[1.3] Tech Manager feedback & suggestions

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I like the new capabilities this menu opens up.:) Particularly wondering if it's a step towards my suggestion about a mechanism for collecting enemy tech snapshots (or if snapshotting enemies isn't is going to stay in campaign long term, even)...?

Cropper2019-07-22-02-54-14-1687720.jpg

I'm still not much of a fan of the new style, but we established that most forum users are - new UI feedback thread. So anyway, a bunch more little suggestions:

(1) Mostly I'm hoping that this screen hogging menu is going to be converted into a (left hand) side menu (in the same way the new tech loader migrated over there). It takes up too much prime screen area, given that you are still able to interact with the world behind it.

(2) Show an entry at the top for your current tech. To bring it all together, letting you snapshot and rename *all* techs from the same menu. [Edit: especially as the manager's snapshot mechanism creates nicely auto-cropped images with clean looking transparency.:)]

(3) Allow tech switching from this menu. Double click on the thumbnail, I guess.

(4) AI state toggle (guard/follow) as another button. Including set all either way (extra row of options at the top/bottom of the list).

(5) "Send all to inventory" for e.g. when you've split a load of drones off your tech (or cab counter-measures, etc). The existing options are already handy to be able to more quickly send all the creative/R&D mode starter techs away (and banish the distracting UI markers).

(6) "Lock tech" option to prevent accidental send to inventory. This is an especially big problem for any techs with crafting blocks, which will drop resources, etc even if undoing the mistake. (I saw this as a concern from one of the Japanese players on twitter, but lost the tweet.)

(7) Make the scroll bar wider, if it's going to be clickable, it might be nice to wider than a couple pixels. (I know this is a contemporary UI style trend and you can click drag anywhere on the list of mouse wheel on PC. So whatever, I guess.)

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
(2) Show an entry at the top for your current tech. To bring it all together, letting you snapshot and rename *all* techs from the same menu. [Edit: especially as the manager's snapshot mechanism creates nicely auto-cropped images with clean looking transparency.:)]
The only downside to it is that you can't not set it to a certain position for the snapshot. I just couldn't get my techs good side and had to go at it old school and mask it out.

Have a good one [8D)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
The only downside to it is that you can't not set it to a certain position for the snapshot.
Oh absolutely, for sure - if we could easily custom zoom and rotate the snapshots while previewing the final result, that would be amazing! Maybe a tick box for [Show Background], why not. So much better for workshopping techs, etc. But I didn't want to ask for *too* much all at once. ;)

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Oh absolutely, for sure - if we could easily custom zoom and rotate the snapshots while previewing the final result, that would be amazing! Maybe a tick box for [Show Background], why not. So much better for workshopping techs, etc. But I didn't want to ask for *too* much all at once. ;)
Might as well ask for the stars, but be ready to be happy with a light bulb. Have a good one [8D)

burger1113

Yesss it would be great if the menu popped up from a side. Maybe it could go to the rightside, where the Skins menu currently is?