diamondnife

Jun 10, 2017
The Technocratic AI Colony.
What logical reason explains why the solar generators and anchored SCU have to be anchored in order to work. Same goes for large delivery cannon and normal furnace generator.

And no I do NOT want answers about it being for game balancing purposes.

Sozin

Friendly Neighborhood Fire Lord
Jul 9, 2016
Furnace Generator:
If you've got a generator that runs on fuel, and you stick it on a moving vehicle with no guarantees about how the vehicle will move ... using a design optimized for the ground is just asking for disaster.
(implied thoughts: you generally don't want liquid fuel sloshing around something when you're burning it for energy unless it's controlled. Given anchored generator is optimized for static environments, making it move removes that control)

Large delivery cannon:
It's a delivery cannon. Being able to fire stuff into orbit, if you stuck it on a tech that tech would die. Because unless they work some magic, the recoil on that would be massive. Or it'd destroy itself in one shot.
(implied thoughts: it's either a giant artillery cannon, or something like a railgun that shoots resources up to some supply ship orbiting above that will take it back to wherever.)

Large SCU:
You're creating wormholes. I can't even begin to imagine the things that could go wrong if your environmental parameters are incorrect.
Given the fact you're creating one on a planet in open atmosphere, handling the changes when stationary is hard enough. I'm frankly not sure the mini version should exist, although maybe the small size allows for it to be mobile. who knows.
(implied thoughts: the large SCU mobile would be like trying to defuse the FLEIJA without a ridiculous geass forcing you to superhuman levels)

Solar generator:
yea .. i got none on this one. Besides the part where it'd be OP as ******** against anyone without it (game balance), there's really not much of a reason to except efficiency ... and that's only for our current technology.
The reason why we don't do mobile solar panels today is because we need giant areas for it to be effective at generating usable quantities of energy.
Given the anchored version is magically able to provide decent energy in a tiny 1x1x4 area, obviously efficiency isn't the issue.

Masakari

Nov 2, 2016
A recent (month or so back) FPS tanking bug I found associated with solar panels and movement (was using the Anchored AI at the time in my campaign with solars (about 20 for about 40 batteries) for my main charging station and it started tanking FPS when it twitched like they do) could be an answer. Although this was way after both solars (near game start up) and the AAI were added.

I agree the solar panel active on the move would be OP. But I think the FPS tanking would prevent it being used as you would need a decent amount (10 plus) to be useful for larger builds, especially in the late game when you get monsters spawning in.

Probably the same for the other things, minus the SCU, refinery, furnace generator, and delivery cannons as the mobile versions work, but with anchoring I can't see a real need for it now other than convenience (space mostly).

Reactions: Sozin

Legionite

TAC Packing
May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
Solar generator:
yea .. i got none on this one. Besides the part where it'd be OP as ******** against anyone without it (game balance), there's really not much of a reason to except efficiency ... and that's only for our current technology.
The reason why we don't do mobile solar panels today is because we need giant areas for it to be effective at generating usable quantities of energy.
Given the anchored version is magically able to provide decent energy in a tiny 1x1x4 area, obviously efficiency isn't the issue.
An excuse would be that:
"The solar panels on this solar array are better than your ordinary solar panel, they can collect electricity at a much faster rate when exposed to sunlight to meet your Tech needs better. As a side effect, the high-density light collection solar panels are fragile when exposed to the vibrations caused by moving around on a tech. This is counteracted by folding them away whilst in transit."
An excellent reason to keep the solar array anchored, other than being too OP!

P

Pink Kitty

Well, the original idea was: big, heavy, needs proper mounting.

Now, not so much.
It's just: because game balance!