5.14 is broken.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
This is more of a first impressions than anything, but the early game progression in 5.14 seems very broken. Broken to the point that I cannot progress through the tutorial. This seems to be caused by 2 bugs.

One bugs has to do with the solar generator crater. The spawning of the crater seems to be broken. Sometimes the crater will spawn without the solar generator in it. Other times the solar generator does spawn, but spawns far from the crater. One time it was a round 20 or so blocks away, another time it was a biome away. In both cases, I cannot progress, as I either can't pick up the generator or picking it up doesn't trigger the tutorial section that is supposed to start.

Another bug has to do with the markers. Throughout all the saves I have tried (I have done around 5 so far), a marker appears somewhere on the map. When I go to this marker, nothing is there. Either that, or the thing has spawned below the ground.

The result of these two bugs is that the solar generator crater is the only one that spawns. No battery tree, no theif, nothing. The second tony battle and the spawned plane are the only other things that work correctly.

Haven't tried to beat the trader trader troll yet, so I don't know if I can simply skip the tutorial to progress through the game. One save allowed me to grab the solar generator and get past it's dialog, but all the other ones failed. I was also able to spawn to get xp and spawn the troll in that save, but again, I haven't tried to beat it yet.

Last edited:

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
More bugs I ran into:
  • Lift Off bot that didn't work (couldn't interact with it outside of pushing it with my bot.)
  • Triple vendor spawn bug
  • Weird Venture spawning (spawning in grasslands and mountains)
  • 5.14 Update notes not showing up in-game
Also, I guess those phantom pointers were the places that the solar generators spawn. Again, very far from the craters they are supposed to be in. A couple of them spawned outside of the 'safe' tutorial area.

Any way that I could revert back to 5.13? 2broken4me

Last edited:

Bigtoad

Oct 9, 2015
Oregon
I was going to post something about how 0.5.14 is working better for me than .12 and .13 did. I had a problem with the ? waypoint getting stuck where I found the solar array, but that was in the known issues section of the release notes. It seems like most of the smoking crater missions have changed now - I got most of that gear by killing other techs instead and never saw the other craters. I was still able to progress, so that's fine. The most frustrating thing was the harvest boss. He wasn't marked with a waypoint, probably because it was stuck on the solar array, and I failed to find him during a couple of hours of wandering. Then I saved and quit, restarted, and the waypoint moved.

The oddest thing is what happened after I killed the harvest boss. I found a base that might be multiple bases on top of each other. There are lots of techs running around and shooting at each other. I watched some of them rain down from the sky at a frame rate that was probably one half frame per second. Total, crazy chaos. I was going to post a screenshot but it's not working. I'll try again after I post this.

Bigtoad

Oct 9, 2015
Oregon
Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 10.18.57 PM.jpg
How's that for a bit of crazy? At least two bases interposed. I own one and the enemy base is shooting at the friendly one.

Reactions: streak1

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
View attachment 2276
How's that for a bit of crazy? At least two bases interposed. I own one and the enemy base is shooting at the friendly one.
Wow. I thought having 3 vendors in the same world was weird. This is 2 bases in the exact same spot. Maybe that is just some extreme RNG madness, or maybe that is a spawning bug. Interesting none the less.

With the Solar generator, you are supposed to pick it up, plop it down, and a healing bubble is supposed to spawn for you. Did this happen when you got it? My markers stayed when I grabbed it too, but I think that the markers are just broken in general.

I think the other blocks you got from bots are just a coincidence, as that happened before the update with the other craters and the tree battery. I don't think the update notes mentioned anything about removing the other craters.

Though, I see that you were able to get to the end of Grade 3, so I guess the rest of the progression doesn't break if you skip craters. Still a lot of weirdness with this update, though.

Reactions: Bigtoad

Bigtoad

Oct 9, 2015
Oregon
Yeah, I got hit in the head with a healing bubble when I planted the first solar array.

Bigtoad

Oct 9, 2015
Oregon
I know it wasn't in the release notes... I found the other parts that would normally be in craters very quickly, right after I found the solar array. I wonder if there is a check now to see if you already have the part, and if so, the crater for that part isn't created? Or maybe it's just a bug. Seems like that's not a show-stopper, though, since all of those parts are fairly common on techs.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
I wonder if there is a check now to see if you already have the part, and if so, the crater for that part isn't created?
This can't be the case, as the craters never spawn. I'm fairly certain that all of the craters are supposed to spawn as soon as you start the world.

Also, again with the generator, was it in a crater? If it wasn't, how far away was it from the crater?

For the saves I have tried, the generator never spawned inside of the crater. One time it spawned close enough to trigger the dialog and the heal bubble(if only I took a screenshot), but the rest of them were super far away and didn't trigger the dialog or the heal bubble.

I assume that this might be due to the trigger for the dialog being some sort of sphere around the crater, but I am not sure if that is how it works. All I know is that it has hardly ever worked for me so far, and none of the other craters spawned. Progression is possible, but it a lot harder without the heal bubble or the other blocks spawning in the tutorial. I instead have to rely on the RNG of the bot spawning to get the blocks, which I need to be lucky for.

