Better Mission Bases - Techs Wanted!

Discussion in 'Techs' started by ZeroGravitas, Aug 31, 2018.

1. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Following on from the call for Explosive Bolts techs (which are already in 1.0.0.1 Unstable missions!:)). This project arose from my self-stocking base tech submissions and a subsequent conversation with game designer Kris (AKA @zanzistar). He's agreed to put new bases in too, if we can get at least 20 from as many different people as possible.

Again, the requirements are as follows (my numbering):
    ... Because these techs will be used for capture the base type GSO missions at GSO level 5 [only].

Additional specifications:

(3) Medium sized - no lag-tastic monsters or tiny embarrassments.

(4) Avoid spamming block types - unlike destroyed enemies, players will likely get all the blocks from these techs, so we don't want to gift them 100 Wireless Chargers, batteries, Fabricators, etc, etc. Example of what to avoid, from 16:38 in this recent Tenzen video:
    Cropper2018-08-31-05-03-16-1969686.jpg
    Conveyors, Silos and crafting blocks, etc, are fine within reason, of course. If the blocks are necessary for cool functionality or novelty, then I'm sure it'll be considered.

(5) Explosive Bolts will deploy when the base aggros on the player (at 100-150m) or a random enemy - there is no coder support allocated for this project, so it'll use the existing mechanics.

(6) Easily anchored - please test out how reliably your tech will load in on hilly terrain (e.g. in Creative mode). These missions are not restricted to [perfectly] flat areas and techs that don't stand up will be removed during the quality assurance process (if they get that far).

I tend to use a single anchor point and raised stem, on my base techs. But I think it'll be OK if some splayed legs are up in the air, sometimes.

General Guidelines (advisory):

(7) Use shields and/or regen bubbles - the bases are initially enemies in the missions, I'd strongly suggest making them resilient enough to tolerate a little accidental fire. To avoid players failing the mission too easily.

(8) Bases can have their own weapons - or be totally passive (they'll have allies for defence, too). Avoid making it purely a turret. I think those designs make the "capture" mission objective confusing, and there have been new Hawkeye missions added specifically focusing on turrets as objectives, anyway. [Edit: I've been told that aggressive bases may be included as defending enemy techs, instead.]

(9) Crafting techs should be functional - I'll probably try to check out submissions, to ensure they don't suffer from problematic crafting bugs (still no dev fixes scheduled in). My own submissions will focus mostly on functional Fabrication, but that is not necessary for all.

(10) Be creative! - you needn't use the Explosive Bolts, either, but it would definitely be cool to see some transforming techs or revealing themselves from hiding. Multi-techs, etc. (As well as self-filling by scrapping Resource Blocks.)

(11) Be wary of bugs with tech splitting and mutli-techs - examples:
    • Tech fragments (without the primary cab - first attached) will forget all Filter settings, drop Silo contents and loose Conveyor direction changes (reverting to original block attachment priority). [Report]
    • Tech fragments with cabs that were facing straight up/down, on the original tech, will get stuck in build beam. [Report]
    (12) Be wary of FPS reduction - In addition to total block count, use light blocks very sparingly (like half a dozen max, they are very taxing of hardware when on). Avoid too many fragments. Be aware of projectile (gun) spam.

(13) Make it good! - the initial target was for 20 techs. I expect more will be accepted if they are of sufficient quality. So take your time, and make them shine. :)

(14) You have 2 weeks from today - Go! (Submissions after this might still be accepted, but no guarantees - they are usually added in bulk, for efficiency.)

So the deadline is Friday the 14th of September. I currently have no idea if @Matt might show the submissions in a dev stream.

#1 ZeroGravitas, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  2. ZeroGravitas

I'll abuse my thread starting privilege to kick off with my aforementioned crafting bases:

These count as 'medium' sized bases, but I think that the number of resource chunks that they scrap into Silos will push up towards the boarder-line of what's acceptable, in terms of FPS decrease.

I'll be working on making a couple more of my crafting guide examples 'campaign ready' too... :)

Edit 2018-09-17: I've reduced the number of resource blocks on the "8xLotsa Static", new snapshot attached here.

Attached Files:

#2 ZeroGravitas, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  3. Nightblade Greyswandir

Nightblade Greyswandir Nothing is good enough!

Do you mind to separate this in two categories, base with component fabs. and without them. I think that it would be nice to have some small refining/selling/recharging bases for lower levels 1-2 and then bigger 4.comp.fabs fully production bases latter.

I will make both types.
    See you on my stream latter during weekend doing this!

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  4. ZeroGravitas

To be clear, we are only making end-game mission bases. The techs that will appear once you reach GSO level 5. That's all that's on the table. I don't know why. (Maybe for simplicity of implementation - avoiding potential issues in the earlier parts of the game that are played more. Or because that was the limits of the remit agreed with the Explosive Bolts project.)

