[1.3.1.1] EXP Dynamo Generator - feedback (now it's finally working! :-)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
After a very quick test I'm feeling like they need to generate about 5-10 times more power.

My bike travelling at 160mph, with one dynamo, struggled to get a Venture shield and repair bubble both powered up and would have taken many minutes to charge up it's 4 Venture batteries.

I'm wondering if the scaling is deliberate to make the generators effectively irrelevant, in terms of campaign meta...? If not, then I'd say to give them a big buff, but also some down sides. A couple of possibilities:

(1) Require that they are connected directly to a wheel block that is in contact with the ground. This is logical and would add a new little building structure challenge.

(2) Have them add additional force resisting motion, slowing the tech down proportionately.

-=ROOSTER=-

Complete Idiot
Any time a wheel is moving (speeding up, or slowing down) it should be generating. And it does say in the description that the faster - the more it generates, so maybe its just the curve in relation to speed that needs adjusting.

Rafs

Collecting the Infinity Terminals
Dynamos are very weak by themselves but in quantities they do make a difference. Without diminishing returns, this will and has been proven to benefit larger techs, provided these are fast enough.

-As of now, the dynamo checks for 1 wheel or any wheel touching the ground (or another tech, which is highly exploitable and I did exploit it myself).

-It also checks for the tech speed (speed of the fastest part/block of it [edit: could be instead the center of the tech or center of gravity]), which can be artificially increased by boosters/thrusters, and I also exploited it in an anchored rotative generator, as it reads the speed of the edge of the rotating tech in order to boost dynamo performance.

-And it checks the component of the movement forward or backwards.

All points suggested by ZG would reduce exploitability, while an increase in output would also help if accompanied by these changes. Also fixing the bug of wheels generating trails middair when touching another tech would help fixing the said exploit in multitechs.

As for the vibro blade and the resource radar, I hope the best for it, and I also hope we can have a colored map someday (maybe a radar that shows biomes in different colors so you can see their borders).

Last edited:

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Why does the dynamo generator even have to be linked to wheel speed and not just tech speed?
It could just be that the air flow from driving fast turns the dynamo and if your looking for a way to control its use it could be limited to only work when on an outside face of a tech. It makes sense that it should have to be exposed and in turn vulnerable.
Personally I would like to be able to bury a few hundred dynamo generators inside a monster tech that could travel 20 MPH and have power to spare, but that's me ;).
When it gets to using the dynamo on a flyer or hover tech I feel that it should almost act as a spoiler to some extent, causing the tech to pitch or lean due to the drag that is created by its intake of air. Again that is if it runs off of air flow.
Just a thought.
Have a good one [8D)

Falchoin

It almost sounds to me as if we need a windmill generator for flying/hover techs and make the dynamo only work on ground techs. The dynamo would be more efficient than a windmill generator due to the inherent advantages of flying and hovering, but it would still give flying/hovering techs the option to generate power via movement without the need for janky looking exploits.

Hlebuw3k

The Bread Cat
How about rotors have a second mode when they generate power instead of generating force? Of cource they will need to be facing the wind, and of cource they will slow down the flyer a lot, but it would be cool to have wind mechanics in the game. Also i think it would be fair for the vertically placed wings behind the switched rotors to automatically try to turn the tech towards the wind