Allow Angled Anchors

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by WhitePaw2002, May 16, 2018.

?

Yes

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Yes, but only a very few

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WhitePaw2002

WhitePaw2002 Modding Husky

Some anchors should allow for non-upright anchoring (specifically for moving techs with anchors)
    Limited so that it cannot anchor to planes over 25 to 40 degrees from the normal. You know, the same functionality of the GeoCorp Trading station that was sadly pulled from the face of the earth

2. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Living in my pizza boxes because mom kicked me out

RE-ADD THE GC TRADING STATIONS! I NEVER GOT TO SEE THEM! I STOPPED PLAYING WHILE THEY EXISTED!

Lord Zarnox and JimmyBlether like this.
  3. Epic afdc

Epic afdc Well-Known Member

4. Captain Load

Captain Load Well-Known Member

The frequent suggestions FAQ seems to indicate this is impossible but I have trouble accepting that for one simple reason: I have SEEN angled anchors due to a bug. I would anchor my techs and the anchor would be at an angle, and my tech would shift its position a little to compensate. I think the bug was fixed since i haven't seen it since 8.0 came out but IMO it counted as a proof-of-concept.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  5. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

It's not fixed. I've had it a couple of times in 0.8.1.2/3 (or perhaps better but I have had something that I would consider being a bug like that).

It's equally doable if you look at the way the game handles the positioning. All placement has rotational parameters. I suspect that the real issue is the currently the only way to rotate something is in 90° steps. Rotating an anchor by 90° wouldn't make much sense, and if you changed the game so that less than 90° was possible you'd run into the (potential) issue of all blocks requiring more steps to position correctly. Which in all other instances less than 90° makes no sense at all.

It's something I could see being added after 1.0, or more likely as a mod. But I don't think it'd get the use to warrant what would be I suspect a fairly major change in the GUI/UI and controls.

6. Captain Load

Captain Load Well-Known Member

You know, you might be onto something. You can float a tech, spin and it and position it any way you want horizontally. If you're rolling straight up a perfect 45 degree hill then every block in that tech is at a 45 angle, and the wheels are interacting with the terrain at the same angle. There's no 90 degree "grid" to the world like in Minecraft. Only the blocks that are part of a single tech need to be square with each other. That really suggests to me that a variable anchor is possible. Right now it seems like the only thing that does need to be at a 90 degree angle is the anchor between the tech and the world (when its not bugging out, LOL). Maybe this is impossible to change w/o redoing major parts of the underlying code, but IMO it might be worth it just for the sheer amount of possibilities it could create.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  7. Lost Ninja

I've done it through editing the save. Its just a pain doing it that way... and now that most blocks won't clip into the ground actually using angled anchors now isn't terribly useful.

8. Khaine

Khaine Well-Known Member

Isn't the whole point of anchoring making it so that it's difficult to anchor in less than ideal conditions? Personally I find the whole anchoring concept a pain in the posterior with no redeeming features. Not like you can anchor and shoot faster. Or get better shields. or more range. or ANYTHING. It's just an annoyance that you have to put up with.

That said.. I don't think devs are gonna give you those angled anchors. But it'd be nice if they did.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  9. Lost Ninja

Some stuff only works when anchored, giving you an advantage of effectively unlimited power. Arguably massive anchored structures are easier to turn than non-anchored variants so it can improve defence. And they're about the only real use of friendly AI at the moment. I'd love to see improvements for anchoring, including being able to anchor at an angle. But they seem to work fine ATM as they are.

10. Lost Ninja

To add if you do add this can we also have some method to position anchors within the height of the placement vertically. Trying to align two surfaces using the EXP ramps and having a PITA due to the anchors not adjusting height-wise with enough granularity.