Alternative block placement orientation controls - simple, predictable

2 options to pick here...

• This sounds BETTER than the current system.

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • No, it's WORST.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I mostly use [Right Click] to re-orient blocks.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I mostly use [F] and [G].

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • I use both of the current controls, often.

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I think zoom is too important, still, while building. So it'd need to be a modifier key, plus wheel. Perhaps too fiddly...?:confused:

What? No.:p:) I love my God's eye, disembodied view.
Yea but it'd be so much better to build that way when you don't have to rotate the camera every second to place something...

Yea but it'd be so much better to build that way when you don't have to rotate the camera every second to place something...
How would first-person building even work?

I think it would just be confusing and very difficult to use compared to the current system. Also, it doesn't solve the problem with the current block rotation system being stupid and annoying.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
How would first-person building even work?

I think it would just be confusing and very difficult to use compared to the current system. Also, it doesn't solve the problem with the current block rotation system being stupid and annoying.
Not to mention the fact that blocks like to be placed behind the camera if they can be placed there...

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
It may be worthwhile to consider From The Depths's (a creative physics vehicle vs vehicle game ) system for rotation where `tab` is held down when pressing the W/S A/D and Q/E keys to rotate the block around each axis of motion, although this might be too far from Terra Tech's core simplicity principle.
Untitled.png

Zorgomol

Not a Number
Man, I could write a long list of suggestions about how to modify the build system but this margin is too small for that and I'll just mention one thing.
Right-click should be extremely simplified. Right now it does at least five different things, up to and including nothing whatsoever, when you click on a block. It can even do an upredictable combination of these things, which is quite bad.

Deutsche Würfel

I look good in this dress.
i wnat option to turn off autosanp. suggestion: press [X] to change axis. Press [Y] to rotate. Seen it in other games. Done.

Two keys to control movement and rotation along three axes – it sort of works and probably should be kept, but I second the suggestion of <modifier> plus four [was six] movement keys for these things.

Or use two keys to switch orientation (rotate, change axis) and the usual movement keys to slide the block around on the attachment location being pointed at, perhaps. A representation of which axis is current and how the movement keys affect it would be needed too – a combination of a labelled cross for {-X, +X, -Y, +Y} and three axes, one highlighted, indicating which is current for rotating.

Outline it in white to indicate a valid attachment, shade it in red and superimpose a cross to indicate an invalid attachment.

Regarding right click – it's perhaps too simple. You just click and some action is performed; control over what action is needed. That would complicate the controls but make actual usage easier.

Last edited:

Wesley Mays

A fan of AI hovercraft parties
I say we have the following controls:

[RMB] Stays the same
[R] Selects the next attachment point
[F] Selects the next rotation staying on that attachment point
[V] Shifts the block over without rotating it; very useful for long and GeoCorp blocks

The controls should be changeable, other than [RMB], but these should be the defaults in controls. Also, there should be a checkbox to enable this (like the OP said), as well as (unrelated) a button, settable in controls, that toggles shield/repair bubbles on and off.

Wesley Mays

A fan of AI hovercraft parties
i wnat option to turn off autosanp. suggestion: press [X] to change axis. Press [Y] to rotate. Seen it in other games. Done.
The X key would be conflicting. It's already used for explosive bolts.
So, do you want Payload Studios to change the controls for your idea, or for the explosive bolts?

Maybe add the ability to build in the first person?
NONONONONONONONONO.

Anyway, they still need flipped variants of the Manufacturing blocks. Like, although dumb, the rotating sequence is random, the inability to flip blocks around makes for wider and more awkward techs than with the ability to flip blocks. This only affects blocks with both input and output (Refineries and Component Crafters as well as whatever machinations modders make), because no rotation can take a refinery into its mirror image. In places where a mirrored refinery would be best and save space, you have to instead make it fit a 5-wide instead of a 4-wide, or make it 6-wide.