A madman Researches: Propellers and Thrusters.

TubaAssassin

I don't know what it is about this game, but I really enjoy collecting random information about the various parts currently available in the game. The first round of my madman research detailed the various weapons' capacity to tear down a single GSO shields and battery. I had initially planned on the next round of testing to cover armor penetration, but due to a id-10-t error, that testing has been put on hold. While that's being sorted out, I moved on to the next project: collecting data on the various speed-accelerating blocks in the game.

Initially, this was just going to be a single test, to see which booster gave the most oomph to a tech's overall speed. This turned into three tests (And one semi-related test) as additional questions came up during testing. Everything I have gathered, as well as explanations for certain variables in the research, are detailed below.

EDIT: It seems that I can't post a comment with more than 5000 characters. I have somehow put more effort into this than I did every essay I've ever had to write for school. Anyway, each round of testing is going to have its own little comment, so hold tight on asking anything until everything's up.

UPDATE: After the initial round of testing was done, Legionite suggested gathering information on how quickly the fuel tanks regenerated to full after being emptied. That information has been added to the final results as Test 2.75.

Attachments

Last edited:

TubaAssassin

Test 1: Max Speed
Explanation
This was the initial idea that sparked this whole mess. the name of the test explains the idea: detail how much extra speed a single booster gives to a tech. The process was simple; get the baseline speed for the tech, then hit the boost and see how much faster it was.
For this section, two techs were used.
Tech A: View attachment 17088
and Tech B: View attachment 17089
I decided on using two different techs to solve a problem I encountered at the start of testing. I initially only had Tech A, which was fine for the boosters that were only one block wide. The ones that were two wide, however, were lopsided when attached to Tech A. This meant that when I hit the boost, the tech would spin out of control. I could hold down A or D to keep it level, but that ended up hurting the final speed for that block, hence the need for a second tech. Each booster has either an "A" or a "B" after its name to signify which tech was used during testing.
Each booster is also tagged with either an "Active" or "Passive" tag. The "Active" boosters are the ones that only work when the boost key is hit, and require fuel to work for an extended period of time. The "Passive" boosters are the propellers and steering hovers, which work automatically and will run indefinitely, provided the tech is moving the way the booster is facing. Due to the nature of the "Passive" boosters, Test 1 is the only test I performed on them.
The Data
Baseline numbers
Tech A: 72MPH
Tech B: 63MPH
GSO CORP
1. Turbine Propellar: (B,Passive): 69MPH
2. Tetrox Booster Jet (A,Active): 91MPH
3. Mega Booster (B,Active): 117MPH
4. Horn Steering Hover (A,Passive): 76MPH
VENTURE
1. Stud Booster (A,Active): 120MPH, made tech lose control
2. Double Booster (B,Active): 136MPH, lost control
3. Nose Propellar, (A,Passive): 88MPH, increased risk of time travel
4. Steering Hovers (A,passive): 74MPh, no difference between the three types
HAWKEYE
1. Rocket Jet (A, Active): 119MPH, stable flight
2. Rotor Fan (A,Passive): 89MPH

TubaAssassin

Test 2: Fuel Effeciency
Explanation
As I was working on the first test, another question popped into my mind; How quickly will each booster chew through fuel? To answer this, a simple 5x5x1 anchored platform was built to hold a single GSO popper fuel tank alongside every "Active" booster. Then, it was as simple as timing to see how long it took for the booster to sputter out and die.
Side note: I was asked in my shield test why I use GSO parts when taking measurements like this. The answer is simple; the GSO parts are typically the first (and most common) parts of each type players will encounter in the campaign.
The Data
GSO CORP
1. Tetrox Booster Jet (A,Active): 19.72 Seconds
2. Mega Booster (B,Active): 5.52 Seconds
VENTURE
1. Stud Booster (A,Active): 9.65 Seconds
2. Double Booster (B,Active): 5.22 Seconds
HAWKEYE
1. Rocket Jet (A, Active): 10.44 Seconds

