[1.3.3.1] UI feedback (detailed)

HeX

TerraTech Modder Manager
I like the aesthetic of the new UI but I just kinda want to be able to move things around and change things' sizes like with most MMORPGs. The aspect of being able to move things around for comfort of eye movement and ability to change the sizes of each chunk of UI would allow the player to form a UI which will be comfortable to them. (Also maybe have options to save UI layouts?)

MrTwister

Well what can I say, sometimes people have time to fix things that are well-functioning, while not having time to fix things that are broken.

At this current form of the new one, old UI is superior in every way.

Old UI is mostly transparent, compact, unintrusive, color-neutral, well-functional and generally good-natured.

None of this applies to the new one.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
2019-11-05 New UI 9.jpg

(8) Mission board / Log:

(A) It would be very nice to be able to manually hide most of the current mission banner (which it pretty big, etc). When minimised, by clicking an arrow, it behaves like the Corp XP indicators, expanding to full size when you hover it.

(B) Pretty obvious (maybe WIP?) - it seems like there's plenty of r room here to see most of the text description without scrolling, which would make using these screens far slicker.

(C) Just a thought - it might be a nice touch to visualise a preview of how much more licence XP you would have after completing the currently selected mission (save doing any little maths in your head).

(9) Bigger changes (overall):

(A) Going back to the snapshots pop-up - are there any plans to eventually turn this into a left side-bar (like the tech loader)?

It's a pretty small dialogue, so could probably be made to fit. And that would allow players to still see what's going on in the world in the middle of the screen, which would be more handy in multi-player modes, where this dialogue can't pause the game.

Making snapshot capture a 2 step process, with a live preview of the thumbnail in the side bar, would allow moving the camera around into the exactly desired rotation and crop to get a good shot first time (and not be so tempted to make do with bad thumbnails, for expedience).

(B) The Mission log would make sense as a right side-bar, too (expanding from the current mission banner). Again, allowing players to see what's going on in world while viewing available missions. Hovering or selecting a mission would pop up the additional info to the left, impinging a little more. Also previewing/highlighting the location icon on the mini-map, etc (make it pulse bigger or something attention grabbing, to be very clear - I imagine you guys already have plenty of idea for this).

Website
sapioit.com
But it's here now. And I'm pretty sure there's not going to be an option to revert to the old style. Adriano said (on Twitch stream this evening) that he'd be against that (as head QA) because that would double up testing requirements. It would also double up implementation requirements, with making future changes to it. And negate any benefits of the overhaul, assuming it simplifies/unifies how it works, behind the scenes.

Anyway, Lathrix does say he loves it, too (but then he basically says that about everything added to the game, heh :D).
Then everyone could compromise by pointing out what the biggest issues are (which was already done). And that is the reason this topic exists, to find the biggest issues and improve the UI by solving those issues in the simplest and most efficient ways possible.

(E) The white icons for SCU, mission objectives and invaders were already tricky to differentiate. The white radar area makes this worst. But I guess that's a parallel thing to the part of the UI that's being redesigned, here? Still needs attention please.
Easiest fix would be to have the icons have an outline. A black outline would make all the bright-colored icons more visible, and it doesn't have to be more than 2-3 pixels thick, readable even if just one pixel thick..

(G) There's only used to be 12 missing blocks visibile on the old interface, now just 4 at a time. Very cramped and bad for persons like myself with poor working memory, trying to get an overview of what's needed.

I don't know if any of my previous feedback has fed into your considerations, but I've asked if it would be possible to make the missing blocks list visible while the Fabricator (block crafting) menu is open...? This would be very handy, as I (and others) have had to make a lot of back and forth clicks, here.
Easiest fix would be having those thumbnails be the same size as they were in the old UI, so we can 4-5 columns and rows of icons, instead of the current 2 columns and rows, so a total of 16-25 items instead of the current 4.

I did not joke when I said that it feels like we this update steals precious screen space.

Also I'd love to be able to change UI colors like we do with block skins. I'd integrate that to the game as in having progress in a save game in campaign unlocking themed corporation skins for the UI, I really like games where they tie cosmetics with progression (but this is optional, having more "UI skins" is the more urgent feature).
Would be great if we had presets based on the theme colors of each corp, as well as 3 custom ones (which we can change and save), to give the players enough freedom. Even just corp-based color themes would still be a lot better than nothing. And might be a way to let some people have opaque UIs and others have transparent UIs, to better fit the theme of what corp they're roleplay at, or preferring.

