According to the lore, does the TT gameplay imply killing people?

As a player, I am interested in the game lore. Here's a piece of lore from the press kit :
"as well as tracking down the planet's assets ahead of your rivals, you will also find yourself taking them on in direct combat"
"New vehicle parts and weapons can be scavenged from other prospectors"
So, you are not unique — there are other prospectors like you. They are your rivals though, and the only possible interaction is fighting them and destroying their techs.

In order to get xp/bb for a rival tech, you have to destroy the cabin block, like GSO Cosmonaut SAP Cab. In comparison to a AI module with cameras, every cabin has windows, so presumably it has a pilot inside — an other prospector like yourself.

Keep in mind, the game shows no means of leaving the planet so far. Basically, the protagonist is a mass murderer, who is stuck on an alien planet in endless fight till death. Also, many peaceful NPCs — the ones you're supposed to protect — are actually AIs, not people. Seems like a dark dystopian future, which doesn't actually suit the game mood.

Does the game lore imply all these things, or am I getting it wrong?

Last edited:

Exund

Fancy Modder
Somewhere in space, near my Techs (Switzerland)
It has been established that the cabs are remotely controlled at some point (explaining the lac of gruesome explosions and infinite respawn)
The ingame camera being a little drone around the tech

Yes this explanation doesn't really make sense but normally sized people fitting in the GSO Cab (which is 1m^3) doesn't either

General Douglas

It has been established that the cabs are remotely controlled at some point (explaining the lac of gruesome explosions and infinite respawn)

Yes this explanation doesn't really make sense but normally sized people fitting in the GSO Cab (which is 1m^3) doesn't either

I mean the GeoCorp Cab has a Jacuzzi so anything's possible at this point...

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
I also remember reading in the forum this explanation (from memory it was one of the threads relating to the size of blocks and distances/ ranges/speed and also at least two years ago)

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS

I can confirm this is accurate.

Zonko

Doesn't make sense. If the cabs are just drones, then why do they act like that?
'Help me, i'm under attack!'
Etc.

They are written like there are people in there.
People worried about getting blown up, not just irked that they will lose a few blocks.
Also: windows on cabs.

Kevin Vanderhoef

Eldritch Horror, and Ship's Cat.
The Cab is essentially a 1 meter computer controlled box with enough Clark-technology that you are essentially copied into a virtual environment including the Jaccusi, and wet bar. The AI's are not as smart, because some of their specialized hardware takes up space your cab uses to run Your Virtual Self. The turret has it's rotating anchor, Gruntle has a slightly bigger gun.

I can't explain the other Corps AI that are up to Four times the size of the GSO Equivalent. Maybe they use some what cheaper hardwear?

Last edited:

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Website
ngttadventures.blogspot.se
Doesn't make sense. If the cabs are just drones, then why do they act like that?
'Help me, i'm under attack!'
Etc.

They are written like there are people in there.
People worried about getting blown up, not just irked that they will lose a few blocks.
Also: windows on cabs.
When you play MMO games, do you say "help, my character is under attack!" Or "Help, I am under attack!" ???

Rafs

Collecting the Infinity Terminals
If they were in life threatening danger they would swear a lot

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
Well... certain in-game missions imply quite strongly that cabs are actually cabs for people. In some GSO 'Catch Racer Tech' missions, the description states that the 'mission submitter's son has stolen one of their techs and that you must teach them a lesson by destroying it.' Another Venture mission of the same kind claims that the racer tech is driven by their 'champion' and in order to win you must destroy the champion. It even seems to make light of the fact that to win you must kill someone by being reticent in saying that that makes you the next champion...

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Without thinking about it much, I had always believed a tech is an AI entity.

I (the player) am an artificial intelligence inhabiting the cab in question. I was dropped in the planet of TT by someone, or some corp, to harvest the materials there in competition with many others. I am dynamically upgrading and designing myself to complete the specific tasks at hand. When I switch techs, I'm merely switching "bodies", beaming my AI consciousness to the cab of the nearby tech. The "AI cab" blocks are simply conventional computers with simple instructions to perform while I am not inhabiting that tech. When I die, a saved copy of my AI is simply re-uploaded into either a new tech or one of my nearby techs.

As for enemies, both fellow AIs as well as remote controlled techs (perhaps from orbit) makes sense to me.