Aiming system suggestions

OtatoJoe

- Increase its lockon/detection range, to that of maximum range of the current weapons on-board(lasers included)

- Turreted weapons should account own techs' moving speed when locked onto enemy.

- add targeting block that predicts enemy tech movement and aim predictively instead of on-point.

This is mostly for making it less punishing to make small and fast techs that don't use homing weapons.

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
- Increase its lockon/detection range, to that of maximum range of the current weapons on-board(lasers included)
I think the current lock-on distance is the same as the enemy Tech sight range - which means that it's not possible to lock on and snipe Techs that cannot see you. We could increase both in step if we want to, but increasing enemy sight range has wider implications.
- Turreted weapons should account own techs' moving speed when locked onto enemy.
- add targeting block that predicts enemy tech movement and aim predictively instead of on-point.
So we've actually experimented with something like this in-house, but it has a few knock on effects that we're trying to avoid. (It would greatly disturb the difficulty for example - as suddenly weapons would become a LOT more accurate and deadly). So we're poking about with it when we have time atm :)

eddie

Forever thonk, dis is ma philosophy
Maybe we can have things like different radar gives different lock on range, FCS blocks that slightly improves weapon tracking and auto aim range(does not increase weapon turn rate) or recon drone that will mark enemy to allow remote lock on?

Falchoin

If predictive targeting were added via block rather than made base then it wouldn’t disturb the balance of current enemies and would allow for devs to be very careful in adding new enemies with said block to prevent (even more) sudden spikes in difficulty (Looking at you Hawkeye and BF missions with random missile laden enemies).

Especially late/end game I would love to see more difficult enemies spawn. Maybe even tie it to a mission so players can opt into it? Like... something which causes the planet to be declared a hazard zone so only the most hardy of prospectors will dare land.

Redlegdaddy

I actually dislike auto-aiming weapons and would prefer some weapons that you actually have to line up to land shots. fast-moving ground techs can use weapons like the cluster missile launcher.

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
I actually dislike auto-aiming weapons and would prefer some weapons that you actually have to line up to land shots. fast-moving ground techs can use weapons like the cluster missile launcher.
I'd not thought about the idea to have both auto-aim and manual targeted weapons actually...interesting.
Maybe we can have things like different radar gives different lock on range
This could be something we look into in the future. Not a bad idea.

Exund

Fancy Modder
Somewhere in space, near my Techs (Switzerland)
I think the current lock-on distance is the same as the enemy Tech sight range - which means that it's not possible to lock on and snipe Techs that cannot see you.
Well you can when using connons like the Big Bertha or the MK3 but you have to manually adjust the shot.

Having different lock-on ranges and tracking capacities would be interesting

Kevin Vanderhoef

Eldritch Horror, and Ship's Cat.
Better yet, even if we never get mouse aim how about an option to turn off the "Smart aim" alltogether?
Just hit the trigger, and fire in the direction the weapon is pointed.
Seeing as not being able to control the aim more than telling the gunner to "Aim at this guy" I'd like to see an option for "Dumb fire". This becomes especially useful if we are using weapons that can benefit from strait up fire especially if the weapon in question can reach beyond the maximum Targeting range. or you are attacking a number of Small techs and just want a "Spread" of fire.

Kevin Vanderhoef

Eldritch Horror, and Ship's Cat.
I posted a similar thread asking for a mappable button for this targeting display. I play on a Mac, which has no middle-click— therefore I can't lock on ):
Have you tried using the Meta keys when clicking? they are the keys by the spacebar; "Crtl, Meta, Alt".
Apple Computer designer's are not completely clueless.

Better yet, have you tried using a standard three button mouse with your Mac?

Last edited:

Epic afdc

I think the current lock-on distance is the same as the enemy Tech sight range - which means that it's not possible to lock on and snipe Techs that cannot see you. We could increase both in step if we want to, but increasing enemy sight range has wider implications.

So we've actually experimented with something like this in-house, but it has a few knock on effects that we're trying to avoid. (It would greatly disturb the difficulty for example - as suddenly weapons would become a LOT more accurate and deadly). So we're poking about with it when we have time atm :)
I have an idea for this, maybe like a late grade (4 or 5) GSO targeting block that lets your weapons aim significantly better. Or maybe a grade 3 Hawkeye block that does the same thing.

OtatoJoe

Oh that makes sense. I wouldn't want an enemy tech across the map charging towards my unarmed harvesting tech now do i

I think for PVP and creative co-op mode the range can be increased by a little bit though.