A question to devs about manufacturing block orientation.

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
I've noticed quite a few blocks in the manufacturing catagory in this game to be limited in it's orientation : they can only be placed upright.
These include ALL the fabricators, most furnaces and delivery cannons. How much of this is intentional?
I can understand if delivery cannons are this way since they should be shooting the chunks into space, but the BF one can be placed in any direction, which is likely an oversight during their addition.
In terms of the rest of the blocks, is there a reason for them to be limited in this manner? If feels like it limits the build possibilities, while I can't see why they would reaaaaally need to be. Oh, and the HE furnaces are the only furnaces that can go whichever way, making them my go to choice at the moment.
We are dealing with space age tech, so the lore shouldn't have to say that they could only make the devices to work when upright, I'd say?
So can we pleaaaase have them in all directions? Lol

Reactions: Sapioit

Sapioit

Nov 1, 2019
sapioit.com
They didn't even fix the problems with the orientation of component factories while rotating them. I think it will be a while before we even get the chance for what you say to be achieved. But it would be nice to have the furnaces work in any orientation.

I think the fabricators are like that due to how the fabricated blocks are thrown/launched from it, and adding more orientations would only make the problem worse.

Reactions: burger1113

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
I think the fabricators are like that due to how the fabricated blocks are thrown/launched from it, and adding more orientations would only make the problem worse.
Well, having them lauched out was fun while it lasted, but they could just be gently released midair so they can be picked up by the player, magnet or scu.

Reactions: Sapioit

Sapioit

Nov 1, 2019
sapioit.com
Well, having them lauched out was fun while it lasted, but they could just be gently released midair so they can be picked up by the player, magnet or scu.
True, But that would require to have enough place for that, and if you fabricate something big while there is another fabricated item there, you would get some collisions and at least one of the items would be launched far away, if not even take damage and explode. By launching them, they make sure the fabricated items don't take damage by simply being spawned, and cause less lag because of that. Let's not forget that fabricating with a pacemaker on turbo can be quite fast.

Reactions: burger1113