A Few Things To Start Off With...

Morichika24

Feb 25, 2015
Hello forum patrons and TerraTech devs! I'm a huge fan of TerraTech and I love just about everything about the game that I've found so far. I just watched my first livestream of the devs responding to feedback, and it was pretty awesome~

That being said, what do you all (fellow beta-testers and devs) think of these ideas?
Feel free to criticize anything you see here, but please justify your reasoning behind the criticism.

1.) Faster shield fuel depletion while being attacked. Currently, a vehicle with shields, regeneration blocks, and generators all mounted appropriately can render itself invincible indefinitely. If a shield used up fuel/energy faster when it was being attacked this would, in my humble opinion, make shields far more balanced to use in actual combat.

2.) Different Base Shield Behavior from Vehicle Shield behavior.
This is a rather random thought, but what about if shield blocks that were anchored to the ground behaved differently from ones mounted on vehicles. Such as, anchored shield blocks do not prevent enemy entry, so much as preventing any weapons from being used while within the perimeter of the shields. Maybe even that enemies Techs take gradual damage while within a friendly shield, similar in concept to certain competitive games. Perhaps one or the other, but not both effects. Or...why not have them both possible, but not active at the same time? I'm picturing a drop-down box with various preset configurations appearing upon right clicking a shield block.

3.) Anchored shield diameter changing proportionately to how many power sources are directly connected. I'm wondering if a possible requirement for shield bubbles is that the power sources have to be directly adjacent to the shield block to increase it's diameter. This limits the diameter increases possible to 4 times, allowing for a rather large base shield since shields are rather hard to come by.

Vhargon

Nov 11, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
Hello forum patrons and TerraTech devs! I'm a huge fan of TerraTech and I love just about everything about the game that I've found so far. I just watched my first livestream of the devs responding to feedback, and it was pretty awesome~

That being said, what do you all (fellow beta-testers and devs) think of these ideas?
Feel free to criticize anything you see here, but please justify your reasoning behind the criticism.

1.) Faster shield fuel depletion while being attacked. Currently, a vehicle with shields, regeneration blocks, and generators all mounted appropriately can render itself invincible indefinitely. If a shield used up fuel/energy faster when it was being attacked this would, in my humble opinion, make shields far more balanced to use in actual combat.

2.) Different Base Shield Behavior from Vehicle Shield behavior.
This is a rather random thought, but what about if shield blocks that were anchored to the ground behaved differently from ones mounted on vehicles. Such as, anchored shield blocks do not prevent enemy entry, so much as preventing any weapons from being used while within the perimeter of the shields. Maybe even that enemies Techs take gradual damage while within a friendly shield, similar in concept to certain competitive games. Perhaps one or the other, but not both effects. Or...why not have them both possible, but not active at the same time? I'm picturing a drop-down box with various preset configurations appearing upon right clicking a shield block.

3.) Anchored shield diameter changing proportionately to how many power sources are directly connected. I'm wondering if a possible requirement for shield bubbles is that the power sources have to be directly adjacent to the shield block to increase it's diameter. This limits the diameter increases possible to 4 times, allowing for a rather large base shield since shields are rather hard to come by.
I like the ideas. They're still working on improvements to shields, as well as other features that would render shields much more vulnerable. Changes will come eventually.

For example, when a day/night cycle is implemented, solar panels will of course not be sufficient to keep a shield running at night. You'll need to use proper fuel, which admittedly at the moment will not be a problem. Again, balancing is needed. :p

I woke up this morning with an idea for a new shield type. A 'Perimeter Shield', which creates a short, circular fence around a larger area.

Knyghtefall

Jan 5, 2015
I've had a base with a Solar Power Generator and shields be destroyed somehow. While I don't know for certain, I have to think that a shield can be beaten down by weapons fire.

Also, there's a point of diminishing returns. The more shields you have on your Tech, the more batteries you need and then the more time you need to harvest fuel resources to keep your shields powered.

That being said, I do like the idea of combat damage bringing down a shield (assuming it doesn't do that already).

tomo_cjt

Aug 14, 2014
I've had a base with a Solar Power Generator and shields be destroyed somehow. While I don't know for certain, I have to think that a shield can be beaten down by weapons fire
Yep, damage depletes the shields energy store faster.

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
Thanks very much and welcome! :D

Some nice ideas here. Shall make note of them, thanks!

Morichika24

Feb 25, 2015
I woke up this morning with an idea for a new shield type. A 'Perimeter Shield', which creates a short, circular fence around a larger area.
A concept like this sounds really cool, what about making it a possible shield setting available by context menu. That way, any other shield modifications would be easier to apply, at least in theory.

And using your idea as inspiration, what do you think of a version of your presented concept that acts as a gravity well for all loose parts and loose resources. Combining that with a well-equipped base would actually create a rather steady flow of income/parts.

Finally (for this post anyways since I don't want to ramble), what do you all think about the concept of remote monitoring via an antennae block placed on both your vehicle and the friendly base/vehicle?

I'm hypothesizing that this could be used in a couple possible ways. The simplest way would be that you would receive a message on your hud and possibly a sound notifying you of some event. Example for such a message could be "BASE 1 is under attack." or "ALLY 1 has been destroyed"

Ah anyways, I'm going to stop before I begin to ramble, thanks for all the awesome feedback!

Reactions: Tinywar

Knyghtefall

Jan 5, 2015
What do you all think about the concept of remote monitoring via an antennae block placed on both your vehicle and the friendly base/vehicle?
GMTA...I'd suggested this in the past as well. What I've been told is that your base won't be attacked when you aren't there, so having a way to see what's going on around your base wouldn't be necessary.

That said, I'd like to take the idea a step further...I think it would be cool to have a block set where you could alternate between your base and equipped Techs. For example, you're out and about on your Tech, collecting resources. You hit the hotkey and now you've switched focus to your base, where you make some layout adjustments and build a base block, then <hotkey> switch back to your Tech.

Reactions: Tinywar