1.3.7 Feedback

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hi Everyone,

Now you've all had a chance to play around with the latest TerraTech Update we'd like to get your thoughts on it.

Use this thread to post your feedback about 1.3.7. It'll help us do more of the good stuff and less of the bad stuff.

Thanks!

Wassaup

OH! Oh, now you want feed back, huh? Need more stuff to ignore? Well, ask and you shall receive!

This update has no new additions to the game play. In fact, if you only own the base game (which may be only a few players at this point, I admit) this update has NOTHING new, full stop! Yes, the extended render distance and associated sliders are a welcome addition, but they don't add anything to how we play the the game, now do they?

It's bad enough, we didn't get any new blocks (you know, the things the TT world revolves around!), but we didn't even get balance changes some of the existing blocks need. Not even the GSO repair bubble got the price-cut, ffs!
With the exception of the radar, the UI is still butt-ugly! In fact, you guys are doubling down, by making the text even bigger. Not a big problem, it might even help visibility for some, but it's clear that this repulsive new interface is here to stay, despite people protesting! Way to frigin' listen!

As for the RnD stuff, their nice to have. Like, really nice. But won't they become useless, once the Block-pedia is implemented? Or is that off the table? In that case, we need diagnostic data concerning energy and fuel. Not necessarily an in-game instrument, just displayes that show current capacity per max capacity and the rate of change, both positive and negative. The biomes are fine. It's cool, that we don't need to start a creative game for a "live test".

But the paid skins... Oh,GOD the paid skins! Thanks to Lathrix, I now know, that you cannot use the paint jobs and alternate models separately. That's pretty lousy, considering only a select few blocks have new models, meaning these skins can clash with themselves, if you're not carefully choosing your blocks. And how can you choose? There is no indication, which blocks have new models and which ones don't! So these skins ultimately limit creativity... in a game about building stuff! *slow clap*
And you actually want money for these?... He-he-he NO!

But it's not over, is it, huh?
TTfutureMM.png

TTfurureLathrix.png

You're gonna make more of this crap, aren't you?

And how convenient, that the modded content is "accidentally" incompatible with this update! Oh, but it will be fixed, again, pinkie-promise!
Let's not kid ourselves (modders), we will never have official mod support, if there's a DLC store, as mods would be direct competition for the official paid content, and we can't have that, now can we?
I hope I will be proven wrong, I beg to be proven wrong, but... I have lost my faith and patience at this point!

Last edited:

garr890354839

Modded skins do not break rules because they cannot change models...

However, the radial menu does not act appropriately when you send things to inventory. There is still the issue of not being able to swap into techs that I would be able to swap into if the blocks of the current tech would fill the gap that the inventory creates. Basically I can't swap into what I can't deploy. This was broken in 1.3.3.1. There are also other visual bugs that I would like to see fixed.

桂桃~

OH! Oh, now you want feed back, huh? Need more stuff to ignore? Well, ask and you shall receive!
... I have lost my faith and patience at this point!
Dude, chill. I agree that the UI right now is a bit on the tacky side but it's nothing to lose your cool over. This update was about the skins and R&D features, not about adding new blocks (Those are in the works).

I think the skins look good for the most part! I love the fact that you can now combine GSO and BF blocks, keeping the same colour scheme. My complaint about the skins in general, especially for BF is that they all seem rather shiny. This, I find, doesn't meld in well with most other colour schemes. Perhaps some kind of more gritty looking skin can be implemented for BF to look better paired with HE especially. There's also the pattern on the BF faces that attempt to provide a metallic effect. While this is nice on its own, it can't really be tiled well. Maybe adding a larger version of the block itself could help.

The new skins and models look good for GSO, Venture and BF despite some bumps. But I don't think the camo pattern on HE looks quite right. The models are fine, it's just that I think a more solid dark green colour would have been a better representation of 'ancient' (modern) military vehicles. The splotches and the general colour scheme just seems a bit too bright.

As for the new R&D features, the DPS tracker malfunctions when encountering alpha strike weapons. Maybe make the player fire for 12 seconds or something and calculate the DPS from that. The weighing scales are cool but frankly, just giving away the individual block information would have been better. Some features that I think should be added to R&D is the ability to view your tech's centre of mass. This would help less experienced players build techs that require careful balancing more efficiently and I'm sure no one's gonna say "Just do the calculations yourself".

Right now though, there is a lack of chassis shape blocks and energy blocks. Hoping that those would be added in future updates.

As for my suggestions of new skins, first, GeoCorp needs some love, maybe a slightly rusted and weathered look would be nice. Called "Scrapyard".

