Advanced World-Generation Options

Would you like World-Generation options

• I would like world-gen options and these look pretty good.

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • I would like world-gen options, but I don't like these.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would like world-gen options, but I don't know which ones.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I'm not sure if I want world-gen options.

• I don't care about world-gen options.

• I don't think that world-gen options are a good idea.

• Total voters

ilikegoodfood

I am creating three new threads today. I am aware that all of them have been discussed before and that all of them will not be until after 1.0, but I still feel that it is time to mention them again.

I'm fully aware that the devs want to get the game working, balanced and optimized before they look at advanced world options. Even if they like the idea, it'll be a long time and it may not work out.

I'm suggesting that an advanced tab be included in new-game setup that includes world option and additional starting options (see thread on those).
  1. Day Length and Night Length
    • Allow players to define custom day-night lengths for varied play, no-solar challenges and a day-only easy mode.
  2. Strength of Gravity
    • Allow players to increase the strength of gravity, making blocks heavier, hovers lower and flight harder, or decrease the strength of gravity for a bouncy ride, easy flight for huge techs and epic jumps.
  3. Air Density
    • Higher air density both increases the lift generated by wings, making take-off easier, but also the drag, lowering top speeds. Lower air density provides less lift from wings and lower power from fans, but also reduces drag, allowing planes to fly much faster.
  4. Biome Weight and Size
    • Allow players to tamper with the frequency and size of biomes at world generation. Want enormous salt-flats that are very rare? Want nothing but mountains for that challenge mode?
  5. Resource Density and Frequency
    • Always wanted to see a world that was flooded with Celestite or contained no trees at all? This would allow you to make a resource as rare or common as you wanted.
    • On a side note, if this automatically changed the resource descriptions/tags from Common to Uncommon or whatever, that would be amazing.
  6. Corporation Exclusion (Suggested by @NGreyswandir )
    • Do all corporations always have an interest in all worlds? Have they all gotten there yet? Allowing the player to exclude corporations could make for some interesting options.
These are only the options that I have thought of at the moment, so there may be plenty more that could benefit players.
What do you fine folks think?

Last edited:
P

Pink Kitty

I know i'd prefer less mountains and forests, and more desert & flats.
Also longer day/night cycles, and bigger biomes.

So yes, excellent idea :)

Gameslinx

I'd also love some more control over the terrain, similarly to Minecraft (different games, different engines - might be an issue).

As in, values to adjust the noise weighting, frequency of biomes, terrain deformity (different between high and low points) and persistence (smoothness of the terrain). Could get some interesting results.

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
these seem pretty good. Only problem is the gravity. If you set it high enough the hovers won't work at all. But maybe that could be some sort of challenge

ilikegoodfood

these seem pretty good. Only problem is the gravity. If you set it high enough the hovers won't work at all. But maybe that could be some sort of challenge
That depends on where the minimum and maximums are on the sliders too.
If the gravity is high enough, then no wheel would be able to support it's own weight, and they would be overloaded by default. Extreme settings like that should either not be possible, beyond the maximums, or marked as extreme and potentially game-breaking.

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
That depends on where the minimum and maximums are on the sliders too.
If the gravity is high enough, then no wheel would be able to support it's own weight, and they would be overloaded by default. Extreme settings like that should either not be possible, beyond the maximums, or marked as extreme and potentially game-breaking.
Maybe in the distant future we can adjust the gravity while playing just so we can crash all of our planes. That would be funny to see.