Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm going to jump the gun a little and assume that the UI (user interface) style shown off in the co-op campaign preview stream will be the same in the upcoming unstable. The skin painting menu has remained the same, after all.

What do other players think so far?:

2019-06-18 New UI 1.jpg

2019-06-18 New UI 2.jpg

Sorry I don't have much positive to say; I'm not meaning to trash anyone's work. I guess some of the clickable elements look nice and big and accessible...

Personally, I kinda hate it.:confused: And I think this goes beyond getting used to something new.

The edges are far too sharp and high contrast. Unpleasant to look at. I much prefer the softer, partial transparencies of the old style. (A similar complaint I have with the remaining forum styles, since the Xenforo update, which tend to hurt my eyes.)

The solid expanses of blank space make me think of cheap commercial websites from the naughties, or something, I don't know. Or maybe discord's minimalist UI, which might make sense, there, when it's a canvas for a huge amount of cluttered chat and channel info, but doesn't seem so fitting here.

The sharp right angled corners on the windows are particularly out of place with the rounded TT block and logo aesthetic. But I'd guess you guys might say this aspect is still a work in progress (if not the other points, too)...?

Am I being too harsh?

Last edited:

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
I'm torn between the two of them! I agree that the new look for the multiplayer menu is an improvement, I think the one we have at the moment is a bit confusing-looking and not quite consistent with the rest of the UI, such as the pause menu. I like the quaint and recognisable blue buttons with white outlines, but at the same time I'm a huge fan of square edges and non-transparency in UI in general, so I'm already biased against you ZeroGravitas! I also love the italics, it feels kind of retro. I can also appreciate that the sleek look isn't quite like the TerraTech aesthetic, it's not scuffed, well-worn and the hard edges haven't been rubbed off but I do like it all the same. I would be very happy to have the new style, especially if it has the same 'feel' to use as the skins tab.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
'm a huge fan of square edges and non-transparency in UI in general
You're certainly not alone; it seems increasingly popular, including in desktop apps, like the default Windows 10 look, which I also hate.

I know most people aren't as sensitive to the harshness of sharp edges as I am, but with Window, as least, it's actuallly less functional: it's harder to see where one window ends and another begins. And you also loose the bonus information of what's behind the transparent parts, something that's even more important in the game context.

With Windows, I'd assumed the design choice is a compromise to boost performance on mobile devices, with simpler graphics, while unifying the experience between difference device types. Maybe TT devs have hardware demands in mind too? But I just don't get why that look is popular or desirable for users...

I do like the feel of this new UI but for me it's too different from the rest of the game
Wouldn't it be cool if there were corp specific UI skins? Like you start off with a janky looking grey GSO with scuffed edges, etc. Kinda like (original) Starcraft, I suppose (although not quite so extremely artistic).:)

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
I do like the feel of this new UI but for me it's too different from the rest of the game
The same goes for the skin selection : It's not fitting with the rest
This is because we're working on a whole new UI based on this design so eventually the Ui will get an overhaul and everything will be consistent again.

zanzistar

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
It's totally weird when your parents get a new haircut. The shock of someone so familiar looking so different suddenly is hard to get past.

Our old UI has been added to, patched, updated, amended, stretched and squeezed in lots of different ways over the years. We've gradually added and changed lots of bits and bobs. The Front End looks different from the Block Inventory, which looks different from the Tech Loader. There are weird sets of buttons stuck in the corner and other buttons halfway up the screen on the HUD. The Invader count down timer is inexplicably a totally different element to the mission messages (and looks terrible too). There are lots of issues with gradually adding to and modifying the UI as you go along, it doesn't have consistent rules which catch new Players out as each element seems to behave in a slightly different way.

We've not had many opportunities to give it a total overhaul from the ground up until now. We've been wanting to make sure that each part of it fits together. It's also important that it's fit for purpose in terms of being scalable for when we add new corporations, Block types, categories, modes etc.

The goals of the new UI are to:

- Look clean and clear
- Allow for scalability when new content is added
- Be less obtrusive, take up less space (where possible)
- Be cohesive and consistent, all elements should look and behave like part of the same set

Those are our goals. The new UI solves so many issues that have been left to build up for a long time.

But still, changes like this are always tough to get used to. I'd still be using the old version of Reddit if I could, because it may be rubbish and confusing looking, but it's what I'm used to and the minor changes in the new layout annoy me because I have to learn everything all over again. I understand the reaction, but I promise you the refresh is necessary and well overdue.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Oh wow, big reply, cool.:)

I understand the reaction, but I promise you the refresh is necessary and well overdue.
Well, from the looks of the voting and the other responses, the reaction is actually overwhelmingly positive for the UI changes. So no need to justify yourselves. ;)

It's just me that's an old stick-in the mud, disliking the specifics of the styling.:rolleyes: And even I was not calling for a reversion, just putting in my 2 pence on preferences for styling the new UI - rounded/softer corners edges with more use of partial transparency. (Is there no goal, with the UI plans, to make it fit a TT aesthetic?) But anyway, it looks like I can be set aside as an outlying opinion. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.