Are the updates to hovers permanent?

Discussion in 'Open' started by QuackDuck, May 26, 2018.

1. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

I'm not sure where to post this here it goes.

Are the changes to the hover strengths permanent, or are they subject to more balance changes?

I want to know this so other community members and I can know whether to update our hover designs or keep them as they are until any future changes are released.

I will summon @Jamie so that this thread is not overlooked.

2. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Try @zanzistar, perhaps...

3. Jamie

Jamie PAYLOAD STUDIOS

From Kris (he's away at the moment);

Nothing is permanent. We’ll always balance to make things better if there is a need for it. The next step for hovers is Russ’s dampener to smooth out the hard bouncing and give a more even ride. That change will have a similar effect to White paw’s hover mod, but without overriding all the other physical effects of hovers. The beam strength increases were made to let hover plates lift heavier weights. Hovercraft that we’re built pre balance are susceptible to changes in behaviour and that’s hard to avoid when hovers change, because hovercraft are delicate Techs to make.

4. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Living in my pizza boxes because mom kicked me out

i would like if the dampenning to not exist while hoverbugging(?) so hoverbugs will never be afected by the changes.

JimmyBlether and zanzistar like this.
  5. Benbacon

Benbacon Founder Of Bacon, Inc

So the power won't be adjusted again?
    Because if so, all our techs will be broken again

6. Deutsche Würfel

Deutsche Würfel I look good in this dress.

of cource they will.

7. zanzistar

zanzistar PAYLOAD STUDIOS

We'll legitimise the hover bug into a specific Block at some point. There's clearly interest in having it, so it's got to stay.

As I said above (via Jamie), we will continue to balance all aspects of the game that need updates, including hovers Blocks. but for now, the next change for hovers is the dampener to smooth out the jerky bouncing, not any more adjustments to power for the time being.

MrTwister, Lord Zarnox, Jamie and 6 others like this.
  8. WhitePaw2002

WhitePaw2002 Modding Husky

:D
    I, uhh... did not intend it to override the existing physics. (As I have said before, it was to be added at the end of the existing script and tweaked for desired results)

...Nevermind that, carry on.

9. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Apologies, however I believe this is a conflation of cause / effect; Specifically, the cause is not a desire to keep the "hover bug" but rather the effect of inadequate control systems for techs that are supposedly airborne which produces the effect of the hover bug being used; promises of the control update coming "soon" month after month causing it (the hover bug) to become "popular" due to desperation of aspiring builders wanting a control update to be released for flying techs.

In a nutshell; The "hoverbug" is (in my opinion) used as often as it is not because it is a "means to an end" but rather an "end due to lack of sufficient means" Specifically;

1) Side Facing Rotors should work in the air as they do when on the ground; Same applies to x-way Steering / Horn Steering.
    2) Separate Thrust from Rockets to a separate key from Turbines / Propellers.
    2a) This could be as simple as Rockets being shift with Propellers working off of WASD (Add Q for Up and E for Down as opposed to "Shift for Up"
    2b) Propellers / Turbines keep Shift, Rockets Get CTRL (works on either WASD / Arrow control schemes)

Hovers should be less sensitive (as in longer scan pulse rate, thereby they are less prone to see the angles on inclines) along with ignoring Terrain features such as trees / Rocks / Other Techs (After all the hover is not only pushing against the terrain but the overall gravity generated by the planet which is the larger of the two forces as opposed to merely "repelling" themselves against the surface of the planet.

All that said, it is still hoped that the original values for the older hover plates will be restored to rebalance all of the current enemies in game using the older hover blocks, with the newer Geo Hovers / Fortress Hovers being part of the newer "beefier" set of new values.... otherwise *each and every* tech currently in-game might as well be individually checked to see how they behave as enemies with the new hover values which typically cripple their ability to be effective enemies in-game.

10. Deutsche Würfel

Deutsche Würfel I look good in this dress.

is there any way to expose the hover height in an INI file so we can edit the heights?

11. Redlegdaddy

Redlegdaddy Well-Known Member

Hopefully you keep all the features that make the hover bug so great and useful such as being able to build beam at any height, keep ground controls in the air and the unlimited push. Hover bug is more than just the unlimited push and adding a block that does only that would remove so many building options. I would much rather keep the current hover bug.

AstraTheDragon and Zargn like this.