A (probably controversial) weapon suggestion.

-=ROOSTER=-

Complete Idiot
Hi guys,
I've come up with an idea that I think if done correctly could be very fun, add a new dimension to the normal campaign, and very well could be the "catch up metric" that many of us have been looking for in multiplayer. I propose there be a gun (maybe even one for each corporation) that requires ammo. I know it's an idea that's been brought up before, and didn't go over very well, but there's a twist so just hear me out. This particular gun would have to have it's ammunition crafted, and therein lies the interesting part. Many different types of ammo with many different effects would then be possible, The more powerful - the more elaborate the recipe for the particular ammo, and recipes should not be supplied, but found through trial and error. Let it be a mystery what recipes are possible, and players can then share them with their friends as they are found. An example of the recipes would be something like: 10 Fibron + 10 Plumbia = standard lead ammo , or 10 Plumbia + 10 Oilite + 5 blast caps = explosive rounds , and so on. Explosive, Incendiary, Armor piercing, high velocity (longer range), Etc.. For multiplayer there could simply be random resource spawns placed throughout the map, and as you collect them (in simplified three resource recipes and be immediately converted to a specific ammo type as they are picked up ,and the effectiveness of your shots would then give a short term advantage. This would be great because a tiny, newly spawned tech moves with more agility than a large tech with many guns (which presently is the only balancing factor, and by itself doesn't even come close to working) so the small tech could get to resources easier and level the playing field. This will require much much more thought, of course, but could literally be a "game changer". What do you think? - Rooster

Wassaup

Combat in TT is... limited, to say the least. All you can do is lock-on, hold down the fire button and maneuver, hoping, the enemy falls apart before you do. This is compensated by not having to worry about ammo, or re-loading, or overheating, or any other limiting factor. If you suddenly had to deal with limited ammunition, you would get frustrated about wasting it when you miss a shot. And you will miss... a lot! Now compound this with having to craft said ammo and you have a recipe for keyboard-destroying anger. Not only are you wasting opportunities, you're also wasting resources by missing and wasting time, when you have to re-craft your inventory of bullets.
As for multi-player, while I don't play it myself, I can see more frustration on the horizon: Not only do you need the gun itself to drop, but you would have to hope, you can get ammo for it too. I can picture a situation, where one side has the gun, but the other side has the resources and both end up angry for not being able to use what they have. On the other end of the spectrum, one side can dominate the game if they get a hold of both the guns and the resources.
If/when combat in TT gets more skill based (...somehow), this idea could have marit, but right now, it's a gateway to madness... or at least, high blood pressure.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I've suggested, a couple of times now, that I'd *really* love to see an end game weapon that fires resources and components, with increased damage for higher value chunks (roughly speaking). Like the coin gun in Terraria.

It would be a weaponised (or weaponisable - 2 mode) orbital delivery canon. Probably given to Reticule Research (because it'd be complicated to use and sciencey). Indeed components like the z4 explosives could have explosive effects, other chunks could sap shields or paralyse enemy AI, or whatever.

It would be best to implement after having groupable weapon firing (due to limited ammo), etc.

I don't see how your (above) suggestion would help players catch up. Such things would be too complex to use in DM anyway, I think (even if crafting systems were enabled there). It's more of a fancy time sink for end-game play. That would make for good video content, too.:)

(Also - paragraphs please, guys.o_O;))

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
It's not a bad idea, though I don't think it really fits within the dynamic of terratech. I think to realistically implement it, you'd need a suite of these type of weapons, one or two for each corp, and I'd be worried about how they fit in the meta of the game. I wouldn't want this weapon if it made existing weapons obsolete, or were underpowered in the first place. In other words, I think it would be prohibitively difficult to balance against existing blocks.

Considering finite development resources, I'd rather Payload focus on polishing the combat as it stands now. I.e. weapon balancing, turret turning speed, combat AI, armor/shield mechanics, and the like. Having a "battle computer" (from hawkeye, of course) which makes weapons lead your target would go a long way. So would some more sophisticated AIs.

-=ROOSTER=-

Complete Idiot
I've suggested, a couple of times now)
I knew that at least one other had, but not that you had, or maybe I did and just forgot.

I don't see how your (above) suggestion would help players catch up. Such things would be too complex to use in DM anyway, I think (even if crafting systems were enabled there). It's more of a fancy time sink for end-game play. That would make for good video content, too.:))
That's because you misunderstood what I was saying. In MP there would be no crafting in the normal sense, but (like in a classic deathmatch where runes pop up and if you're able to beat the other guy to it you're back in the game) rather it's resources that do. Every third you pickup will result in ammo of some type, so picking them up in the right order or 2 and waiting until you get the right for the third to get the ammo you want. It's very simple, not that you would have to pull over and craft things in MP for Pete's sake.

Also - paragraphs please, guys.o_O;))
That was... one big one :)

EDIT: My apologies if I did not adequately explain what I meant in a clear enough manner. I was already in the middle of trying to do two things at once, and someone showed up and gave me a third. I was NOT suggesting that the other weapons be removed. This would be a single weapon added to the list that no one is forcing you to use. And if you choose not to, then your game play experience would change very little. That is, aside from the fact that they would get used against you occasionally.

Last edited:

Nooboid

Not A Noob
I've suggested, a couple of times now, that I'd *really* love to see an end game weapon that fires resources and components, with increased damage for higher value chunks (roughly speaking). Like the coin gun in Terraria.

It would be a weaponised (or weaponisable - 2 mode) orbital delivery canon. Probably given to Reticule Research (because it'd be complicated to use and sciencey). Indeed components like the z4 explosives could have explosive effects, other chunks could sap shields or paralyse enemy AI, or whatever.
That's an idea that I've had already. Awesome