A Plea To Save The Autocannon

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Benbacon, May 17, 2018.

1. Benbacon

Benbacon Founder Of Bacon, Inc

Even after the new updates, this weapon is still one of the most horrifying and disappointing weapons in the game, for multiple reasons:
    -Lack of 360 traverse
    -Laser-like aim, but instead the bullets just drop
    -Not enough damage ( because it can't hit anything )
    -Just doesn't look cool enough

This weapon needs to be better for a Grade 3 weapon in Hawkeye, and the solutions are quite simple:
    -Keep the hitbox, but make the aiming like the repeater and hail-fires
    -Give it the ability to calculate drop ( it already has 90 degree aim upwards so it shouldn't be a problem )
    -Give it a tiny damage buff for each bullet so it feels like a autocannon
    -Make the bullets bigger and/or light up like tracers so the player doesn't feel like they are shooting grains of rice at an enemy

2. Icarus_The_King_Of_Angels

Icarus_The_King_Of_Angels S H I N Y Mad Scientist

That last one is vital. It needs to shoot prettier.

3. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Living in my pizza boxes because mom kicked me out

Aerhetics is very important. Even if a weapon can kill you in one hit, no one gonna use it if it looks like it doesnt kill you in one hit

JimmyBlether and Zargn like this.
  4. {insert_name_here}

{insert_name_here} [REDACTED]

One of the things I really liked about the Autocannon was its ability to aim/rotate 360 degrees. I wish there was a way to bring it back without the gun needing a huge hitbox...

5. Captain Load

Captain Load Well-Known Member

So the HE Autocannon is getting removed? Hadn't heard. Well..TBH its just as useless as the HE tank cannon (or whatever its called). In real life the turret speeds of weapons like that are almost double TT's and most tank guns can be raised to at least 32 degrees and depressed to around -15 degrees. If they made those changes both weapons would be useful. However, Megatons will still be better due to higher splash damage and smaller footprint. If it was me I'd reduce the cannon footprint to 4L x 4W x 2H, even if it meant shrinking the weapon models. This also helps to build more symmetrical techs since there are no odd numbered dimensions. I know that Payload probably made those weapons turn more slowly because their tougher and, presumably, heavier. However, the sizes would indicate massive motors for turning them at good speed. I kinda wish the autocannon and tank cannon made slight whirring noises when they turned :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  6. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

How do you know it's getting removed? There is literally no news at all of its removal.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  7. Captain Load

Captain Load Well-Known Member

I just assumed "save the autocannon" meant it might get axed. And as I posted in the first sentence, I haven't heard that either. I'm constantly seeing people talking about announcements that I've never read myself so I jumped to conclusions.

8. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

Think the OP is saying "How to make the Autocannon good..."

Personally I'd keep it pretty much as it is now but increase the range to about 3x what it is and make it so the drop on the projectiles only goes into effect at further than that. Then balance the damage done & accuracy (so if it becomes much more accurate reduce the damage a touch etc). Bearing in mind no TT weapon leads it's fire (yet) it would still suck while traversing.

Lord Zarnox and Benbacon like this.