[Alt]+[Right click] should select from inventory the part currently pointed at.

Which interface option would you like?:

• Other (Comment).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None, I'm fine thanks.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
As in, select a block type on your tech or the ground, like an eyedropper tool in a paint program.

I already suggested this in a comment to this suggestion thread, that was asking for a favourites tab. But this key binding would require no fiddly UI rework, and I'd expect fairly minimal coding, since the game already knows what block you are pointing at (for the block info tool tip).

I've almost started to do this by mistake, already, such is the mental effort to keep rooting back and forth through the jumbled inventory. So I'm thinking that quickly implementing this little suggestion would be a great bone to throw to the more committed tech builders here, in the interim, while waiting for, well, everything, seemingly. Although it would also make sense to tie it in with the rest of the control rework update, as and when that takes place. @zanzistar, have I seen you talking about that already as part of your dev domain?

Maybe a different shortcut key (comment below)? Middle mouse button was suggested by @The Grand Teki, which would be OK too (even though I don't like my mouse's heavy wheel click).

But, as things are, [Alt] is already used to free up [Left Click] to interact with parts (while retaining current inventory selection). And tapping [Alt] twice deselects current inventory item (something I only figured out recently by mistake). So it would make sense, to me that [Alt]+[RMB] would be another inventory selecting function.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boomik

JimmyBlether

Regrettably Inactive (long term)
Jul 31, 2017
Somewhere off the map
tinyurl.com
But, as things are, [Alt] is already used to free up [Left Click] to interact with parts (while retaining current inventory selection). And tapping [Alt] twice deselects current inventory item (something I only figured out recently by mistake). So it would make sense, to me that [Alt]+[RMB] would be another inventory selecting function.
Me too, found this myself by accident. We do need a pick block feature in R&D and creative.

Reactions: harpo99999