All hover blocks are now junk.

loafofbread

Hi all.

Long time no post.

So, the last few updates have seen some huge, impressive, fantastic changes. But the floating blocks have been made WORSE.

They used to be stable, reliable, predictable, and useable.

Now they just bounce around uselessly.

Especially the EXP Flying Fortress Hover Plate (which i feel should be moved to Hawkeye as they don't have one).

I mean, sure; They're more powerful now, but at cost of being any use at all.

They were good at 0.8 settings, but changed for the worse not long after the GEO hover block was introduced.

JimmyBlether

A Kerbal Demon
Website
tinyurl.com
The power of the script.
There is no reason why payload shouldn't are this. All the work has been done already, same with water, but you won't add it.

I don't get it. I'd like some proper reasoning behind this decision. Not just 'it's a mod'.

I really needed to voice my opinion on something that confuses me. Sorry if this offends the developers.

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Website
ngttadventures.blogspot.se
There is no reason why payload shouldn't are this. All the work has been done already, same with water, but you won't add it.

I don't get it. I'd like some proper reasoning behind this decision. Not just 'it's a mod'.

I really needed to voice my opinion on something that confuses me. Sorry if this offends the developers.
I cry for this also. But maybe applying stabilization script will cancel hoverbug or make other problems with code. I tried mods and particular one made game unstable.
About water... for water you need to make new biomes that are lower than rest of map, and you need to set up blocks to float properlly. i use mod and it act weird, not logical blocks are floating and some that should not sunk... so "just" is not that easy if you like stable game.

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Yeah @Sdarks! Do it!!

Sdarks

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
While Whitepaws mods are nice and I like his work there's so many reasons why we can't just take something a modder has done. I'll try and keep to general reasons why we might not take mod code rather than specific comments on Whitepaws code as I haven't looked as his code enough to comment.

Reasons why we might not just copy a mods code:
- It's prototype code. It could be unfinished code, it might work in some situations but not others or break things etc
- It's hacky code. There's an easy way to do things and the right way, often mods use the easy way.
- It's rubbish. I doubt this applies to Whitepaw but some code in mods just sucks, like it's really bad code but it just happens to just about work.
- Modders have different priorities. If you're making a mod you just want it to work. When writing game code you want it to be expandable in future, you want it to run well, you want it to interact correctly with all the different internal systems etc.
- We can do it better. In the vast majority of the cases we can do it better, modders are just not working with the tools and knowledge that we have, regardless of how skilled they are.
- Copyright issues. Who owns the modders code? What happens legally if we take it, do we need to pay them? Do they even have the rights to their own code? Maybe they copy pasted half of it from the internet somewhere. This gets even more of an issue with people who are under legal age (can a 13 or 16 year old legally give up their rights to code?) I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea but I know it's messy.
- It sets a precedent. You take code from one mod and people expect any cool thing in a mod to end up in the base game.
- It may break existing/upcoming things. Could break upcoming code or features that the modder isn't aware of, or simply break existing peoples techs and saves etc.

I hope that gives some insight, of course it's always different depending on the mod and who wrote it etc, but these are the general reasons.

As for the hover code, we are aware of it and we are working to improve it, but we're taking our time to find a proper way to fix it and make it work for everyone in every situation. If we wanted to add something like what Whitepaw has done we would probably have done it already.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimmyBlether

A Kerbal Demon
Website
tinyurl.com
While Whitepaws mods are nice and I like his work there's so many reasons why we can't just take something a modder has done. I'll try and keep to general reasons why we might not take mod code rather than specific comments on Whitepaws code as I haven't looked as his code enough to comment.

Reasons why we might not just copy a mods code:
- It's prototype code. It could be unfinished code, it might work in some situations but not others or break things etc
- It's hacky code. There's an easy way to do things and the right way, often mods use the easy way.
- It's rubbish. I doubt this applies to Whitepaw but some code in mods just sucks, like it's really bad code but it just happens to just about work.
- Modders have different priorities. If you're making a mod you just want it to work. When writing game code you want it to be expandable in future, you want it to run well, you want it to interact correctly with all the different internal systems etc.
- We can do it better. In the vast majority of the cases we can do it better, modders are just not working with the tools and knowledge that we have, regardless of how skilled they are.
- Copyright issues. Who owns the modders code? What happens legally if we take it, do we need to pay them? Do they even have the rights to their own code? Maybe they copy pasted half of it from the internet somewhere. This gets even more of an issue with people who are under legal age (can a 13 or 16 year old legally give up their rights to code?) I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea but I know it's messy.
- It sets a precedent. You take code from one mod and people expect any cool thing in a mod to end up in the base game.
- It may break existing/upcoming things. Could break upcoming code or features that the modder isn't aware of, or simply break existing peoples techs and saves etc.

I hope that gives some insight, of course it's always different depending on the mod and who wrote it etc, but these are the general reasons.

As for the hover code, we are aware of it and we are working to improve it, but we're taking out time to find a proper way to fix it and make it work for everyone in every situation. If we wanted to add something like what Whitepaw has done we would probably have done it already.
Ok. There is some valid reasons I wanted mentioned. I see your point but @WhitePaw2002, what do you want to happen?

P.s. On whitepaw's profile it says he is 16.