[1.3.1 Stable/Unstable] BF Pitch Trim Gyro is not single axis

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I noticed this some time ago - the BF Pitch Trim Gyro is described as a single-axis gyro in the block description.

It's not. It's an all-axis gyro. This is trivial to see for yourself with a simple test rig.

I don't think it's actually a problem that it's all axis. It fills a role as a nice mid-range gyro with the pitch trim functionality - but if the intention is for it to be all-axis, then the description should be altered to reflect that.

I also mentioned this in an earlier comment, but since it is pitch-trim only, it is not suitable for angled builds (contrary to the description), which are typically angled in the *roll* axis.

Either way, a simple description change might be the fix, but if the design intent was to make it single axis, then it's a bug.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't think it's actually a problem that it's all axis.
Yeah, I've liked to use it as a general gyro with pitch control - powerful.

it is not suitable for angled builds (contrary to the description), which are typically angled in the *roll* axis.
You mean 45 degree diagonal builds? I wouldn't say these are more common than pitched designs (e.g. for angled artillery or sportily sloped forwards cars/bikes, etc)...

But there is certainly scope for gyro(s) that will hold at fixed roll angles too. I initially expected the pitch gyro to be able to be able to do this, with the control axis determined by orientation of the block. But this would limit (small) build options with it and it's clearly not been coded like that at all.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
You mean 45 degree diagonal builds? I wouldn't say these are more common than pitched designs (e.g. for angled artillery or sportily sloped forwards cars/bikes, etc)...
I suppose it depends on how you interpret "angled" in the gyro description. I guess I agree with you, but I think the common-ness (is that a word?) of modern diagonal builds are symptom of this, not a cause. Diagonal builds are virtually always hovercrafts, which ordinarily require gyros. Because any gyro force would interfere with the diagonal nature, you end up not only having to build on the diagonal, but also have the difficulty of building a hovercraft without gyros. Probably why these haven't been common since the 1.0 update.

In other words, I think we'd see a resurgence of diagonal techs if we had a roll-trim gyro.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I think we'd see a resurgence of diagonal techs if we had a roll-trim gyro.
Maybe, a bit.:) But the main problem with diagonally sloped techs is that the AI can't handle them, it keeps picking them back up in build beam, thinking they've tipped, etc.

Last edited: