A conundrum... {Enemy spawn mechanics and auto-farming}

Discussion in 'Techs' started by Redlegdaddy, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Redlegdaddy

Redlegdaddy Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever created something in the game and worry that if you posted it that would cause said thing to be patched out?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  2. Khaine

Khaine Active Member

The game can be broken in so many ways that I don't think devs will panic and patch out your creation at once :p

3. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Oooh, you got us on the hook now...! Letmesee!;)

AstraTheDragon and JimmyBlether like this.
  4. reaperx1

reaperx1 Crazed Builder

Yes there have been a bunch of us that have, but it is better to get it fixed so that it doesn't cause problems down the road. Also the sooner it gets fixed the less time players will spend using it to make techs with and then when it is fixed those techs won't work properly and all that time will have been for nothing.
    Just keep in mind that the hover bug started out this very way and now because everyone likes it so much the Dev's have said they are going to make a specific block to properly implement it into the game.

Can you upload a snapshot so we can all see what you got going on?

Have a good one [8D)

5. layer1

layer1 Well-Known Member

The reverse happened: Everyone complained about Hawkeye Autocannons so they reduced the hit box and made something awesome awesomer. :D

6. Nightblade Greyswandir

Nightblade Greyswandir Well-Known Member

No. If it is bug that is not braking game and is nice to use (like hoverbug) devs will not patch it, If it brake the game you want it repaired anyways... so no.

Lord Zarnox and ZeroGravitas like this.
  7. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

In Terraria, after I popularise the 'hoik' glitch, the devs not only kept it but officially acknowledged it as a fun trick with a lot of constructive uses.:oops::)

AstraTheDragon and Lord Zarnox like this.
  8. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

I killed a Dungeon Guardian using a loop of hoiks. It takes a while, buts it's worth it.
    Also, are you sure you are the one responsible for popularising it?

9. Redlegdaddy

So the build applies what I laid out in enemy spawning thread. I lay out a circle of tough defense turrets. At the center I make a max length arm on a pivot. I power this arm with hover bug engines for movement. On the end of the arm I have a separate tech that I control. The arm moves me amd my movement generates enemy spawns just outside and inside my turret circle. For all intents and purposes it acts as an afk enemy tech grinder similar to the grinders you can build in Minecraft. Far as I know this is the first setup to do this reliably.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  10. Khaine

Khaine Active Member

Very minecraft-y :p

Don't forget armoured SCUs to gobble up all those juicy blocks! :D

11. Redlegdaddy

The turrets are built around a GEO SCU in the front xD.

Lord Zarnox and layer1 like this.
  12. MissingNo122

MissingNo122 Well-Known Member

I've never related with anything or anyone more in my life

13. reaperx1

reaperx1 Crazed Builder

Could you post a screen shot so that we can see exactly what you have built? It seems like it is a very effective base defense that could come in handy. Have a good one [8D)

14. Redlegdaddy

Will do once I get off work. The arm is just an ugly proof of concept tho lol.

reaperx1 likes this.
  15. Redlegdaddy

This is my turret design, pretty basic and uses Megaton cannons because I have alot of them.
    [​IMG]
    This is the layout of the turrets.
    [​IMG]
    And this is the rotating arm at the center.
    [​IMG]

16. layer1

layer1 Well-Known Member

I'm totally going to try this out. Great concept (and I like those turrets.)

Combining this with something like Quack Duck's conveyor system might be interesting, too.

17. reaperx1

reaperx1 Crazed Builder

That seem like a good idea for collecting blocks quickly from fallen enemies. Very cool! Have a good one [8D)

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  18. Redlegdaddy

Thinking about switching to fixed defenses instead of turrets since there is a weird bug where rotating anchors will sometimes tilt over making a turret useless XD. I thought about using trapped resources with a conveyor but this way seemed more straightforward to me =). Overall I am enjoying having sussed out the mechanics of spawning which makes this possible and being the first (so far as I know) to make a functional version of this.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  19. Khaine

Khaine Active Member

It's a catch 22 on the tilt bug thing. Maybe it won't happen if you set the rotating anchor as high as possible and have no blocks nearly scraping the floor next to it. But, on the flip side, that makes your anchor more visible and vulnerable to enemy fire.

The tilted turrets aren't useless per se, since the megatons still rotate and take out the target (I think?), which is pretty much what fixed defenses will do. But it makes them less efficient at it. What I'd recommend is just making more turrets on the circle. Overlapping fields of fire means that if one glitches, the next can pick up the slack. On the flip side (again).. too much artillery pounding the ground = less loot.

I have cruise missiles on mine, so even if the megatons fail me, the cruise missiles don't. But your engagements seem to be at close range, so cruise missiles might not be an effective solution there. Or just overkill.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  20. Redlegdaddy

Since there is a small exclusion zone around each turret so more of them means fewer spawn spots. The trick is getting them to spawn close enough to be active and targetable by the turrets. Im thinking a tiered, wedge shaped fixed formation should be able to have 3 megatons on target from any direction. I wonder if the tilt issue only happens in the flats?