Better Future Missions Feedback

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Jul 23, 2018
Hi All,

We want to know what you all think of the Better Future missions. Use this thread to leave your thoughts/opinons.

Some things to consider:
  1. Are they too hard/easy?
  2. Are they fun?
  3. Are they different or similar to the other types of missions?
  4. Do they spawn in the mountains, making it nearly impossible to complete?
  5. For the license missions, are the techs provided good enough? If not, how could they be improved?
Thanks!
Matt

tdb

Feb 28, 2019
I haven't done a lot of them so far. The faction has a pretty interesting flavor where they want to sell you stuff.

On the first hover race mission I used my own hovercraft which I built from whatever BF parts I had. The most difficult part was ducking under the low rings; on PC there's no controller axis assigned for hovering height and the arrow keys act as a binary control, so I had to be very careful to not hit the ground. Even then the sudden restoration of hover power easily threw the craft out of control and out of the track bounds.

Then there was a "destroy enemy techs" mission. Standard fare, not much different from other factions. One of the enemies was a bit annoying as it turned to flee over salt flats and was faster than my tech, but fortunately it got stuck on a rock so I was able to destroy it.

Currently I'm on a antigrav circuit mission. I'm again trying to build my own tech for it but I'm a bit puzzled by the apparent ineffectiveness of the medium-sized antigrav block on a small hovercraft. It only seems to increase hovering height by maybe 10%, which is nowhere near enough to reach the first ring. I guess maybe I should add more of them. If there are any height changes on the track I suspect I'm going to have to stop and carefully adjust hover power for each ring.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
the Better Future missions
Could you clarify what BF missions there are? I couldn't play them all initially because of the repeated licence mission bug (hopefully that's fully fixed now...). I saw 2 hover race track missions and a punks type mission with BF enemies (and hear of the anti-grav tracks)...

For the license missions, are the techs provided good enough? If not, how could they be improved?
I'd assumed the initial hover-tech provided was deliberately as ineffective as possible, so as to give the player a need to (re)build their own for more difficult tracks. Many of the early Venture race missions can be done with whatever tech you're currently driving. Somewhat disappointing and there's little need to do any of the harder races because you'll level up Venture before that, provided you take the other types of Venture mission too.

So challenging is good, in my book. But I was hoping to make a video showing how to rebuild the BF starter tech to actually handle OK, for those wanting help/ideas.

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
I liked that you devs came up with a challenge that aimed to show off hover tech's unique capabilities. But as @Mindl3ss said on Discord (in the BF channel), it isn't perfectly in fitting that these challenges are "races", like Venture's. Also, that there's no impetus for longer distance travel (or exploration), which I'd vaguely had in mind.

Might it be possible to tweak the design of those missions and rebrand them to be something more corporate. Say, courier missions? Also against the clock, of course. I guess that would have to involve picking up and delivering some kind of block. Like a suggestion that I've seen you devs pay attention to previously, so perhaps this is already in mind, earmarked for another corp's missions...?

Or sample collection? (For environmental reasons.) Going to a range of spots and then returning back...?

tdb

Feb 28, 2019
I have new feedback about the antigrav "race" mission. I figured out that by putting two medium antigrav engines on the same vehicle I can cancel gravity altogether. Makes sense. However, after completing the track the mission simply resets and requests me to complete the track again.

It would be good if the mission told me what exactly is required of the vehicle. If my current vehicle is unsuitable and that's the reason for the mission resetting, it should tell me what is wrong with it.

And while we're talking antigrav, a bit of feedback regarding antigrav in general: controlling it requires too many hands. I need one on WASD to control lateral movement and one on the arrow keys to control vertical movement, but because the vehicle tends to drift this way and that, I also frequently need to use the mouse to adjust the camera. The stabilizing computer seems to work poorly with antigrav as well, so sometimes just getting the vehicle into a steady state is an ordeal.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Set Lift to Q and E.
I guess you could do that... But this is why I have been going on about having [Shift] and [Ctrl] as a *pair*, in the default key bindings, so they can be used for lift up/down with one handed controls...
(2) A key pair (axis 7) for Shift and Ctrl together.

also frequently need to use the mouse to adjust the camera.
And I'd also highlighted the increased need for being able to disable camera spring with the new schemes:
(10) Add the option to fully disable camera spring

I think there could do with being an anti-grav default scheme too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aardvark123

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Jul 23, 2018
@Matt, would it make sense to move this thread to the Suggestions & Feedback section? (And re-prompt people to take a look again, after the forum haitus?)
I'm sure there was a really important reason why it was in Open and not Suggestions/Feedback but I can't remember what it was so I've moved it.

Reactions: ZeroGravitas

WoesteWam

Mar 12, 2019
Most missions are fine and I feel like the whole charging money for the licence bit does fit the organisation really well, but I'm currently stuck on the hovercraft test mission as I am definitely not paying 65k bucks just for some hovercraft I probably have most of the parts for anyway, so maybe change that price a bit, especially if you already have most of the blocks. Maybe like 5k + the price for the blocks you don't have in storage yet?

