Am I playing the game wrong?

tldr: I can't work out if the game is bad, or if I'm bad, or if I just don't understand what I'm meant to be doing.

I've played TerraTech for about an hour and a half (thanks for the Steam free weekend, devs!), but I still can't work out if I'm playing it right. Every time I try to attack anyone, I get absolutely crushed – I think I've killed my opponent in about 2 battles out of 10 or more, and on one of those occasions I died moments after from a shot that was still in the air (on the other, I died 30 seconds later when another enemy showed up). Every time I die, I lose all my stuff, either because it's been destroyed or because I can't find the remains; if I do manage to salvage something, or if I get something as a reward from the tutorial or a mission, then I immediately lose the next battle because my car is now too heavy and slow to manoeuvre. Whenever I lose something (e.g. everything I got given in the tutorial, when I died trying to get access to the trading station), I have no idea how I'm meant to get another one – the trading station only ever seems to have one useful component out of the several you need. If I need a battery, a solar panel, and a repair thing, I'll only ever be able to buy one of those three, because the others just don't seem to exist in the shop.

The tutorial missions seem to pit you against ridiculously powerful vehicles – the "bait" mission spawned two enemies, each with 8-10 guns, whereas I had maybe 2 guns and 2 lasers. At that point I had absolutely everything I owned bolted onto my car, so of course it all got destroyed; if you lose everything every time you die, and you die every time you enter combat, I don't see the point of buying anything when I seem to do just as poorly using the free starter car as anything I build myself.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some secret that will make me suddenly able to win battles or retrieve my stuff after I lose them, or even just a way to buy a solar panel, a battery, and a repair pod at the same time? Or am I just terrible at the game?

Random Spaceship

Aussie Booklord
The enemies you fight (in the early game) should be well matched against you, the player. If you can't defeat any of them and now you've lost all your stuff, you've probably had absolutely horrible luck. Try starting a new save, with the experience you have now. You'll probably have a better time.

burger1113

That's odd for sure. We are talking about Campaign here, right?
The random world spawns should be pretty easy to beat no matter how little your tech is. You should try beating a few of them to get their parts to beef yourself up. Try and get as good of a mobility as you can get as well. Easiest way to do that I think is to build a tech with a sort of a staircase in front of a tech, with each stair having a row of weapons. Try to ditch the little pea shooter you first get ASAP, too. Lazers let you snipe guys from a distance before they can engage properly.
Lastly, I recommend you check out youtube videos of ZeroGravitas. Very helpful in all the ways, but especially for getting you into fabricating, which is a pretty good way to unlock high tier blocks and really, have as much fun as possible in this game IMO.
Good Luck Bruh. May Crafty Mike be with you.

MrTwister

Yes, you're doing smth wrong. Change tactics, try to experiment, avoid unwanted encounters :)

TT is one of the easiest games I played, I find it not very challenging at all.

Thanks for the replies, all – I restarted the campaign, and I'm having much more success this time round.

The random world spawns should be pretty easy to beat no matter how little your tech is.
Not if you die immediately after a load of difficult enemies spawn because you picked up a load of guns; then you're left with multiple enemies that massively outclass you, and no real way to deal with them.

Dynamix

Do you want to have a GOOD time?
On early campaign,since you have a few blocks,try to place the cab in some layers behind blocks,to avoid insta-death from weapons(especially lasers).
This is the most common mistake for early players.
And after getting the battery and repair bubble,frequently charge it,and keep it charged before encountering the Trader Troll(since he has shields).

Nate

Yeah, you must not have a functioning repair bubble. Solar panel block and a repair bubble sphere. Both given to you in an early mission. A slightly later mission will give you a battery. Kinda of a pain because you have to stop and charge the batteries fairly often.

I usually end up getting a shield bubble from a dead tech. More batteries can sometimes be purchased but usually I get them infrequently from dead techs. They tend to blow up.

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Website
ngttadventures.blogspot.se
tldr: I can't work out if the game is bad, or if I'm bad, or if I just don't understand what I'm meant to be doing.

I've played TerraTech for about an hour and a half (thanks for the Steam free weekend, devs!), but I still can't work out if I'm playing it right. Every time I try to attack anyone, I get absolutely crushed – I think I've killed my opponent in about 2 battles out of 10 or more, and on one of those occasions I died moments after from a shot that was still in the air (on the other, I died 30 seconds later when another enemy showed up). Every time I die, I lose all my stuff, either because it's been destroyed or because I can't find the remains; if I do manage to salvage something, or if I get something as a reward from the tutorial or a mission, then I immediately lose the next battle because my car is now too heavy and slow to manoeuvre. Whenever I lose something (e.g. everything I got given in the tutorial, when I died trying to get access to the trading station), I have no idea how I'm meant to get another one – the trading station only ever seems to have one useful component out of the several you need. If I need a battery, a solar panel, and a repair thing, I'll only ever be able to buy one of those three, because the others just don't seem to exist in the shop.

The tutorial missions seem to pit you against ridiculously powerful vehicles – the "bait" mission spawned two enemies, each with 8-10 guns, whereas I had maybe 2 guns and 2 lasers. At that point I had absolutely everything I owned bolted onto my car, so of course it all got destroyed; if you lose everything every time you die, and you die every time you enter combat, I don't see the point of buying anything when I seem to do just as poorly using the free starter car as anything I build myself.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some secret that will make me suddenly able to win battles or retrieve my stuff after I lose them, or even just a way to buy a solar panel, a battery, and a repair pod at the same time? Or am I just terrible at the game?
1. move cab in center of tech so it is not exposed to enemy fire.

2. In last few days during free weekend i noticed that too many people do not use repair and shield bubbles. Add more batteries, whenever you find them, in central part of tech so they are protected from direct fire.

3. Do not leave so many blocks on the ground and build up your tech place weapons on back side also. Starting tech should look like porcupine with weapons all over it.

4. use more wheels, for early game, lvl2 and lvl 3 GSO, good is to make multiple rows of wheels under the tech, not just on sides, that will give you maneuverability and speed. Place bigger wheels as soon as you get them.

5. if you like I can stream first hour and you can join me on discord, so I can give you some advices how to start and play.

Use many MANY batteries with repair bubbles and shields. Also, you can use the anchor button in the corner on flat terrain to anchor and have solar panels work.

burger1113

Is it weird that terratech is a construction company in Alberta Canada?
Lol yeah, it's a company in Korea as well... Which might be an issue when it gets translated fully and makes its way into the Korean search providers. I think the audience could be huge if it gets a campaign co-op tho, especially with game streamers being pretty big around here too.

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
I also find the early game to be quite hard. Mainly because of the fact that techs in MISSIONS are much more powerful than you. In my experience, it's best to ignore a lot of the non-unique missions before you have a decent fighting tech. You should aim for the turret mission, as it unlocks the inventory, where you can store all your lose blocks.

A thing I personally found helpful in my latest campaign is to ignore the trader troll mission for a while and just farm naturally spawning techs for their guns, blocks, and sometimes batteries and the like.