Better crafting interface.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Pink Kitty, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Pink Kitty

Pink Kitty Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe

So, just had this experience crafting a mobile generator on my base.

it just wouldn't build the gluon beam.
    And i couldn't figure out why.
    Turns out it couldn't build a subcomponent, because it couldn't build a sub-sub component, because it couldn't build a blasting cap, because i didn't have enough Rodite.

What we need is either a screen, block or interface thingy that tells us 'You are short on this resource.'
    Because currently, we are reduced to either counting res chunks, or force building sub components until we puzzle out what we are low on.

Not fun.

2. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Insufficient materials are usually encircled in red where the resource is required but not seen by [NetOps] as can be seen in this animated gif regarding a component factory bug under certain conditions.

3. The Grand Teki

The Grand Teki Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe UESO

If I understand correctly, you're having the issue that you can't build one component and resources are going crazy for every c. factory?

4. Pink Kitty

Negative. You both misunderstand.

Yes, missing materials show in red.
    However, when you build the generator, and the GLUON BEAM shows in red... what resource are you missing exactly?

Thew point i was making, was that the only way to find out was a lot of stuffing around, force-building sub components, to find which of 6 resources i was actually short of.

Is that a little clearer?

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  5. The Grand Teki

The Grand Teki Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe UESO

Yes, it is.

6. Sharra

Sharra Well-Known Member

Yes the current version has some issues, not buildung basic components, if requested from another fab.
    Blast cabs, circuits, fuel... everything goes into a loop, requesting the ressources but not taking it, when they come by.
    And sometimes they take one, let passing the rest. It takes up to 10 minutes, watching ressources run around in circles, until the basic component gets build.

7. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Try Mousing over the resource which is incapable of being fabricated for additional details. According to other threads eventually a "Blockopedia" will be written and included into the main game interface.

[​IMG]

Demonstration Courtesy of the YAFF mk2

8. Pink Kitty

Zed, you're not understanding.

What i'm saying, is that there is nothing to mouse over.
    One of us appears to have a bug.

Because on my base, i tell it to build a generator, and the gluon beam is red.
    AND NOTHING ELSE.
    Nothing else is queued, UNTIL the resources become available.

Thus, for me, there is nothing to mouse over to find out.

9. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Not certain what to say; The mouse over feature seems to work consistently for me on 0.7.6.3 unstable.

[​IMG]

Mini Fabricator Mk3 displays the same behavior as the YAFF mk2. Snapshot / Grabbit / Creative save of the base of yours which is not displaying the subcomponents until resources are available?

Attached Files:

10. Pink Kitty

Here's my pic:
    [​IMG]

Which resource am i missing?

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  11. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Alas in the photo you provided I could not locate your ingame cursor even after inverting the color spectrum of the photo. Other than that the only general followup I can offer is to ask if this is a photo of 0.7.6.3 unstable or 0.7.6 stable and to speculate that since the tech already has some resources perhaps that is why [NetOps] does not display all requirements as it did within the gif / screenshot I provided above.

Nonetheless, Crafting does indeed deserve additional shine and polish from a coding standpoint however it seems very unlikely that any will occur prior to 0.7.7 stable given the current cacophony of bug whack-a-mole presently needed to iron out issues being caused between the new unity backend update and the terrain treadmill to permit a stable open world environment. An Easy Example is that the bug I mentioned above has yet to even be acknowledged as "logged" despite it being a bug internal to the [NetOps] AI used to craft components.

12. Pink Kitty

[0.7.6.3] And the cursor is probably off the page.
    As i said, highlighting the red component only tells you that you cannot build a subcomponent. Which we knew.

What it needs to tell us is which base resource is missing from the chain, so we can add some.

13. IBallistic Cheese

IBallistic Cheese Well-Known Member

I think this thread could be moved to the bugs instead

14. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe

Mmm. I think sometimes you can trace the limiting component back through the component factor chain, to see what's missing...

Perhaps in this case it is stuck in a catch-22, not allocating component assembly to a factory because it doesn't know where it will get resource chunks from.

It's hard to tell if this is a distinct bug, though, since there are so many flaws in the auto-crafting.

Certainly it'd be great to see a full branching diagram for the crafting recipe of each block, to see at a glance how many of each base resource and how many levels the component crafting chain has. If this is in a block-pedia setting, fine. If a fabricator where to show it, it would require a new, full screen UI pop-up, with quite a lot of coding back-end, probably. (Arguably worth it though, if crafting continues to be pushed.)

Edit: oh, I wonder if you're just seeing the no-refinery bug (fabs [must] see one to make top-tier components, even if all res is pre-refined). Does adding one to the fab conveyor loop help?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 11:42 AM
    Zed likes this.
  15. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

+1

The other thing worth pointing out in the screenshot provided by @Pink Kitty is that the aforementioned Gluon Beam is visible in the requirements to fabricate the mobile generator and could be moused-over at any time as demonstrated in the animated gif above.

16. Pink Kitty

Yes. And that's clunky and terrible.

Which is not the problem. That only tells you that you cannot build one of the subcomponents.
    what it does not tell you, is which subsub component, which subsubsub component and raw materiel is missing.

As i said, from my pic, which raw material is missing?

17. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

I am able to confirm this; during the design of two successors to the YAFF I discovered that the component factories assigned to construct sub(sub)components for a component requested by a fabricator Will Not respond to [NetOps] unless the component factories are able to "see" (via conveyor belts) both the input and the output of a refinery. (A YAFF 450 encountered this error and was redesigned into the YAFF 440 in the post linked above when it attempted to shunt refinery output into a networked resource silo which failed 'fully automated' compliance.)

This seems to be due to the fact that [NetOps] is unwilling to authorize the creation of a (sub)component which calls for a refined resource without being able to see a refinery which may or may not be considered a "bug" depending on one's perspective.

18. Pink Kitty

So, if i understand this right, if i add a refinery in the right place, i will get more info?

I'll try it.

19. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

To be fair, all of the information that will be provided is as depicted within the animated gif posted earlier in this thread. Feel free to try out either YAFF for yourself for comparison purposes as they are quite capable given their diminutive 14x14 footprint.

20. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe

It may well spur component factory allocation, so you can figure out what's missing via the "clunky and terrible" route.
    Is that official dev terminology, or your own placeholder for such?

Zed likes this.