Assemble techs from SCU storage

Gandalf

Sep 3, 2015
Middle Earth
gandalfx.deviantart.com
Haven't found a suggestion about this anywhere even though this feels very obvious to me: It should be possible to have a new tech assembled from blocks stored in the SCU.

Basically this would work exactly like buying a tech from the stations, except it takes blocks from the SCU instead of money. Bonus points if it is able to automatically buy missing blocks, i.e. only charge for the new blocks.

I believe this would be a massive game play improvement. Re-building a destroyed tech can be quite tiresome and buying it is often very expensive (in accordance with the fact that buying blocks is supposed to be a lot more expensive than crafting/collecting). So unless you're end-game filthy rich re-buying a big tech is often out of the question and you end up re-building the thing from memory over and over, which is very tedious.

An additional bonus (in my opinion) is the fact that this makes it a lot easier to move camp. The current mission setup kind of forces you to move around a lot (if I'm not mistaken the next "points of interest" are chosen in a random location at a certain range from the previous one) so if you have a base you tend to get further and further away from it. With the ability to rebuild techs from the SCU you could structure your base into components, then dismantle those occasionally and re-build the whole thing somewhere else with a reasonable amount of work.

As for "willing suspension of disbelief" I think it's also acceptable, considering you're already able to buy entire techs. If anything I'd say it's more believable that you're able to have a tech auto-assembled once the parts are available than having the whole thing dropped from space.

Please let me know what you think!
In case this has already been discussed elsewhere I'd be grateful for a link. ;)

edit: Found this thread which kinda has the same idea. No real replies though.

Last edited:

HappyApathy

Dec 1, 2015
Well that sounds awesome! :D

Do you have a link or something? I'm curious to read about it. This would be a real game changer for me.
I don't think its specifically written anywhere however its been brought up a few times in twitch streams by the devs, you can follow what they're up to better by watching their twitch streams then just reading what they've written in the dev blogs.

P

Pink Kitty

I don't think its specifically written anywhere however its been brought up a few times in twitch streams by the devs, you can follow what they're up to better by watching their twitch streams then just reading what they've written in the dev blogs.
This.

They kinda suck at communicating stuff, so your best source is often the streams.
The problem is, many folks don't want to sit through an hour of sumo/CC/art/whatever you don't like for the two sentences of important info, that half the time they seem to wish they had never said.

They also appear to have internal communication issues, as they very rarely have any clue what has already been revealed/discussed on previous streams.

In one case Saiwun 'leaked' something that had not only previously been leaked by Jamie, but had had it's own spotlight stream already.

Gandalf

Sep 3, 2015
Middle Earth
gandalfx.deviantart.com
Well I'm not gonna be hanging out on twitch for hours in case something drops, lol. If they have time to stream why don't they take a little bit of that time to update a regular dev blog? It's nice that they try to stay close with their community but streaming seems a rather limited way of doing that. I'll take some solid text over that any time.