Ballistic weapons speed buff? And more

burger1113

I won't complain about missiles being too strong because 1. Already said enough 2. I love them and they should have even longer range lol
Nerfing them isnt the answer, I feel.
Increasing the projectile velocity and the of guns and also subsequently decreasing the arch of them would balance things out.
If the missiles didn't have long range and power with their high reloading time, they would just be another weapon type that nobody really uses.

I wonder if the current weapon targeting doesn't take into account where the target is moving towards at all? Cuz that should be a thing too.

Oh and i think different sensors should provide different detection range, while having any of them should give us a longer targeting area. So annoying when I'm flying and I have to stay super close and even then I lose them and have to re-target them constantly.

Ahhhh and the targeting button(mouse middle) reaaaally needs to be able to get assigned to different duplicate bindings!!! Lol

This is a lot... Thoughts?
And everyone have a grrrreat new year!

Last edited:
I think that the ballistic weapons need some reworking as well. To some degree, I feel like certain weapons are guaranteed to miss if you are moving at all. Sure, it makes sense with some weapons(large cannons, long range rifles, etc). But I feel like the light machine guns function more like potato guns than actual ballistic weapons. I get that lasers have a flat trajectory, but I would be happy to see a weapon that uses a "hit-line".

burger1113

But I feel like the light machine guns function more like potato guns than actual ballistic weapons. I get that lasers have a flat trajectory, but I would be happy to see a weapon that uses a "hit-line".
Yeah most of the guns sound like pea shooters too.
If the bullets flew faster, it would make them miss quite a bit less...
Would a near-RL speed be too much?

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
Personally, I want shotguns whose projectiles don't cease to exist several meters from the gun. With the scale of the game, giving them the same maximum range as other guns hardly effects the trope of being intended for short range. After all, shotguns are designed for better accuracy, by increasing the chances of hitting the target, at the cost of spreading the damage across a large area. With their current spread, at a range of 50 meter/blocks, they would be spread out by so much that their effective damage would be nearly insignificant, so there is no downside to increasing the time before the projectiles despawn. In fact, it would actually be a more realistic use of them, considering how often weapons miss due to techs moving out of the way.

Last edited:

Soviet_Samuelson

On the path to becoming a grand-master idiot
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Yeah most of the guns sound like pea shooters too.
If the bullets flew faster, it would make them miss quite a bit less...
Would a near-RL speed be too much?
lazers still miss, they get momentum transfered from their own tech, and light doesnt really do that irl, because physics and stuff

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
lazers still miss, they get momentum transfered from their own tech, and light doesnt really do that irl, because physics and stuff
Firstly, it is spelt laser, secondly, momentum is actually transferred, but it changes its energy and wavelength rather than its velocity. This is how red and blue shifting works.

Soviet_Samuelson

On the path to becoming a grand-master idiot
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Firstly, it is spelt laser, secondly, momentum is actually transferred, but it changes its energy and wavelength rather than its velocity. This is how red and blue shifting works.
oh yeah that stuff. @WhitePaw2002 make a mod where lazers do more damage based on redshifting principles, where blueshifting makes it deal more damage

harpo99999

ah kick till it starts
@WhitePaw2002, a slightly different suggestion, a mod that alters the projectile velocities (perhaps adjustable so we can test different speeds of shots to find what we like the most)

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Let's not be pedantic, please. It doesn't help anyone. While you're technically right, imparting enough momentum from lasers to effect a tech would require astrophysical scales of energy. It is not an effect which a tech would ordinarily feel. Besides, this is a videogame. Climbing into general relativity for explanations is a bit much for two lines of code, don't you think?

My thought on the OP is that I think all of TerraTech could do for a speed boost. Max velocities on techs, projectile speeds, gimble mount rotation speed, everything. I get why it is the way it is (performance reasons, I suspect), but I've often thought that 80 mph planes were waaay too slow. Even wheels are slow. The big hawkeye wheel can only go 40 mph. As it stands, I think projectile speed is a bit too slow, but so are techs and gimbles. My opinion would to raise the speed of everything.

Last edited:

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
Let's not be pedantic, please. It doesn't help anyone. While you're technically right, imparting enough momentum from lasers to effect a tech would require astrophysical scales of energy. It is not an effect which a tech would ordinarily feel. Besides, this is a videogame. Climbing into general relativity for explanations is a bit much for two lines of code, don't you think?

My thought on the OP is that I think all of TerraTech could do for a speed boost. Max velocities on techs, projectile speeds, gimble mount rotation speed, everything. I get why it is the way it is (performance reasons, I suspect), but I've often thought that 80 mph planes were waaay too slow. Even wheels are slow. The big hawkeye wheel can only go 40 mph. As it stands, I think projectile speed is a bit too slow, but so are techs and gimbles. My opinion would to raise the speed of everything.
*Looks at TerraTech*
*Looks at Robocraft*
*Looks at TerraTech...*
*Looks at Robocraft*

I see no reason to increase speed, barring engagement-ohwaitthat'sagoodreasontoincreasespeednevermind... Whatever...