Venture could receive F1 colours, Red White and Green. Called "Formula".

GSO could receive a navy blue makeover with yellow highlights, reminiscent of some modern navy and aircraft colours. Called "Decorated".

Hawkeye needs a metallic or grey theme, possibly with some slightly darker splotches. Reminiscent of snow camo but darker and shinier. So more like navy vessel colours. With the new blocks coming, this is definitely a must. Called "Iron Fortress".

Better Future could get a techno punk look, with bright colours and neon lights. Called "Technopunk" I guess. Possibly primarily maroon?

Last edited:

_Monitor_

Y'know, I agree with Wassaup on this one.
Not only are the skins PAID but also not worth it! They're for looks, not a new environment like the RnD.

HOWEVER, I have a say in this...
If you guys are gonna release 1.3.7, AT LEAST ADD THE MISSIONS YOU LEAKED LIKE A MONTH AGO.
YOU CAN'T JUST TEASE US AND STAY QUITE ABOUT IT.

Now look, criticism or not, I want this game to be good, but after maxing out a save it's pretty mundane.
Add new biomes? Add the Block-pedia? Do anything that Solidifies it as an update.
If you're not gonna do that, please dont just go up a version when you did it in 1.3.6

xXThunderFlameXx

Aircraft Enthusiast
What is there to discuss about this update? You fixed like 3 bugs, 2 of which aren't even that big, but if you want to include 1.3.6 then let's go:

The R&D additions are meh, people won't bother with the extra biomes too much(have you seen the interface?), you might test the behavior of a grounded tech on mountains and all, but thanks to the wack physics of large wheels, you know, the ones that don't let techs snag onto the smallest of debris? Yeah, I'd rather fly, and when you fly you don't really care about the ground underneath.

The only remotely new useful device is the DPS one, which we wouldn't need if we had BASIC BLOCK STATS such as damage and health, you know?
Why do you need the speed one to show you how fast you can go in a certain area? Wouldn't it be nice to have a block that you can attach to your tech to show your speed at all times? Man, someone should make a mod about it...
And there is that scale, stats for block mass, nuff said.

What else do we have, GSO SCU to grade 2? Finally, early game is excruciating as you have to carry the blocks on your tech, and early wheels have next to no ground clearance and carrying capacity, and making trash totems get boring after the 3rd large tech, or the first GC one.

Better render distance? Pretty much the spotlight of the update? Another overdue basic feature? Boy I sure am excited!

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
modded content is "accidentally" incompatible with this update!
We fixed that a couple days after 1.3.6 was released. The Mods are waiting on @WhitePaw2002 to work his magic (as he has to with every update, that's the nature of un-supported mods unfortunately).
we will never have official mod support
Actually, @Flan is looking into how we can support mods once we've got all the consoles up to date. He's been in conversation with the modders for a while now figuring out what they want from official support.
alpha strike weapons
Alpha strike weapons?
Not only are the skins PAID but also not worth it! They're for looks, not a new environment like the RnD.
That's fair enough. But a lot of people have bought these Skins, as well as R&D and are very happy with them. So that's cool! :)
AT LEAST ADD THE MISSIONS YOU LEAKED LIKE A MONTH AGO.
YOU CAN'T JUST TEASE US AND STAY QUITE ABOUT IT.
They still have a bit of work needed to get them done. We're going to try and get them into the next update. Would you prefer it if we didn't tease anything? ;)

桂桃~

Alpha strike weapons?
Mb, thought it was a more generic term. According to Urban Dictionary:

Alpha strike
A large and generally overwhelming attack meant to disable or destroy an opponent quickly. Generally speaking it is the result of an overuse of large and powerful weaponry with a long refire in order to minimize penalties associated with said weapon systems.

Originally the term was used in the game Mechwarrior, but it has since migrated to become common usage in other mediums and genres.
The alpha strike capability on that thing is very powerful!
#alpha strike#aplha strike#alpha#alpa strike#alfa strike
by Nukeitall March 30, 2006

Basically the single hit missiles, cannons, etc. The DPS board doesn't seem to register the right damage per hit of these weapons (according to the block data sheet I have), let alone damage per second.

