Balance for Megaton Cannons in RP

Are megaton cannons too OP in RP

• Total voters

Boomik

Apr 2, 2017
Stalk me not
I know this is usually @Legionite's thing, but looking at the Lemons old techs, basically all of it was megaton spam, which is superior to everything else in the world (except for trees). So, how about make megaton cannons less powerful in RP, by either nerfing its damage, explosion, or buffing its cost? I would like some ideas.

Legionite

taking a break from TAC Pack
May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
I know this is usually @Legionite's thing, but looking at the Lemons old techs, basically all of it was megaton spam, which is superior to everything else in the world (except for trees). So, how about make megaton cannons less powerful in RP, by either nerfing its damage, explosion, or buffing its cost? I would like some ideas.
1st Idea for Megaton nerf for RP:
Bad accuracy. Miss ratio is high in close quarters combat. Worst aim as other weapons don't seem to miss as often in comparison.
Shortest barrel in the game means trash accuracy.
They can still be used as artillery, but they take twice as long to hit their mark in comparison to other guns and accuracy is slightly better when used as artillery, but still trash in a realistic way.
Megatons have short barrels, and using short barrels means less shell velocity.
They also take as long to aim as the HK cannons do.
The Megatons can only fire once per turn, but they can be overclocked to shoot two per turn unlike the HK cannons. This results in even worse accuracy however, and huge recoil!
Point blank would be the best range option, but then the opponents Jackhammers would already kick them off and the Tech it is attached to!

Megaton Cannon- Dangerous when it hits, if it hits.
(I noticed that the Megatons looked a whole lot like Reticule Research when I saw them in R&D in the ancient versions of Terra Tech, so it makes sense for the Megaton to be unreliable. It even sounds experimental in name too!)

"The Megaton Shell was so heavy, that it initially exploded the barrel every time the cannon fired! We found a solution by making the shell fly out slower, with added anti-gravity weight compensation to allow it to fly further from the barrel. This resulted in the round acting slo-mo in the air as if it was some sort of hollywood spoof."

"Drivers who have been using this cannon in recent wars would have learned that the Megaton is a piece of garbage in human-aim-only combat, but can be compensated for through rigorous training. The amount of training required however, requires godly knowledge on aim problems, and it should just be avoided unless the craft has a huge and complex aiming computer, and even then it still has trash shell velocity that is worse than almost all other weapons in existence."

(Think below HK Repeater speeds, but now slow-mo though the air as artillery rounds and traveling the same distance as it usually does in normal Terra Tech.)

HK Cannons are better for this, and the extended barrel variant is extra rare, given that HK has depreciated their old "Long Tom" for the Round Robin HG Cannon.
+ The Round Robin HG Cannon hosts the same shell speed as usual, but can aim even farther now. Fires once per turn. Obviously Better accuracy, Better power in normal Terra Tech over the Megaton number-wise. For the sake of RP, the HG Cannons can aim extra high to allow for sideways placement on RP Techs.

+ The Long Tom HG Cannon can aim the farthest of all, so far that it can be used to hit something 2.5x farther than the normal HK Cannon! The catch is that this cannon takes 1 full turn to reload. Super fast shells also make it viable for air attacks, although viable only for Hoverships, as aircraft is hard to hit even with these shells. Best accuracy and range for any normal Terra Tech weapon to date.

2nd Idea for Megaton nerf for RP:
The thing that really kills the Megaton in RP is that the shells can be easily intercepted (slow shell speed) and blown up by all ballistic weapons in Terra Tech, even by the Burst Gun!
Just plop a VEN Pip MG on your little rover and effectively counter a megaton! (if you have the processing power to aim at them that is...)

All shells cannot pierce the shield regardless, but the shockwave force from the explosion passes through the shields(shields warp out of shape from the force of the explosion for the duration of the explosion. They warp, but don't get any holes), causing damage to the blocks even though they are protected by the shield.

All artillery shells can be intercepted as well, with the Megaton being the easiest, Round Robin HG Cannon being the middle, and the Long Tom HG Cannon being the hardest.

Oh yeah, and about the trees, I think they actually damage huge Techs greatly.
A tree actually managed to knock off a GEO Corp drill I had on my Tech once.

I had to resort to the GEO Corp Shock plating for the ploughing through trees thing which I did a ton of threads ago since the drills couldn't take the abuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boomik and BenBacon