Achievements!

Do you want achievements?

• Yes, and most of these achievements you listed sound like good ones!

• Yes, but maybe not the achievements you specified.

• I'm not sure.

• I don't think achievements are a good idea.

Results are only viewable after voting.

{insert_name_here}

[REDACTED]
Mar 15, 2017
nowhere
I think it would make TerraTech a lot more fun to play if there were achievements. Of course, the achievements would only be for campaign, or else you could just cheat all of them in creative/R&D mode. I just think that achievements give the player actual goals to work towards, and it would be interesting to have goals like these to complete once you have maxed out all of the corporations! It would be even better if they were integrated with the Steam achievements system, of course! Most of these achievements are very grindy, but I still think they are needed, grindy or not! If they require a lot of grind, then it's your choice if you want to try to get the achievement or not.

Here are some suggestions for achievements. This is a VERY lengthy list, but it just goes to show how many achievements there could be. Most of these achievements are repetitive as well, eg. "get 10 of this", then "get 100 of this", then "get 1000 of this". Of course, if achievements are added, I'm not saying that ALL of these would be needed, because I've got 42 achievements here, and that's a lot of them! Anyways, here they all are:

Complete the tutorial (I would say to qualify as completing the tutorial would be defeating the Trader Troll, because you could consider it as a kind of boss).
Obtain an SCU.
Obtain a GC Grade 1 license.
Obtain a Venture Grade 1 license.
Obtain a Hawkeye Grade 1 license.
Four more achievements for maxing out each of the licenses.
Travel 10 kilometres.
Travel 100 kilometres.
Travel 1000 kilometres.
Travel 10000 kilometres.
Complete 10 missions (does not include Crafty Mike/tutorial missions).
Complete 50 missions.
Complete 100 missions.
Complete 200 missions.
Complete 500 missions.
Reach an altitude of 10,000 feet.
Travel 100 kilometres away from the coordinates 0,0.
Complete all of the Crafty Mike/Craftier Mike missions.
Defeat an invader.
Defeat 5 invaders.
Defeat 20 invaders.
Defeat 50 invaders.
Kill 10 enemies.
Kill 50 enemies.
Kill 100 enemies.
Kill 250 enemies.
Kill 500 enemies.
Kill 1000 enemies.
Mine 100 resources (one resource = one resource chunk. Rocks/trees contain resources but they are not the actual resources I am referring to.)
Mine 1000 resources.
Mine 10000 resources.
Earn 100,000 BB. (This is total BB earned in the entirety of the campaign)
Earn 1,000,000 BB.
Earn 10,000,000 BB.
Earn 100,000,000 BB.
Hoard 100,000 BB (this basically means have 100,000 unspent BB in your inventory)
Hoard 1,000,000 BB.
Reach speeds of over 200 mph on land.
Reach the speed limit (which I believe is 270 mph)
Defeat the final boss (if a final boss is ever added to the game)

If someone has already suggested achievements (which they probably have) then please excuse my ignorance.

Last edited:

FightBiscuit

May 6, 2016
Germany
The Question is: How could you connect the Achievements to the TT Backstory?
Achievements would be nice but they need to fit to the Storyline.
Maybe something like a Space ID Card and you can earn titels by destroying Techs, earn Money or craft blocks

Khaylain

May 11, 2017
@NGreyswandir I think he means both Steam achievements and ingame achievements. Ingame achievements gives the achievement-hunting possibility to those buying the game on a non-DRM platform like GOG etc.

@FightBiscuit I don't think achievements need to fit in with any backstory, it is simply for the player, not the player character. It can be integrated with the backstory, but they don't need to.

P

Pink Kitty

Stuff like this is planned eventually.

But it's super low priority.

Khaylain

May 11, 2017
@Pink Kitty Yeah, it is not needed until 1.0, but I hope and believe they keep it in the back of their minds to make it easier to hook such a system onto the rest of the game.

@{insert_name_here} I think it is a good thing that you've made a list of possible achievements, but as Pinky said; it is low priority. There are however several Early Access titles currently available which have an achievement system in place.

I'd like to see achievements included in the game as well, the earlier it is included the better. That could allow for polish of the system early, and ease of adding more achievements as development progresses.

{insert_name_here}

[REDACTED]
Mar 15, 2017
nowhere
Sorry for this late reply!

Yes, I understand this is a low priority thing, but it would be interesting to see some day!

Also, I mean both Steam and in-game achievements. This means that you could possibly receive a customised, ingame reward for completing an achievement! Steam achievements are only one-off (you would unlock the Steam achievement the first time you unlock the ingame version of that achievement) but it would also be interesting if the achievements in-game are specific to each campaign (e.g. even if you have unlocked every achievement on Steam, if you start a new campaign save, the achievements for that campaign will start from the beginning)

Also, if/when a story is eventually added to TerraTech, it would probably also be nice to have some achievements that are related to the storyline (but not all of the achievements).

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Feb 3, 2017
Terraland
ngttadventures.blogspot.se
Rob is our Publishing Director. For some reason he didn't have a Developer badge on the forum, Jamie should have fixed it now :)
What is job of publishin director in game industry?
Sorry about questions, my kids asked me few days ago how hard is to make a game, so I explain them how many people are involved in process (as i know), like concept artists, scrip writers, 3D designers, artists for in game textures, programmers, music and tone guys, actors for voices if needed, etc... I really had no idea that you need Publishing director...

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
Jan 15, 2017
Gulag
I think the game uses Meters.
A GSO one block is 1 Meter to a side. So when a quest is 1000 units away, that is 1 Kilometer.
Setting the travel achievements in KM would make them really long distances.
So, we should travel 100 meters and get an achievement? That's really easy

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Feb 3, 2017
Terraland
ngttadventures.blogspot.se
I think the game uses Meters.
A GSO one block is 1 Meter to a side. So when a quest is 1000 units away, that is 1 Kilometer.
Setting the travel achievements in KM would make them really long distances.
It is less than one meter, it is around 0.93 m This is based on speed, if MPH are land miles per hour. you get tech that goes in constant speed, go for 5 minutes, get coordinate where you are (i went south in R&D) multiply it by 12 so you get how many blocks you will pass in one hour, compare that to speed, and calcualte how long is one block. it come out around 0.93 m that way.

These achivements are cool, but the games uses kilometers, not miles
MPH is miles per hour.