AI Suggestion (and others)

corpsgrinder360

Nov 15, 2015
So the randomly generated basses that you find just have guards and nothing else,either that or some AI that just run away in fear of you. I suggest making it look like the AI is building something or actually doing something productive, like harvesting some rocks nearby to sell for cash, or building more to there base.

A new possible base that I came up with the new faction would have its own harvesting station ect but it would have pretty strong turrets with both types of shields. Basically 4 turrets that are moderately strong and a few guards.
(have the turrets connected to the main part of the base, then have a few batteries with some solar panels)

I think basses that are discovered and left untouched should grow bigger and become harder to take over. As consequence for not attacking it.

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
I suggest making it look like the AI is building something or actually doing something productive
Definitely :) We used to have a base that had working Harvester AI's collecting resources and bringing them back to the base - but it only worked in a set world and with a 'special' rock just for them haha. It doesn't work so well in a randomly generated seed.

Eventually, we'll have AI that's intelligent enough to be able to scour the surrounding area for resources and bring them back to their base - while fabricator/selling/scrapping whatever. It's on the list :) we think it'd be really cool.
I think basses that are discovered and left untouched should grow bigger and become harder to take over. As consequence for not attacking it.
YES! This is something we've wanted for a long time. Hopefully one day :)

Lost Ninja

Jul 17, 2015
Yorkshire Dales under a rock.
We used to have a base that had working Harvester AI's collecting resources and bringing them back to the base - but it only worked in a set world and with a 'special' rock just for them haha. It doesn't work so well in a randomly generated seed.
Couldn't you just spawn the resource(s) with the base? From a players perspective it wouldn't really matter if the base was actually self supporting or just appeared to be.

ilikegoodfood

Oct 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Couldn't you just spawn the resource(s) with the base? From a players perspective it wouldn't really matter if the base was actually self supporting or just appeared to be.
There are slight differences in the emergent behavior of a pseudo-system vs an actual one.
It's not a good example or a good vocalization of a half formed extrapolation of a potential implementation, but It's all I've got right now, so if you are interested, there is an example in here.
A Base has 2 Turrets, a roaming guard/scavenger and 3 identical harvesters. For the purposes of resource gathering we can ignore the turrets.
The area around the base still has reasonable resources in it, because the "Harvesters" aren't actually collecting them. The base's presence is little more than a chance of combat. Even if I then destroy one of the 3 identical harvesters, the Base would still be gaining resources in whatever proportion the area contain, even though only at 2/3rds the rate.
If the Harvesters were actually harvesting and feeding the base, then 3 harvesters, assuming they keep an area fairly clear of resources, will cover a noteworthy region, stripping it of what I, the player, needs, thus I have a good reason to go hunting them. Furthermore, when I go and destroy that 1 harvester, the area that the AI base is effecting changes shape and the ratio of incoming resources could change drastically, depending on where the resources are located.
That change might make it extremely difficult for the base to build a new harvester, as a vital component might be missing and so force the base to purchase those blocks, which is more expensive than crafting it and thus should delay the new harvester in a unique way, compared to fixed spawns.
In this case, in both scenarios, the roaming guard now only has 3 places to defend, the base and the 2 remaining harvesters, instead of 4.

Lost Ninja

Jul 17, 2015
Yorkshire Dales under a rock.
There are slight differences in the emergent behavior of a pseudo-system vs an actual one.
It's not a good example or a good vocalization of a half formed extrapolation of a potential implementation, but It's all I've got right now, so if you are interested, there is an example in here.
A Base has 2 Turrets, a roaming guard/scavenger and 3 identical harvesters. For the purposes of resource gathering we can ignore the turrets.
The area around the base still has reasonable resources in it, because the "Harvesters" aren't actually collecting them. The base's presence is little more than a chance of combat. Even if I then destroy one of the 3 identical harvesters, the Base would still be gaining resources in whatever proportion the area contain, even though only at 2/3rds the rate.
If the Harvesters were actually harvesting and feeding the base, then 3 harvesters, assuming they keep an area fairly clear of resources, will cover a noteworthy region, stripping it of what I, the player, needs, thus I have a good reason to go hunting them. Furthermore, when I go and destroy that 1 harvester, the area that the AI base is effecting changes shape and the ratio of incoming resources could change drastically, depending on where the resources are located.
That change might make it extremely difficult for the base to build a new harvester, as a vital component might be missing and so force the base to purchase those blocks, which is more expensive than crafting it and thus should delay the new harvester in a unique way, compared to fixed spawns.
In this case, in both scenarios, the roaming guard now only has 3 places to defend, the base and the 2 remaining harvesters, instead of 4.
TBH I think you're over-thinking the idea, if you spawn the resources with the base. That the base knows is there you get the appearance of a functional base, as a player once you capture it then you'd do the harvesting so nothing changes. But before that it looks better.

Basically going from a non-functional base with guards and roaming harvesters to a non-functional base with guards and roaming harvesters that appear to be doing some work.