Battery Efficiency

Raymith

Jul 17, 2018
I was looking at the stats of the batteries, and noticed something very odd. I saw how much capacity the Geocorp battery had, and read its description. It said it had the highest capacity of all of the batteries, but that's only partially true. As an individual block, yes it has the highest capacity. However, it also takes up a 2x2x2 cube that drastically reduces the efficiency. the 1 block size of the GSO Small Battery makes its power much more efficient when you make the 2x2x2 cube of 8 batteries in the same space as the Geocorp one. the Geocorp one has a battery life of "65 minutes", whereas the 8 GSO ones (of a lower tier) would give 80 combined. it seems the Geocorp one now not only is heavier, but also has kess battery power for the space it takes up. Any thoughts? Personally, I think the power for the Geocorp one should be much higher than it currently is, as its current state is nearly useless.

Last edited:

the.nihilist

Semiprofessional Idler
Jul 1, 2018
Germany
If you're right about the capacity, then it should be raised to exceed the 8 GSO Batteries it claims to surpass in it's description.

I thought about not using GC Batteries on my Tech as well and i tried it out. One major problem i ran into was the damage the GSO Batteries can take. When being attacked with Weapons that deal lots of splash damage even under a layer of Armor Plating the little GSO Batteries took enough damage that my Tech turned into a firework. It looked fine from the outside just healing and no block loss, but the batteries still went off and took the rest of the tech with it.

So the damage the GC Batteries can take make them still useful even if the efficiency maybe could be a little better.

Reactions: Lord Zarnox

Khaine

May 29, 2018
If you're right about the capacity, then it should be raised to exceed the 8 GSO Batteries it claims to surpass in it's description.

I thought about not using GC Batteries on my Tech as well and i tried it out. One major problem i ran into was the damage the GSO Batteries can take. When being attacked with Weapons that deal lots of splash damage even under a layer of Armor Plating the little GSO Batteries took enough damage that my Tech turned into a firework. It looked fine from the outside just healing and no block loss, but the batteries still went off and took the rest of the tech with it.

So the damage the GC Batteries can take make them still useful even if the efficiency maybe could be a little better.
Yup. A little less power for a little more resiliente. That and breaking a 2x2 is harder than breaking 4 1x1's, I think.

the.nihilist

Semiprofessional Idler
Jul 1, 2018
Germany
Yup. A little less power for a little more resiliente. That and breaking a 2x2 is harder than breaking 4 1x1's, I think.
Definitely. I don't know how the GC battery compares on numbers in health, but through the chain effect it doesn't matter how many GSO batteries are put together. They effectively end up only having the health of a single one, making them too weak once enemies with strong explosive weapons show up.

(i literally got destroyed by a single hit with a megaton at the end of a battle, exploding after the enemy already died:eek::oops:)

Reactions: Lord Zarnox

Lost Ninja

Jul 17, 2015
Yorkshire Dales under a rock.
I did a little investigation on this as part of my planned update of the Block List I maintain (see signature). The following list contains the four batteries.
  • Corp - Name - (Size) - Health - Energy When Full - Energy Density in 2x2x2 volume)
  • GSO Small Battery Cell (1x1x1) 250 1,500 12000
  • GeoCorp Battery Pack (2x2x2) 1,296 14,000 14000
  • Venture Battery (1x1x1) 200 1,500 12000
  • HawkEye Ion Battery (2x1x1) 800 3,500 14000
So clearly the GeoCorp battery is still currently the best bang for your buck and the Venture battery should be avoided. But the HE battery has the volume if not the health so a good 2nd place I think.

