All hover blocks are now junk.

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by loafofbread, Sep 11, 2018.

1. loafofbread

loafofbread Well-Known Member

Hi all.

Long time no post.

So, the last few updates have seen some huge, impressive, fantastic changes. But the floating blocks have been made WORSE.

They used to be stable, reliable, predictable, and useable.

Now they just bounce around uselessly.

Especially the EXP Flying Fortress Hover Plate (which i feel should be moved to Hawkeye as they don't have one).

I mean, sure; They're more powerful now, but at cost of being any use at all.

They were good at 0.8 settings, but changed for the worse not long after the GEO hover block was introduced.

Soviet_Samuelson likes this.
  2. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

We really need @WhitePaw2002 's hover balancing script to be implemented. The only usable hovers now are GEO hovers, the rest are way too bouncy.

3. WhitePaw2002

WhitePaw2002 Modding Husky

remembers ttmm and harmony

...Let me just slap one up real quick

4. WEEBOO

WEEBOO Well-Known Member

I like flying too

5. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER

ADD IT ALREADY!

Please Payload.

6. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

The power of the script.

7. JimmyBlether

There is no reason why payload shouldn't are this. All the work has been done already, same with water, but you won't add it.

I don't get it. I'd like some proper reasoning behind this decision. Not just 'it's a mod'.

I really needed to voice my opinion on something that confuses me. Sorry if this offends the developers.

8. Nightblade Greyswandir

Nightblade Greyswandir Nothing is good enough!

new big gyros make hovertech very stable and useful... finally!

9. Nightblade Greyswandir

Nightblade Greyswandir Nothing is good enough!

I cry for this also. But maybe applying stabilization script will cancel hoverbug or make other problems with code. I tried mods and particular one made game unstable.
    About water... for water you need to make new biomes that are lower than rest of map, and you need to set up blocks to float properlly. i use mod and it act weird, not logical blocks are floating and some that should not sunk... so "just" is not that easy if you like stable game.

10. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

Hoverbug still works with the current script. So far I haven't encountered any problems.

11. Matt

Matt PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Yeah @Sdarks! Do it!!

12. JimmyBlether

WAIT WHAT!

A DEV WANTS IT TOO!!!!

Soviet_Samuelson and Legionite like this.
  13. {insert_name_here}

{insert_name_here} [REDACTED]

Wait, so it's that easy to get a developer to suggest your idea to the programmers?

Now I'm wondering what happened to all of my suggestions... (jk)

14. JimmyBlether

It is now!
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

15. Sdarks

Sdarks PAYLOAD STUDIOS

While Whitepaws mods are nice and I like his work there's so many reasons why we can't just take something a modder has done. I'll try and keep to general reasons why we might not take mod code rather than specific comments on Whitepaws code as I haven't looked as his code enough to comment.

Reasons why we might not just copy a mods code:
    - It's prototype code. It could be unfinished code, it might work in some situations but not others or break things etc
    - It's hacky code. There's an easy way to do things and the right way, often mods use the easy way.
    - It's rubbish. I doubt this applies to Whitepaw but some code in mods just sucks, like it's really bad code but it just happens to just about work.
    - Modders have different priorities. If you're making a mod you just want it to work. When writing game code you want it to be expandable in future, you want it to run well, you want it to interact correctly with all the different internal systems etc.
    - We can do it better. In the vast majority of the cases we can do it better, modders are just not working with the tools and knowledge that we have, regardless of how skilled they are.
    - Copyright issues. Who owns the modders code? What happens legally if we take it, do we need to pay them? Do they even have the rights to their own code? Maybe they copy pasted half of it from the internet somewhere. This gets even more of an issue with people who are under legal age (can a 13 or 16 year old legally give up their rights to code?) I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea but I know it's messy.
    - It sets a precedent. You take code from one mod and people expect any cool thing in a mod to end up in the base game.
    - It may break existing/upcoming things. Could break upcoming code or features that the modder isn't aware of, or simply break existing peoples techs and saves etc.

I hope that gives some insight, of course it's always different depending on the mod and who wrote it etc, but these are the general reasons.

As for the hover code, we are aware of it and we are working to improve it, but we're taking our time to find a proper way to fix it and make it work for everyone in every situation. If we wanted to add something like what Whitepaw has done we would probably have done it already.

#15 Sdarks, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2018
  16. JimmyBlether

Ok. There is some valid reasons I wanted mentioned. I see your point but @WhitePaw2002, what do you want to happen?

P.s. On whitepaw's profile it says he is 16.

17. WhitePaw2002

WhitePaw2002 Modding Husky

Oh hello there

(I have returned)