Reactions: Comrade Commie

tdb

Feb 28, 2019
I figured out why my craft was not accepted for the antigrav intro mission. I bought the standard craft from Hubl and took note of what it had. I then modified my own craft to use the small antigrav engines instead of medium ones. It seems counterintuitive that only one type of antigrav engine is accepted. If for some reason it needs to stay that way it should definitely be stated in the mission description.

I've been offered an antigrav time trial several times but have not taken it because I don't think I can control antigrav vehicles well enough to beat the time limit. They really need a control scheme which doesn't require using three hands to control five vehicle axes plus the camera. Also the stabilizing computer needs to work better with antigrav; currently the vehicle retains a significant drift velocity after you let go of the controls.

A Friendly Tech

Sep 21, 2018
I've done a couple playthroughs since BF hit the campaign and the first hover mission sometimes spawns in difficult areas. Like with the track riding along the side of steep hills or going up a hill too steep for the starter hovercraft to get over without adding boosters. At least once I had to cancel the mission and restart it somewhere else because of issues like that. I think I remember salt flat rocks getting in the way the first time I played the hover mission, but that mission was pretty bugged in general for me.

The "Punks" and "Enemy Base" missions are the most fun for me. With the speed and terrain-ignoring aspects of the enemy techs, they're very high-energy fights. At least until they start getting missiles, but missiles ruin everything.

Until now, I haven't really messed with hovercrafts, so I'm very fish-out-of-water with hovercraft/anti-grav controls. Maybe as I get used to them the other BF missions will grow on me.

SirDonzer

Mar 12, 2019
I did get through the Better Future missions. The initial race missions with the BF purchased tech was (for me) impossible. The batty thing kept putting the mission track on, or near, vertical hills. The BF tech didn't have enough thrust to deal with even slightly angled surfaces. The BF tech was really twitchy to steer. It kept spinning around too quickly. After fighting it, I used one of my "flying rocket cars" to complete the race missions. I had far more control and thrust that way.

Considering the control/thrust problems with the initial BF tech, the mission tracks should be placed somewhere flat.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Considering the control/thrust problems with the initial BF tech, the mission tracks should be placed somewhere flat.
(1) I'm currently making an episode showing hover tech re-designs that will beat these level 1 BF races far more easily. (So I'd be very interested to know if these mission designs might get tweaked @Greg ;)).

(2) Having done these two and one punks mission I got to BF level 2 and then most the way through that on just the 2 anti-grav race missions. Am I just a bit naive of campaign pacing, or do those mission give rather a lot of XP?? At 4k each that's 8k of the 10k needed to level-up.

Seems like that's a lot, when level 3 GeoCorp finishes at about the same XP (15000) but the missions are like ~1/3 of that amount. Is this covering a lack of completed BF missions? Or is it meant to be tough, potentially time consuming to get the buy-in cash? (Actually, I suppose that figuring out the control schemes is currently a real faff for those not in the know already...)

Anyway, the BF levels are too quick to complete, I think, for end game content. Need more reason to keep playing...

(3) I think it would be wise to give the option to buy the BF starter techs at the secondary race missions too. Both the first missions were pretty easily doable (with my venture+GSO quadcopter). But then the second anti-grav race, in particular, is tough, with the ending going straight up, rather than simply dropping down.

Even if you figure out a good anti-grav tech design, having never seen one yourself, I don't think you can even buy the anti-grav pip engines, either, unless you get lucky enough to have a random enemy with them? Or from a BF capture base missions I suppose....? Still makes progression through that race mission an order of magnitude harder if you miss that purchase opportunity without realising it...

It would be good if the mission told me what exactly is required of the vehicle. If my current vehicle is unsuitable and that's the reason for the mission resetting, it should tell me what is wrong with it.
As I say, I did the first anti-grav mission without any anti-grav engines. Could it be you touched the rings in the wrong way? I think it's maybe if a wheel hits and grounds the tech...? That reset the race once for me.

Edit: I think that's what it was... There used to be a bug with the Venture flight races that hover pads would be activated by the loops and fail the mission, too. But presumably that had to be fixed for the BF races.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sokolov

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Jul 23, 2018
Thanks everyone for jumping into this thread. There is some valuable insights that we can take from this!

We've pretty much got everything we need from it so I'm going to un-stick this thread but feel free to carry on the discussion.

A Friendly Tech

Sep 21, 2018
The anti-grav tech Hubl sells you has no front or rear. I've done the first anti-grav mission a few times now and, except for the first time, I've had to stop at some point and figure out where my front is again because I've lost track of where it is and the tech is out of control. This is made worse by the rings not closing as soon as you go through them and blocking your view. Not being able to bind my side mouse buttons makes it all even worse because even when the altitude keys are moved to the left side of the keyboard, its just too much for my left hand to do. I'm not even bothering with the timed antigrav mission.