I also tested the different generators as part of this process and found that the fastest to consume fuel was also the one that provided the least benefit. In order then: (Best Output to Worst.)
  • Corp - Name - Health - Minimum Energy(1) - Energy Transfer(2) - Energy Provided(3)
  • GeoCorp Anchored Furnace Generator 2,614 75 500 19,000
  • GSO Anchored Furnace Generator 3,200 75 74 1,500 7,000
  • Experimental Plasma Furnace 3200 0 1,333 10,000
  • GSO Mobile Furnace Generator 2,000 75 74 750 3,500

(1)If the block has a minimum energy amount (how much energy it has when un-powered.
(2)How much energy it will transfer per/? (either per/sec or per/tick don't know).
(3)Roughly how much energy a single Oleastic Brick provides (rough because I'm getting this from a save file).

All the data was pulled from save files, so it is possibly somewhat inaccurate but I have check it all several times.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
"65 minutes", whereas the 8 GSO ones (of a lower tier) would give 80 combined.
I think you must have slipped up with your testing method (maybe the game was paused for some of that time, while you were tabbed out...?).

I can confirm @Lost Ninja's data, from testing in-game (by simply transferring charge from a full GC Battery to GSO batteries, one at a time via wireless chargers): 1 GeoGorp battery ~=9.3 GSO batteries. (9.333 according to the hard data.)

1 Hawkeye = 2.4 GSO (or 2.333 apparently). 1 Venture = 1 GSO, which makes these indisputably the best choice for flying or fast techs, by far, given that they weigh 1/3rd of a GSO battery (which are very dense - 3x a normal 1-block, same as GC), and Venture batteries do not chain react explode! Only their limited attach points make them 'interesting' to use.

It would be handy if the forum had the functionality for tables, to present this data better:
  • Corp - Name - Health - Minimum Energy(1) - Energy Transfer(2) - Energy Provided(3)
That's barely human readable...:confused: Could you insert little screen capture images of a purpose made spreadsheet, instead? Is my crafting guide infographic still roughly accurate, as far as you can see? (Aside from the changed Venture battery capacity.):

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
May 31, 2017
Australia
I did a little investigation on this as part of my planned update of the Block List I maintain (see signature). The following list contains the four batteries.
  • Corp - Name - (Size) - Health - Energy When Full - Energy Density in 2x2x2 volume)
  • GSO Small Battery Cell (1x1x1) 250 1,500 12000
  • GeoCorp Battery Pack (2x2x2) 1,296 14,000 14000
  • Venture Battery (1x1x1) 200 1,500 12000
  • HawkEye Ion Battery (2x1x1) 800 3,500 14000
So clearly the GeoCorp battery is still currently the best bang for your buck and the Venture battery should be avoided. But the HE battery has the volume if not the health so a good 2nd place I think.

I also tested the different generators as part of this process and found that the fastest to consume fuel was also the one that provided the least benefit. In order then: (Best Output to Worst.)

(1)If the block has a minimum energy amount (how much energy it has when un-powered.
(2)How much energy it will transfer per/? (either per/sec or per/tick don't know).
(3)Roughly how much energy a single Oleastic Brick provides (rough because I'm getting this from a save file).

All the data was pulled from save files, so it is possibly somewhat inaccurate but I have check it all several times.
You should probably also include mass and/or density, as that can sometimes be an issue in certain builds.

layer1

Jun 14, 2017
Any official info on weight? I made a seesaw in R&D and if weight is a concern, GC is far superior to HE or GSO.

6 GC batteries = 17 HE in weight (6GC = 24 HE in total energy, more or less)

6 GC batteries = 25 GSO batteries, so almost no weight savings there.

Lost Ninja

Jul 17, 2015
Yorkshire Dales under a rock.
Any official info on weight? I made a seesaw in R&D and if weight is a concern, GC is far superior to HE or GSO.

6 GC batteries = 17 HE in weight (6GC = 24 HE in total energy, more or less)

6 GC batteries = 25 GSO batteries, so almost no weight savings there.
For a while someone was maintaining a list of weights for blocks based on their weight in GSO 1 Blocks (I think), but I don't think it's being updated. I'd love to have some definitive mass numbers per block but it's not something that is saved in the save files and I haven't worked out how to read the game's data files.