The current mission structure seems very limiting for player exploration. A additional system being added referred to as "Encounters" that will randomly generate a variety of unique situations that the player can stumble onto.
- Hidden reward crates that are placed randomly in the environment, will spawn more frequently if the player travels a kilometer or more from any allied/owned techs. Some crates may have a special locks that can only be opened only under certain conditions. (power, resources, only open during the day/night, block bucks fee, destroy a hostile tech within it's vicinity, have tech(s) worth more than a certain amount of block bucks within it's area, etc.)
- Raiding party(s) that will attack a player's base or Techs, will/can occur if a player goes on a excessive killing spree or afk for a long period of time.
- A cargo crate that will only open when brought to a certain location, can be built upon but the player can't attach any Cabs/AI onto it or pick up with their mouse. (You have to "Haul" it)
- A "Capture" event to reclaim a trade station, keep the designated area clear of hostile techs for a certain amount of time or defeat all enemy waves to reactivate it.
- A tech requesting the player escort them, the player can protect them as they travel to point A to point B, they will join the player's fleet once they arrive at they're destination or if they're unlucky they can sometimes lead them straight into a ambush!
- A heavily armored tech hauling a massive load of resources, destroy it to claim them, it will escape if the player fails to destroy it before it arrives at it's destination.
- A neutral base that's requesting bulk load of a particular resource, if the player supplies them what they requested they can claim the base as they're own, if they decline the base will become hostile.
- A massive tech that will attack anything friend or foe within the area, they're meant to be a a obstacle to avoid or until you manage to build tech(s) that can take down these behemoths, be ready for a tough fight!
- and much more!