Any way to disable or minimize the short pauses while the game auto saves?

layer1

Jun 14, 2017
The game runs on one SSD and saved games on a separate SSD. The tech I'm using isn't stupidly huge (216 blocks) nor do I have a lot of other techs in the vicinity. Yet every minute, the game freezes for half a second to a second, and I'm assuming this is because of it auto saving. After taking a break from the game I forgot how completely frustrating is. Building, crafting, rotating the screen--everything gets constantly interrupted.

I'm not going to bother reporting this as a bug. People have been requesting quick saves and no auto save since at least 2015, so I doubt there is any plan to address this.

Is there *anything* I can do?

Zonko

Sep 20, 2019
I have this. Don't think it's autosave.
Seems to happen to any game that was started a few updates back.

Reactions: layer1

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Is there *anything* I can do?
Nope.

And it's definitely an auto-save hang. They come every 60 seconds exactly in campaign only, not creative or R&D modes.

It's especially bad for YouTubers - I edit out most of the hangs, which I'm able to do because I voice over in post-production. But the camera will spin out widely if you are trying to move it with right click just before a hang. They last from 1.0 to 1.6 seconds in the video I've just edited (TT 1.3.2). And I have a 2 year old gaming desktop - M.2 NVMe SSD (1900MB/s write) on an AMD Ryzen 1600X. It'll be a CPU bottleneck, with translating the world state into a compressed zip file type format (rather than writing the < 1MB file to disk).

I've raised this in other threads and talked about it a little with @Sdarks, who is sympathetic. But it'll take a design descision from e.g. @zanzistar (@Matt) to implement an option menu tick-box to disable this. (I don't think I've ever really made use of auto-saves anyway, even if it's a good feature to have in general, given how much the game crashes and how bad most are for making saves manually.)

Reactions: mozuo and layer1

layer1

Jun 14, 2017
It'll be a CPU bottleneck, with translating the world state into a compressed zip file type format (rather than writing the < 1MB file to disk).
Ah, that explains things. My old i5 is crying. Time to start planning an upgrade or at least hit the overclock button--my motherboard actually has a physical button to do exactly this.

Falchoin

May 30, 2018
I would love an option to turn off autosaves if it means I can get rid of the hangs in campaign mode. Maybe even an option to set how often it autosaves? One hang every 15-30 minutes is a lot more palatable than every minute.

Reactions: mozuo and layer1

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
One hang every 15-30 minutes is a lot more palatable than every minute.
Yeah, currently my PC is unresponsive for about ~2% of my time in campaign... o_O

Time to start planning an upgrade or at least hit the overclock button
I'm not sure how much upgrading would help... I expect it mostly comes down to single core performance, so probably not going to be able to reduce the hangs much under 1 second with any consumer CPU. A high clocked i5 could be about as good as it gets, if fairly recent... (Speculation.)

Reactions: layer1

layer1

Jun 14, 2017
I guess we're at the mercy of the developers then. The recent survey seems to have a focus on coop so I'm not holding my breath for anything performance related. Shame. OTOH I have around 2k hours played so I definitely got my money's worth out of this game.

Reactions: ZeroGravitas

layer1

Jun 14, 2017
So I switched to a better tech--212 blocks now, versus 216 from the last one, as well as a more complex base with 217 blocks. The new base is around 15k units from the old one, give or take 5k.

There's no delay at all now. This is confusing.

Reactions: ZeroGravitas

mozuo

Jun 4, 2018
As of ver.1.3.10.3, my campaign save data hangs every minute for 3-4 seconds. This data has been playing since ver.0.7.9.0. When editing a recorded video, removing this pause section is very troublesome lol