I haven't been able to find another heal bubble, though I have been deleting and starting a lot of saves. Maybe I am just not looking hard enough.

Last edited:

Nate

Aug 18, 2014
Started a new 0.5.14 game and similar problems with the tutorial missions.

The dispensers provide apparently unlimited amounts of whatever block they provide. You pull off a block and it still is holding that same block.

I'm not finding bases. Because I'm stuck in the tutorial missions I guess? So haven't had the problem with multiple bases on top of each other.

Bigtoad

Oct 9, 2015
Oregon
Also, again with the generator, was it in a crater? If it wasn't, how far away was it from the crater?
Yeah, the solar array was in the crater when I found it.
I assume that this might be due to the trigger for the dialog being some sort of sphere around the crater, but I am not sure if that is how it works.
I think you're right about the dialog trigger being a certain range from the crater. Did you try bringing it back to the crater, dropping it and picking it up again?

If you want, try my seed out. I'd be curious to see if that juxtaposition of bases happens again - it was actually very close to my base, which was very close to where I found the solar array. The seed is qJWs68FKNOsVxSZ

Edit: Oops, I missed IdontRuin's post earlier. I see that juxtaposed bases might be a common thing in 0.5.14.

Last edited:

Bigtoad

Oct 9, 2015
Oregon
Started a new 0.5.14 game and similar problems with the tutorial missions.

The dispensers provide apparently unlimited amounts of whatever block they provide. You pull off a block and it still is holding that same block.

I'm not finding bases. Because I'm stuck in the tutorial missions I guess? So haven't had the problem with multiple bases on top of each other.
That's interesting - in my game, I only got one part per dispenser. I'm a little afraid to start a new game. This one seems charmed compared to the things you guys are running into.

That pile of bases spawned on my map after I killed the harvest boss. I had driven through that spot many times before that. It looks to me like there were at least 5 or 6 bases all interposed, not just two.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
I think you're right about the dialog trigger being a certain range from the crater. Did you try bringing it back to the crater, dropping it and picking it up again?
Yea, tried that to no avail. I guess a block outside of that radius counts as a regular block or something

Bigtoad

Oct 9, 2015
Oregon
That's interesting - in my game, I only got one part per dispenser.
Looks like I was wrong - I just found my first dispenser since I killed the harvest boss and it spawns a new part as soon as I take the old one. I guess that behavior only starts after the tutorial is over.

ArmchairGravy

Aug 28, 2015
Ah, so I'm not the only one who had to fight this madness :D
View attachment 2280
I don't know how many bases that were. There were about a dozen little defenders, a huge rotating tower and at least three individual anchored sections to it.
I ran across one of those and ran away because my frame rate fell through the floor.

Bigtoad

Oct 9, 2015
Oregon
I ran across one of those and ran away because my frame rate fell through the floor.
Yeah, it killed my framerate too. I backed up a bit and let them fight it out on their own for a while. Then I went in with guns blazing and indiscriminately hammered the survivors. Once enough techs were destroyed or severely damaged I was able to play more normally. (Heh, here I am offering tactical tips for something that is an obvious bug. Hopefully this issue will be gone in the next release.)

It was actually fun to deal with, but now all the bases are gone, so that's kind of a bummer. I haven't found any bases since except for a couple of the mini- bases I missed earlier.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
Took some screenshots of the odd crater behavior.

Also, I think toad might be right about the craters. I think it is only the first crater with the generator that spawns, and the others were replaced with enemy bots. Seems like I see the same bots in the beginning of each save, so that would make sense. Weird that they didn't mention it in the notes, though.

Can't say I like the change, though. With the craters, you are guaranteed to get the blocks in them. With bots, you can easily shoot the parts on them and blow them up, which means you don't discover the block. It works fine right now, but I liked it better before.

Anyway, the screenshots. The 2nd and 3rd pictures are showing the same crater/generator. The generator is at the pointer. For both and any other case, once you get the generator, the pointer there is removed and a new pointer is made where the crater was. This new pointer never goes away.
screen.png
screen4.png screen5.png

Reactions: Bigtoad

Bigtoad

Oct 9, 2015
Oregon
I just started my third fresh game of 0.5.14. I've found the solar array in a crater all three times, and then no further craters. I run into multiple enemies that have each of the important pieces of hardware, so even if I blow one up I can usually get it the next time. In the third game, I saved and quit, and then exited the game as soon as I found the solar array. When I started back up the ? waypoint was gone, and it didn't reappear until it was time to go to the trading station. The same thing happened in my second game after the harvest boss spawned - I quit and restarted and then the waypoint was in the right place. I guess that is the work around for that bug. Too bad there isn't a work around for the giant pile of bases.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
When I started back up the ? waypoint was gone, and it didn't reappear until it was time to go to the trading station.
Oh, quitting and re-entering saves does stuff? Interesting.

I have been grinding through saves looking for one that has the vendor in the grasslands, so I haven't actually gone back into any of my worlds. So, I haven't had the chance to notice that.