A small building improvement that could make a big difference.

Dracarius

Apr 17, 2020
When building, every time you place a block, the tech reloads the markers that indicate a buildable surface. Usually this isn't a problem, but when you get to huge-scale builds, it can take ages to place blocks as you have to wait for it to reload all of them.

Perhaps a better way to handle this would be to preload them and keep them loaded whenever you're in the build beam or have the inventory open so that it doesn't have to reload them each time you place a block and only update based on things that have been newly places.

I understand that they will light up differently depending on which block you're holding, for instance, some wheel blocks won't allow the surface of the underside of the tech to light up as they can't be placed there, so maybe it would be easier to simply have each node load in already knowing which blocks can go where, so that if you hold a wheel block, they might turn completely red or something, then when you hold a regular building block, they turn back to red&white.

(TLDR) Preload buildable-surface-nodes and keep them loaded when building to make building huge techs not take so long.

Dracarius

Apr 17, 2020
I don't quite know if the tech "knowing" what blocks can and cant go on a certain place would lower the computational load, although I do agree it could be optimized.
I'm not too fussed on how they'd do it, if it would take more computing power to do it like that, then maybe it's not the best method, but this feels like a problem with a lot of wiggle room.