[1.1] Multiplayer Tron Racing (Hybrid Vectored Hover-Bug)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm just throwing this idea out there, with all the snapshots and save (attached) I threw together as a proof of concept. Just submitted this here in this week's community core (for the devs to hopefully have a play with, too):
Instructions Destructions:

Host the co-op multiplayer save file (attached).
Get 3 other devs/viewers in.
Race 3 laps as demonstrated:

Pick a provided racer.
Set your "Lift" axis key binding to [Shift]+[Ctrl] because you'll need one handed vehicle controls.
Start together and drive clockwise through the gates (showing green, not red).
Grab a red, then yellow, then green block, one per lap, to build your winner totem at the start line.
Pit stop as necessary.
No switching teams or blatant cheating.

The track is as big as I could make it while (hopefully) staying inside of a single circle (pretty tiny - these racers want to go fast and far!). Even slightly bigger and my gates started turning into invisible walls! o_O I also wanted to have the track drive up a sloped monument, but those currently cause techs to explode...:rolleyes:

You TerraTechies are welcome to adapt this however you want and upload snapshot of racers and other techs (to this thread) to make racing more viable (or similar endeavours). Also, have discussion of how to organise things to avoid cheating, etc. I guess it doesn't have to be multiplayer; single player (e.g. time trials) gives a lot more options and possibilities (e.g. much longer tracks, R&D, etc).

Possibly more inspiration in my episode 9 video starting at 15m33s:

Attachments

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Charging satellite for pit lane. Uses the vertical bias glitch with sideways hover-bug and stabilising computers for lift. Balanced to hang at max range for the GeoCorp wireless chargers.

BF Charging Gantry5.png

Repair bubble for pit lane (simple, no generator, pretty arbitrary - make your own).

Pits Repair Bot.png

Turret as a little hazard (must be set to guard after switching its team and your own, then switching yourself back).

ZG Turret Joe 2a.png

Last edited:

Revolver265

ZeroGravitas's #8 fanboy
Nice work! I know you put a lot of work into these, and I thank you for doing the innovating to make cool little techs.

Also, it's pretty interesting to do some pit lane stuff, I did an air Base a while back and I didn't consider the hover bug to float at all, which may be more efficient than lots of Linear Motion engines, which can drop off as though the LMEs turn off if control is handed off to AI and you leave the area.

Edit: the racing also sounds hilarious. Unfortunately I don't have many friends, and only one I got to start playing TT again after he stopped playing after HPMC was released.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
would I be able to use one of my own bikes?
Oh, for sure. The whole idea here is to just test things out, to see what's viable. I've no plans to organise any race events myself, as such, so feel free.

Unfortunately I don't have many friends
Yeah, this is a rather major sticking point for any multi-player modes in small games (with no matchmaker system). So I don't ever really see this going beyond a niche use, with quick muck abouts between friends and maybe an odd episode for collaboration between content creators.

That's why I submitted this to ComCore, where at least the devs might get together enough people to try it out and also see for themselves how well their new co-op systems are working (or failing).