[1.2.0.5] Feedback - New Hawkeye sloped armour inconsistencies and suggestions

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
These new blocks have been fun to build with, thanks devs. But just a few little points about them:

(1) If the "spiked" armour blocks can have attach points (APs) on the triangular face (with no AP "X" emboss), why not the smaller blocks too?

2019-07-12 triangle edge APs.jpg

It could be a corp appropriate robustness advantage for HE's sloped blocks to have this when GSO's equivalents don't.

(2) "Corner edge armour" block should definitely have a matching grey gloss stripe across it's sloped faces.

2019-07-12 HE corner edge inconsistant.jpg

I'm not sure about the medium edge armour (far right - 2x1x1). I think that's probably fine having a unique stlyle, when you can just use 2 of the small slopes in it's place.

(3) The "Split Spike Armour" should be named "Split *Fort* Armour" because it more resembles the older plane sloped blocks (left) than the new doubly sloped "spiked" blocks that come to a point:

2019-07-12 split spike armour.jpg

@SadKen - this your wheelhouse? :)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
And I'll throw this in here as I've been meaning to say this for a couple years:

(4) Hawkeye Weapon Pylons have really terrible stats that could do with some rebalance I think, @zanzistar:

At 3 GSO 1-blocks equivalent, they weigh almost as much as the HE large fort armour (3.5 weight), but with only 650 health verses 3000!

And compare terribly to Venture's Large Dino and Duck Billed blocks (same dimensions but also have additional side APs) - 1.2 weight (almost 1/3) and 1350 health (double). It's currently dumb to ever use the weapon pylons on aircraft, or if you care about your weapons being knocked off by damage.

2019-07-12 HE weapon pylon needs buff.jpg

Stats data from text file download (by @HeX) in this thread.

I've not checked thoroughly to see if there are other similarly weak HE blocks. Anyone else have any observations....?

SadKen

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
@ZeroGravitas Thanks for the feedback.

(1) This was a bug, the fix will be in the next stable update if not before.

(2) There were several versions of this block during prototyping, with and without the shiny panel. There are more HE blocks with the 45° slope that don't have a panel so we went with the version without. It does look odd in your example, although looked equally odd when it did have the panel and was used alongside plain blocks, so swings and roundabouts. Maybe start a poll and see what others think.

(3)+(4) Names and block stats are design decisions so I'll pass the suggestions on.

Website
www.youtube.com
(1) This was a bug, the fix will be in the next stable update if not before.
Wait, so you mean the APs on the flat end of the spiked armour are going away? That's going to cause blocks to fall off at least one of my builds. Although thankfully it shouldn't compromise the integrity of any of my already submitted techs. Are they doing any harm there? :p;)

2019-07-13 Small Spike fall off.jpg

(2) There were several versions of this block during prototyping, with and without the shiny panel. There are more HE blocks with the 45° slope that don't have a panel so we went with the version without. It does look odd in your example, although looked equally odd when it did have the panel and was used alongside plain blocks, so swings and roundabouts. .
So 4 other blocks without (the 3 spike armours and the double sized slope) but only 3 others with it (all the other "edge" pieces in the set... Which is the only context in which I've used the outside corners so far:

2019-07-13 Corner edge 1.jpg

2019-07-13 Corner edge 2.jpg

Maybe start a poll and see what others think.
I guess I can... Here you go. Although, the last time we gave you decisive feedback to flip a block design decision you stuck with what you had anyway.:p

Last edited:

SadKen

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Wait, so you mean the APs on the flat end of the spiked armour are going away?
Exactly, to be consistent with other similar sloped blocks where there isn't room for an AP.

It will inevitably result in blocks falling off in cases where techs have been built with the old incorrect version of those three 'spike' armour blocks, which is unfortunate, but that's why we have unstable releases.

Exactly, to be consistent with other similar sloped blocks where there isn't room for an AP.

It will inevitably result in blocks falling off in cases where techs have been built with the old incorrect version of those three 'spike' armour blocks, which is unfortunate, but that's why we have unstable releases.
Aww that's a shame, in my opinion that's a nerf to the spikes and a reduction to their viability. I understand that along the 45deg diagonal there's only room for half of an AP, but I find armour plates very tricky to attach sometimes because they have so few APs. (While I understand the models are more suitable for side APs) Better Future armour pieces were such a relief to me because of how many APs they have.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
in cases where techs have been built with the old incorrect version of those three 'spike' armour blocks, which is unfortunate
Better Future armour pieces were such a relief to me because of how many APs they have.
This. It was less that a handful of snapshots will get scuffed and more that it's a little knock to creative options, in the name of realism. But I'm not expecting to shift dev policy here, I guess... Seen the poll thread for the small slope stripe?.

Last edited:

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Oh... that's not what I thought you meant. Bummer.