Aug 13, 2014
Design Tweaks:
  • Rebalanced Reticule Research Tesla Coil:
    • Increased range from 20 to 50
    • Reduced time between discharges from 7.5 to 6 seconds
    • Increased initial hit damage from 800 to 2500
    • Increased area damage from 200 max to 5000 max
    • Increased power drain per discharge from 200 to 2500
  • The Reticule Research Cab battery has been reduced from 3750 to 2000.
  • The level up screen for Reticule Research Grade 2 has been improved.
  • A Reticule Research Tech has been added to the start of R&D Labs.

Bug fixes:
  • When playing the Zero Point Hollow mission in Co-op Campaign, the timer now triggers correctly when all players are in the start area.
  • Fixed an issue causing completion of Zero Point Hollow mission to not conclude correctly.
  • When playing the Zero Point Hollow mission in Co-op Campaign, an issue has been fixed that caused the 1st section of Techs to vanish when the timer begins.
  • When playing the Zero Point Hollow mission in Co-op Campaign, fixed issue causing enemy Techs to despawn before the client has reached them if host reaches the next sector.

Known Issues:
  • Reticule Research Payload Terminal is currently unavailable, but will be added in a future update.

Falchoin

May 30, 2018
While the tesla coil changes make it significantly better, I'm a little worried about the direction the buffs went. Namely giving it massive shield penetrating hitscan damage that doesn't even need line of sight. This means small techs will be even more useless since they'll likely be using smaller shields for the sake of energy efficiency. The only option to be safe is to stay outside of 50 range.

This matters to me since I like carrier/drone builds. The AI barely follows appropriately, let alone stays outside of 50 range when fighting enemies. It's more likely to just ram them. My current preferred drone build, which can take a cruise missile or two without significant damage, is obliterated by one tesla coil hit. I'd rather not watch 200k+ BB go down the drain every time a tesla coil fires at them. Attached is a snapshot of the drone for reference.

Honestly I was hoping the tesla coil would be more of a rapid firing point defense weapon.

Attachments

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Aug 25, 2018
I like the buff of the tesla coil also.

However, like Falchoin, I notice the AoE is really very very high. Doing a total of 7500 damage per shot gives it the highest alpha damage in the game. I don't necessarily disagree with this, given the range limitation, but I'd be curious what the max damage radius and max explosion radius are on that AoE. If we're talking max damage radius of 1 and a max explosion radius of 2, then it seems fine. If the max damage radius is 4 and the max explosion radius is 12, that's overpowered to the point that its a problem.

That said, I'm glad Payload is listening to player feedback! As it stands this is definitely a weapon I'm paying close attention to.

Falchoin

May 30, 2018
A bit more testing.

The dps target shows 10k dps per tesla coil hit.

A single tesla coil shot is able to pop Hawkeye Hunter cabs and Counter A.I. modules even with shields protecting them giving about a 2 block buffer. 3+ block distance seems to be enough to take a hit.

The discharge has a 7 block radius, meaning edge-mounted Hawkeye shields will prevent damage to the underlying blocks if hit squarely.
7blockradius.png

Reactions: YaYYeeT

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Aug 25, 2018
I dug out the numbers from the code. Explosion max radius is 6, max damage radius is 3. That's relatively modest, so makes sense.

Interestingly enough, this is very similar to how my modded railguns work. That said, if that massive AoE is to persist, personally I'd be in favor of lowering the radii even further, perhaps by half, to 3/1.5