One thing that I thought might be cool for the new ui would be if the bottom row of buttons info except for the radar would minimize to the bottom of the screen automatically. That way you could hover your mouse over a tab that would be there to have it pop up or click on it to have it stay up. Maybe even a hot key for it.
The only acceptable way to do that would be to have a menu (burger; 3 horizontal lines aligned vertically) button used as a checkbox for a drop-right menu, which can be selected in the settings through two checkboxes, one option would enable/disable showing the menu by clicking the button, and the other would enable/disable showing the menu by hovering over said button.

UI scaling sounds like a QA nightmare (making sure the text always fits in, on every scaling on every game resolution). But sure, customisation would be cool (also maybe not in line with TT's simplicity approach).
Honestly, they could do with having 3--5 sizes. Small, Medium, Large, and maybe Tiny (for very small screens held close to the eyes) and Huge (for 8K screens at 3m/10ft away).

Last edited:
Website
sapioit.com
This does sound really cool and fun! Unlocking cosmetics like that can be surprisingly motivating for game play.

But of course I don't want to have to progress through campaign to access a UI colour scheme that doesn't hurt my head (and make me need to stop playing).
Which can be done by giving (the default) one color scheme from each corp at the start of the campaign, have the color scheme be save-dependant, and by leveling the factions, you would get other color schemes, which will also be randomly used by some of the spawning techs. Goes well with my idea of holding themed enemy-techs build contests every month, to add new enemies into the game, to have a reason to remove some of the big bulky ineffective ones.

Also, I think GSO has too many color schemes, while other corps have too little. I would suggest every corp to have one corp color-theme per crop level, with the first level unlocked by default, even before we are able to see techs spawning.

This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

Last edited:

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Not certain I understand you correctly, but that could be a fairly clever and simple idea, to vertically invert the order of the inventory, so the blocks start at the bottom and save having to travel so far up the screen to access them.
You got it perfectly.

It may be heading out to everyone, but if we all complain I think the Dev's will make some time to fix things. Just have faith.
Have a good one [8D)

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Just reading through this now. Healthy dose of "it's different therefore I hate it." I'm also not sure why there's so much concern about the sharp corners. I actually quite like it, it looks slick. However I agree with the sentiment so far that it takes up too much screen space. The icons could be much smaller, making the side bars smaller. Everything is really colossal right now. The bottom bar (speed, altitude, energy, etc) should seriously be 1/3rd of it's height. If there's ever any issue with it not being clear what an icon is, that's what mouse-over bubbles are for.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks for providing counterpoints @Saelem Black - I'm very keen for others to talk about things them like in the new UI and give their impressions where they contradict criticisms.:)

Healthy dose of "it's different therefore I hate it."
Well, sure, it's always going to be impossible to fully separate out that element. But I worry the devs will put all critical feedback down to that and just set it aside.

I'm also not sure why there's so much concern about the sharp corners.
I know the shape look is considered fashionably contemporary, overall, so I've tried to be quite specific with highlight specific areas of inconsistency with this (i.e. 4 H). A clash of corners and close by curves are particularly eye snagging. But then I'm someone who has to stick black tape over the power LEDs on my monitor(s), to avoid being ditracted by the point light source...

The bottom bar (speed, altitude, energy, etc) should seriously be 1/3rd of it's height.
Right. And a side effect of this over-sized read-out is that the changing speedometer numbers are very distracting, drawing my eyes constantly:

2019-11-10 Big Speedometer.gif

That's not something I'm going to get used to, personally (being ADHD; I assume most neuro-typicals would have less trouble). I *have* to disable animated avatars on forums to be able to read comments/type replies. Ditto brightness - if this forum had only bright mode I wouldn't be typing this.

So I'm currently thinking I might not be able to play 1.3.4 much/properly and am very worried at the noises coming from the devs that make UI refinements/additions sound like optional niceties, being kicked into the long grass. I'm certainly more sensitive to these things than the vast majority of players, but I know I'm not alone. And what I can't tollerate will be things that cause many others discomfort or displeasure, at the least.