So, sure, make a base with only modest refining-selling capabilities, but maybe integrate some other features: charging, weapons, decorative structures, I guess we could deploy mobile techs too (although I'm currently uncertain as to how the mission objective completion system will treat the fragment techs)...

Another thought: maybe people could use an existing mission tech that they've seen in game, for inspiration, and totally re-imagine it to be far better, totally overhauled, optimised, whatever...

#4 ZeroGravitas, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Galrex likes this.
  5. Nightblade Greyswandir

Aha. Ok. Now i understand what to do.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  6. Baconus_Yum

Baconus_Yum Administrator

Replying to this thread to keep a reminder. I have a few ideas.

Galrex and ZeroGravitas like this.
  7. cipher

cipher Well-Known Member

Thanks, looks interesting! I'll have to design something for fun.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  8. Nightblade Greyswandir

9. -=ROOSTER=-

-=ROOSTER=- Bock, bock, B"gAAK!!!

So to be clear something like this would not be considered acceptable? PsychoBase1.png Oh, and one more question. Must it be an exploding bolt tech?

10. ZeroGravitas

That is so creative and awesome, dude! :D And there's a spiral crafting base tucked perfectly into into it's centre (that must have taken s bunch of careful thinking about the dimensions, or a lot of luck)! :cool:

One small thing: the (tier 3) Exotic Component Dongles will have to be removed. I've asked about these specifically, and it's a no go, unfortunately. (Level 5 part.)

And a tiny thing: there's a stray diagonal conveyor block under the main entrance.

Just hoping it will anchor fine on rough terrain. I think it'll be alright - might just be on a bit of a mezzanine.

11. ZeroGravitas

That would probably be just about OK, actually. And it's pretty cool, I like it. :cool::D

The little receivers are pretty spammy. (But they're low value, and low usefulness, generally.) If you could reduce their number a little that'd be a bonus. Maybe shorten the arms a little.

Small design suggestion: how about putting the Wireless Chargers on the tips of the limbs without weapons. That would help justify their existence and reach that little bit further out that they might actually charge so of the enemy defenders.:)

Not at all. Either way is fine. No need to shoe horn them in for the sake of it.

Edit: actually, what I'm most concerned about is the 8 lights. It's a little ridiculous, but just a few can really tank the fps. I'd try to halve that count myself (unless the devs have some major optimisations coming up for that).

#11 ZeroGravitas, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  12. ZeroGravitas

"ZG CFS GodZilla Lv4" - a shielded version of my ultimate crafting guide tech. I even fixed a minor issue it had with bypassing resources (when two chunks tried to enter a Component Factory or Fabricator at the same time), thanks for @DerNiepe's observation, on another tech.

ZG CFS GodZilla Lv4.png

2018-09-05 CFS Godzilla 2 - back.jpg

It is essentially made of Component Factories, and 3 SCUs does seem a little extravagant, but this is the undisputed king of Fabrication throughput, darn it! :p;)

I replaced the Exotic Dongles on this with Filters set to exotic components. Maybe smart players will figure out this coded message...

#12 ZeroGravitas, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  13. Nightblade Greyswandir

Edit and replaced snapshot in original post. Now it is correct.

14. -=ROOSTER=-

Here is a version with the suggested changes implemented. I also added shields to the arms. The suggested changes did give it a more symmetrical look, but reduced it's overall functionality somewhat. Now the chargers only reach you when those arms are over you. The whole thing being a large turret is what makes the design work so well, because they can't sit still, and when one arm gets full it turns and another takes over. I couldn't really reduce the length of the arms any more, because chunks were not getting picked up off the far side of the tech when I did. I know that I'm really pushing the requirements, but I want to keep it useful also. PsychoBase2.png

NotExactlyHero and ZeroGravitas like this.
  15. -=ROOSTER=-

That is way cool on the inside. It looks like a scale model of an Unreal Tournament death match map. :)

16. Nightblade Greyswandir

17. TheSpaceMan

TheSpaceMan Mammoth walker
    TT Translator

SurvivalBase.png
    SurvivalBase, A kinda scrappy (yet functional and organized) GSO Base. Can attack and should be taken seriously when standing close to the base. Has a couple weapons (and lights),is able to craft blocks and components. There are a lot of anchors, I hope there is not problem with that. (Is this too small?)

NotExactlyHero and JimmyBlether like this.
  18. Nightblade Greyswandir

no, this one is fine, mine are too big :D

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  19. NotExactlyHero

NotExactlyHero <custom_title_subtitle_[username]_display>

Hmm
    I've never noticed lights causing major lag, or really any lag at all.

20. Nightblade Greyswandir

OTTG... lights can be obstacle that make your tech jump all over the place... LOL... I have to find that video...

JimmyBlether likes this.