TubaAssassin

Test 2.5: Tank Capacity
Explanation
After finishing Test 2, I was preparing to introduce the platform to a shotgun retirement plan. Before I did, however, I had the idea to test and see how effective each fuel tank was. The test was run nearly identically as Test 2, only this time testing to see how long it took for a GSO Tetrox Booster to empty out the fuel tank. See Test 2's explanation to see why I use the GSO booster for this part of the test.
You may have noticed that the GSO Popper Fuel Tank and the Venture Fuel Pod have a second figure next to them. This figure is the final burn time of four of these tanks used at a time. I decided to to this out of curiosity, to see if it slapping four of the smaller tanks onto a tech would be better than getting one of the larger ones from the same company. In short, no, it is not.
The Data
GSO CORP
1. Popper Fuel Tank (1x1x2): 19.72 Seconds (4: 57.06 Seconds)
2. Big Poppa Tank (2x2x2): 1 Minute, 9.30 Seconds.
VENTURE
1. Fuel Pod (1x1x1): 12.07 Seconds (4: 27.05 Seconds)
2. Large Kompress (2x2x1): 37.20 Seconds
HAWKEYE
1.Fuel Tank (1x3x1): 54.40 Seconds

Test 2.75: Fuel Regeneration

Explanation
After the raw data was initially posted, good sir Legionite brought up an interesting question; we have the info on how long a fuel tank lasts, but how long does it take to regenerate to full once it dries out? The information below answers that question. The test was done in a similar fashion to Test 2.5, but instead of the small GSO booster, two of the Mega boosters were attached to the base to allow for quick emptying of the tank.

One interesting thing to note: the regeneration times of the fuel tanks seems to match their burn times relatively closely, with the Hawkeye Fuel Tank being the exception. It also suggests that each fuel tank has a specific use/instance where it would be beneficial over the others. The Venture Fuel Pod's low fuel and quick recharge time suggests that it's mainly for quick boosts (like if you were about to do a jump, for instance) while the GSO tanks have a much larger capacity, suggesting its designed for more long-distance expeditions.

The Data
GSO CORP
1. Popper Fuel Tank: 22.14 Seconds
2. Big Poppa Fuel Tank: 1 Minute, 8.32 Seconds
VENTURE
1. Fuel Pod: 8.55 Seconds
2. Kompress Fuel Pod: 22.82 Seconds
HAWKEYE
1. Fuel Tank: 37.53 Seconds

Last edited:

TubaAssassin

Test 3: Stability
Explanation
As I was figuring out the max speed of the Venture Boosters, I noticed that, even with me doing course corrections along the way, the techs were spinning out of control. This is what started Test 3, in which I test to see how far a tech will go with only the power of the booster before losing the plot. I had also wished to test and see how far each booster would push a tech before burning out (I had removed the fuel tanks at this point), but I dismissed that line of research due to the aforementioned spinning out, which occurred in all but one of the boosters.
The Data
GSO CORP
1. Tetrox Booster Jet (A,Active): 3 Blocks (Burned out)
2. Mega Booster (B,Active): 27 Blocks
VENTURE
1. Stud Booster (A,Active): 25 Blocks
2. Double Booster (B,Active): 31 Blocks
HAWKEYE
1. Rocket Jet (A, Active): 39 Blocks

And that's the last one. I was planning on doing some proper conclusion for all this, but as it stands, it's nearly 1AM here, and I haven't slept in nearly 26 hours. When I return, I will endeavor to conclude this properly and answer any question you all may have. Until then, Adieu.

HA! KNEW IT ALL ALONG THAT THE GSO FUEL TANKS WERE BEST!!!

Also, what causes the boosters to spin out of control?

Legionite

Making TAC Corp
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
The Venture fuel tanks have increased fuel regeneration rate too though...

I think that there should be a test on fuel tank regeneration times.
(How long it takes to reach 100% from 0%)

I haven't slept in nearly 26 hours
Given this, I will try out the "fuel tank regeneration study" when I have the time.

TubaAssassin

Also, what causes the boosters to spin out of control?
I did a bit more testing after I woke (can got back from work), and I think I have an answer as to why the boosters were causing the techs to spin out. The two I built for the sake of testing were lightweight Venture techs, and the boosters were always placed on the back of the techs. Just as I was having issues with them being lopsided along the Z-axis, it is also unbalanced along the Y-axis as well. Essentially, the back of the tech was "Pushing" the front out of the way as it was being boosted, which caused the spinout.

TubaAssassin

The Venture fuel tanks have increased fuel regeneration rate too though...

I think that there should be a test on fuel tank regeneration times.
(How long it takes to reach 100% from 0%)

Given this, I will try out the "fuel tank regeneration study" when I have the time.
Research on tank regeneration completed, added to the list as Test 2.75.

Rafs

Director-General of GreenTech
This feels like the person is yelling with a grave