Are there any plans for weather types in TT's future?

Kohta

Sep 4, 2017
Narnia♥
myanimelist.net
So I'm not sure if I've ever heard any of the Devs talk about this before, but does anyone know if they have any
plans for implementing weather types into TT? I would personally LOVE to drive my behemoth size techs
around the map while enjoying some rain along with my music playing. Could also be cool to see some natural
disasters occur as well (hurricanes, storms, meteor showers, etc.).

Masakari

Nov 2, 2016
Several types are planned (including rain and meteors IIRC) but not too high on the priority list like most things and lack of personnel to get around to them. I can't direct you to any specific threads or videos (especially twitch videos as they only retain only so far back and no time stamps to the discussions) but If you do a search for all (non title only keyword(s) search) you should be able to find them on here.

Reactions: Zed

Kohta

Sep 4, 2017
Narnia♥
myanimelist.net
Okay cool, I just wanted to know if anyone could confirm it or not since I've never heard anything about it (not that I've
been keeping that up to date with TT news, since I only recently joined the forum). Super glad to hear that my dreams
of rain are a possibility, I hate it when games have zero weather effects, kinda kills the mood for me.

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
I know there has been some talk of the concept over the years; my hope would be some type of wind turbine form of power generation which could be an offshoot of altitude (elevation) however during the time I have been playing Terratech the skybox of the ice / pillars biomes remain the best examples of "weather" that are ingame thus far.

Reactions: Masakari and Kohta

Kohta

Sep 4, 2017
Narnia♥
myanimelist.net
Wind turbines sound awesome, I would love to see solar panels gather less energy and have clouds block sunlight during the day, forcing players to rely on multiple sources of power for their bases (such as the above mentioned wind turbines, and geothermal generators).

Reactions: Masakari and Zed

Masakari

Nov 2, 2016
Yea I agree weather effects can add a lot of atmosphere (pun intended) to a game.

I'd love to see as many as possible added like massive dust storms blocking all distant vision (maybe from first ring outwards so you can still see around you to move and whatnot and maybe radar interference/jamming so contacts could shift around on us, and ever so slight constant damage) for a couple minutes, damaging lightning storms (not enough to breakoff/destroy blocks so maybe just to the first flashing red stage of damage or heavy to near depleting battery drain depending on amount of batteries if hitting shields), and the like.

Wind turbines would be nice depending on if it would be a constant power generation like the geo vent does and not a set time like solars, but then again our RL ones can sometimes stop due to lack of wind so.... *shrugs*.

Reactions: Kohta and Zed

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
Wind turbines would be nice depending on if it would be a constant power generation like the geo vent does and not a set time like solars, but then again our RL ones can sometimes stop due to lack of wind so.... *shrugs*.
What I was thinking was that the turbine would generate power within a range of x min to y max based on a player tech's altitude (already known) along with a biome modifier (Lower than average in forests, higher than average in mountains / salt flats. etc)

Reactions: Masakari

Kohta

Sep 4, 2017
Narnia♥
myanimelist.net
Dust storms sound amazing, I can just imagine being in a flying tech when one of those rolls around, and having to land near your base, with your only guidance being the lights you placed down in advance to act as a runway (this would give more purpose to lights in the game). It would also be amazing being at your base during a dust storm with little visibility, and all of a sudden a mission triggers that has smaller, quicker enemies ambushing you in waves.

Reactions: Masakari and Zed

JimmyBlether

Regrettably Inactive (long term)
Jul 31, 2017
Somewhere off the map
tinyurl.com
+1 for weather. It would add atmosphere to TT and also if we want dust storms, make biome borders more defined and don't just stop the storm at the biome edges like in Minecraft. Have it pass over. Also turbulence while flying.

Potato

Tinkerer of Titäns
Oct 8, 2016
+1 for the weather. But like what the others said, it's a low-priority that might see development probably near 1.0 or beyond. It'll add a lot of atmosphere in the world, considering that the game forces us to be nomadic.

• I can't wait to RIDE INTO A SANDSTORM, AWAITING VALHALLA! SHINY AND CHROME!
  • Or endure a meteor shower (hopefully containing some rare resources, makes it a good reason to stand in the middle of one in a tough Tech)
  • Or install a lightning rod base at a storm-prone area.
  • Or hiding in the middle of a blizzard, using it to stalk prey.

Kohta

Sep 4, 2017
Narnia♥
myanimelist.net
+1 for the weather. But like what the others said, it's a low-priority that might see development probably near 1.0 or beyond. It'll add a lot of atmosphere in the world, considering that the game forces us to be nomadic.

• I can't wait to RIDE INTO A SANDSTORM, AWAITING VALHALLA! SHINY AND CHROME!
  • Or endure a meteor shower (hopefully containing some rare resources, makes it a good reason to stand in the middle of one in a tough Tech)
  • Or install a lightning rod base at a storm-prone area.
  • Or hiding in the middle of a blizzard, using it to stalk prey.
+1 Us Bigger is Better builders fear no weather, our techs will withstand the tests of time.

Legionite

taking a break from TAC Pack
May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
drive my behemoth size techs
around the map while enjoying some rain along with my music playing
If it is implemented, it might be hinting the possibility of water and oceans existing on the Off-World in the game.

It should also be noted that it should snow instead in the Ice Biomes, or the ice might not make sense.

+1 Us Bigger is Better builders fear no weather, our techs will withstand the tests of time.
The big question is: Will it float?:p

PS: I am pretty sure GEO Corp blocks should float, given the amount of empty air space they *might* contain within.
Hawkeye, probably not (too heavy) - they need "buoyancy blocks" to compensate.

Reactions: Masakari and Kohta

Kohta

Sep 4, 2017
Narnia♥
myanimelist.net
If it is implemented, it might be hinting the possibility of water and oceans existing on the Off-World in the game.

It should also be noted that it should snow instead in the Ice Biomes, or the ice might not make sense.

The big question is: Will it float?:p

PS: I am pretty sure GEO Corp blocks should float, given the amount of empty air space they *might* contain within.
Hawkeye, probably not (too heavy) - they need "buoyancy blocks" to compensate.
I don't mind sinking to the bottom, I'll make the ocean floor my domain, and the fish my minions. We'll drag all techs to the bottom of the sea, where they shall meet their doom.

P.S. Come get me now flyers!

Potato

Tinkerer of Titäns
Oct 8, 2016
I think Landships would benefit being underwater. They'd be able to support their weight more, which means I can add more armor, shielding and weapons. Oh the possibilities.

Kohta

Sep 4, 2017
Narnia♥
myanimelist.net
Be sure to look out for subs, they are the undersea equivalent to fliers.
They would carry guided torpedoes that seek out undersea targets.

Basically: Missiles for air, Torpedoes for sliding across the ground in a straight line / tracking in the water.
I'll train suicide interception fish with laser tracking harnesses. No torps are getting near me or my fish armada!

Kohta

Sep 4, 2017
Narnia♥
myanimelist.net
Also with splitting techs in the future, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to create long arms with cabs on them, that can disengage from the tech and act as a decoy to intercept the torps.