[1.2.0.1]Excessive Particles

Lost Ninja

Built an ore processing/storage tech went away on a mission/gathering and when I returned all my factory blocks that could emit particles were. So Refineries had always on smoke, scrappers have smoke and the particles that represent stuff being broken. etc.

I think it's only factory blocks that I had used since I built the tech, and reloading sometimes fixes the issue (reloads sometimes have similar issues on the same or different blocks), removing replacing the blocks doesn't seem to fix the issue. Relaunching the game (save>quit>launch>load) does appear to fix the issue.

screen.png screen1.png

This bug/issue (at least the visual effect) has happened in the past (pre-1.0) but am not sure exactly when or what the cause was.

Attachments

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
This has happened for such a long time... It was an enormous nuisance for me when filming the Great Ball Contraction video, coming up on 2 years ago. Having to quit out every time I needed to reload, because any refinery/scrapper/fabricator that was animated during reload got the animation particles stuck on. And simply reloading the save spreads the bug to all the other crafting blocks of that type.

But it seems like the bug might have been multiplied way more than previously. It was reported on the Switch version yesterday, too, causing FPS loss: https://forum.terratechgame.com/ind...icles-on-certain-blocks-not-despawning.19327/

Edit 2019-06-06: also reported on Steam yesterday. That's a real rash of reports @kae.

Also, I've attached an R&D save that causes the problem for me, if you load it and then reload the same save. It does seem worst than before - e.g. every refinery immediately has max smoke animations happening.

Attachments

Last edited:

kae

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Yup this is an old bug we couldn't find a resolution to previously, but now that our team is larger we might be able to find a fix for this issue. I'll bump it up on the priority list :)

Thanks guys

Another fun thing is that even quitting the game to menu and reloading the savegame won't help - the particles showed up again, so whatever sort of instance caching scheme the game is using doesn't clean it up either. The fun fact about that is that it was different set of scrappers that was affected. Doing a full restart was required to get it cleared up.

Also clearing the particle proliferation made the difference between 10fps and 30fps. It would seem that they are not very efficient.

Picking up a thing isn't necessary - as long as there's ANY active crafting block that might spit particles then things can get buggy. This is really starting to make the game almost unplayable too. Even if you leave behind a base that isn't doing anything at all and then get back to it, quite large percentage of crafting blocks will be spewing non-stop and as a result you have just a couple techs about (rather large and complex ones, granted) and framerate plummets down to single digits.