Last edited:

Wassaup

a lot of people have bought these Skins, as well as R&D and are very happy with them. So that's cool! :)
Sweet! Does that mean, you guys have enough money now and won't make anymore paid dlc for this game while it's painfully unfinished?... Yeah, didn't think so! :rolleyes:

As for mods, I don't recall compatibility ever being as big a problem as it is with this update. Combined with the premium skins, it's just not a good look, know what I mean?
I assume, the discussion is about the technical stuff, as it is obvious, what the customers want: Steam Workshop support for mods and/or dedicated folders (or just one) to copy-paste the mod files to... and don't tell me, "it's impossible", because Cities: Skylines does it just fine!
Like I said, I want to be proven wrong with the mods. The day you guys add official mod support, with no strings attached, I will add a dunce-cap to my avatar, so everyone can call me a dumb-dumb for doubting you. I'm a man of my word!

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Basically the single hit missiles, cannons, etc. The DPS board doesn't seem to register the right damage per hit of these weapons (according to the block data sheet I have), let alone damage per second.
Ah okay. We'll take a look at it. It might be recording the bullet damage rather than the splash damage.
As for mods, I don't recall compatibility ever being as big a problem as it is with this update.
We accidentally blocked something off in code that stopped mods working the way they usually do. But that was fixed after a couple of days after the update went live. Anything left not working with the latest version is down to @WhitePaw2002 as far as I know? If not...let us know so we can fix that.
Sweet! Does that mean, you guys have enough money now and won't make anymore paid dlc for this game while it's painfully unfinished?... Yeah, didn't think so! :rolleyes:
Paid DLC is a way for us to support the ongoing development of TerraTech. If the money runs out - no more TerraTech updates. A lot of people have realised this and posted really nice messages on the forums saying they're glad they are able to support us in this way (seeing as TerraTech is a premium game...you only buy it once...and for a lot of people, that was 3-5 years ago). If you don't think the skins are good value for money, that's totally cool, don't buy them.
Like I said, I want to be proven wrong with the mods. The day you guys add official mod support, with no strings attached, I will add a dunce-cap to my avatar, so everyone can call me a dumb-dumb for doubting you. I'm a man of my word!
Somebody write this down somewhere please ;)

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
As for the RnD stuff, their nice to have. Like, really nice. But won't they become useless, once the Block-pedia is implemented?
Potentially. A whole block-pedia is a huge task and is something we'd love to add but may not happen for a while (if at all). This is why we've introduced the testing apparatus.

So with this in mind, are there any other testing apparatus that you think would be useful? A centre of mass indicator has been suggested in the past.

Website
github.com
A centre of mass indicator has been suggested in the past.
Lift vectors, torque vectors

are there any other testing apparatus that you think would be useful?
Gravity field, gravity-less field, anti-gravity field, gravity planets, gravity playground
Soap floor, sticky floor, sticky wall, sticky roof, traction playground
Portal wall, portal floor, portal hallway, warp blocks, portal playground
No damage toggle, insta-charge, insta-heal, gaunlet-style tech recovery
Local multiplayer, online multiplayer
Empty R&D, customizable R&D, world editor, playground maker
Treadmill platform, wind tunnel, damage field, drain field
Dragless area, high-drag area
Time setter, time lock

Last edited:

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
We don't need a full-up block-pedia. If we just include basic stats in the block descriptions, that would be a big leg-up. You guys have done a good job making a weapon about more than it's dps, but frankly that's the biggest thing that typical players want to know. Simply tagging a few key stats in the description would go a long way to removing the haziness around a lot of blocks. For example, I don't care if the GeoCorp battery has "more than 8 times as much" energy as the GSO one. I want to know that the GSO battery holds 1500 units, and the GeoCorp battery holds 14000 units. Same thing with megaton versus gigaton. Specificity is key for players who want to truly optimize designs.

The biggest interface change I want is a readout of fuel/energy by percentage. I don't much care for those pips. They're very primitive.

garr890354839

We don't need a full-up block-pedia. If we just include basic stats in the block descriptions, that would be a big leg-up. You guys have done a good job making a weapon about more than it's dps, but frankly that's the biggest thing that typical players want to know. Simply tagging a few key stats in the description would go a long way to removing the haziness around a lot of blocks. For example, I don't care if the GeoCorp battery has "more than 8 times as much" energy as the GSO one. I want to know that the GSO battery holds 1500 units, and the GeoCorp battery holds 14000 units. Same thing with megaton versus gigaton
500 DPS versus 625 DPS, for your information
. Specificity is key for players who want to truly optimize designs.

The biggest interface change I want is a readout of fuel/energy by percentage. I don't much care for those pips. They're very primitive.
DPS is a way of measuring guns against each other and that is all I care about, however, I would want the energy readout to be numbers instead.
How about a toggle that has the default, a percentage