Creative and R&D modes. Because this loading seems to guarantee anchoring, even if the tech ends up intersecting the ground... [Edit, except for @Aardvark123's castle, oddly.]

2018-09-05 Base inside hill.jpg

While fiddling with this, I figured out that the overall height of the tech (relative to the terrain underneath) is determined by the primary anchor. Like the primary cab, this is the anchor block that was attached to the tech first. So you can specify which part of the underside to key off.

TestPrimeAnchor.png

^ Test tech (snapshot) you can fiddle with and re-snapshot to see how attachment order affects anchoring. (Dongles indicate order, 1 to 3.)

Attachments

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
@cipher - I think there were some crafting issues with the design too, if you're interested? And again not sure if this will matter, as in: whether or not your little drone guards (I like the little scale of them), will make this an 'aggressive' guardian tech.

I have a freshly-picked castle for you:

It's very pretty.:) Although I'm a bit confused by the bubble placement. Is there a logic, it's seems a little half complete...

Also, how about maybe having the resource (treasure) blocks loose in the tower tops, by deploying them with explosive bolts? (Unnecessary? Probably.)

Edit: With respect to the new guidelines, I'd classify the castle as a passive tech.
I'd want it to be the central tech too. But this has a quite a few weapons (quite reasonably), so if the decoy techs are a thing, it would presumably be one. (I kinda hope that's not a thing, because this mission can be confusing enough as it is, with the objective marked as an enemy.)

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
This little 'vestigial tail':

View attachment 23802

Fair enough with no Filters. No need for sure, just wondered.

Yeah, sorry...:oops: I might be getting a little over-bearing, taking ownership of this thread, etc. Thanks for taking it positively.:)

@-=ROOSTER=- too - that tech is fine. Don't worry too much about my 'feedback'. Each submission will either go in, or not.

I may have exhausted Kris with my questions, too. So some weapons, or even weaponed tech fragments may mean your tech will be used as a 'decoy' base. Or not. I guess there should be some mystery to the game design process...
That "spur" is for refining chunks when making resource blocks. I ran it once(using a bunch of unrefined), and well... You can try it. It doesn
't work. You're supposed to put a(Name for Conveyor/Filter(I mean it looks like a filter and acts like one, at least concerning silos from watching TT) that splits chunks into multiple outputs. See spoiler)n alternator conveyor in replacement of the conveyor leading up to the gap, and place the conveyor to bridge the gap. This splits the unrefined resource so 1. the unrefined doesn't flow past in an unstoppable wave, making the refinery not be able to produce, and 2. because of how the unrefined gets split, 100% of it gets refined when put through the system. Because of how large the "spur" had to be, the unrefined gets shoved straight into the refinery without blocking the refined, as the other chunks following the other path take precedence upon the split track(I think. Even if it doesn't, it doesn't matter, as it will still work fine.).
For some reason when you have the "spur" active, you can't actually craft stuff. Which is why it's unattached in the snapshot. To be fair, I could've kept the "Splitting Thing," and just put it where the gap is, but whatever.
Ux2 Crafty Seller.png

Last edited:

cipher

Yeah, it's a very limited height range that will actually anchor successfully (when the tech splits):
I tried every single block height from 1 to about 8 or so, and on a perfectly flat surface in R&D the turrets never mounted in the ground when the explosive bolts were triggered. They just landed and never mounted. So I don't even trust that experiment someone else did because those turrets had no other blocks or weight on them.

Kris did reassure me that he'd find flat areas to spawn in, but I'm not sure exactly what that means. Even a Slat Flats area with a bit of a gradient can be too much (compared to R&D), and it seems to me like the flat areas are in demand by the Venture ramp missions and Hawkeye turret missions, etc (pushing the army missions into the grasslands, for example).

I did find a spot in a creative save that we might each use as a test spot for anchoring, to give a rough idea. Save attached. (Specifically, the fairly level but uneven grasslands area the plan is sat in.)
I also tried it in Creative mode and didn't have much of a problem at all except in hilly areas. The tech did just fine on slightly wavy terrain provided there were no steep slopes.

Hopefully for other techs, not just mine, the devs can work on the spawn code to help mounted bases and turrets spawn in correctly or find areas that would work. I tried to make the base itself fairly narrow, but the turrets need to be separated a bit to allow them to turn without running into the base.

While fiddling with this, I figured out that the overall height of the tech (relative to the terrain underneath) is determined by the primary anchor. Like the primary cab, this is the anchor block that was attached to the tech first. So you can specify which part of the underside to key off.
That's a good observation! :) Good to know with other bases I use in campaign and such.

The primary anchor on this tech I included here is the absolute middle one.

cipher

@cipher - I think there were some crafting issues with the design too, if you're interested?
Sure, feel free to share here. The only issue I encountered was not being able to craft complex items that require components to make other components that are used in the final item. I'd have to craft those two-level deep components first, let them float around the conveyor belts, then craft the final item and it works. Even in my own bases I couldn't get two-level deep components to work for single-click crafting, and that's with having multiple component factories in a loop. Perhaps this is a bug or requires an awkward workaround?

Other than that I didn't see any issues. I set the filter for combustion to just fibron since I personally don't like wasting other resources for power. But whenever someone else controls this, they can always set the filter to combustion resources. It also has a couple filters on it that are turned off which allow resources to go back down through the system when desired. Generally all resources are refined, since only starting blocks require unrefined resources to craft. I also like the idea of separating out resources to see exactly what you have instead of using mixed holders.

I didn't want to make this one a complete crafting solution base, but wanted to give all of the basics in a more vertical approach instead of a spread-out flat one. I see flat bases all the time. Heck, I even make my own bases in campaigns flat. :) The idea was to get a manufacturing base that was fairly compact in its footprint.