[1.1.0.6 Unstable] Landing Gear Skid Techs Slide Indefinitely

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Techs which only touch the ground via landing skids will slide indefinitely in the direction the skid is pointing. It seems that the heavier the tech, the faster it will slide. This looks like a mass/friction problem between the tech weight, the terrain slope, and the skid friction coefficient. I'm not sure how friction works in TT's code, but I'm guessing the feet of skids have near zero friction. At present, the friction seems so low that even on terrain slopes which are almost imperceptible (salt flats), the tech will slide forever. I'd recommend increasing this so that a skid-based tech can at least stay stationary on salt-flats. Crow.png

To see the problem, open a creative save in a salt-flats biome. Load in this tech and watch yourself slide all over the place without imputing any commands.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Ah, yeah, it's not the usual wheel based techs vibrating away, it's literally just virtually (not quite) frictionless skids.

With this tech, when you put it down, it tips backwards a little and that gives it a bit of speed. I don't think you need any kind of slope for that. And I could get it to stop totally still (even on Salt Flats) by using the prop to cancel the slide.

There's plenty of wheeled techs that slide forever too, with wheels apparently locked up.

kae

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Thanks for the report!
There's plenty of wheeled techs that slide forever too
Are there any wheels or example techs you know do this for sure you can throw at me by any chance?
I've tried a few tech designs and wheels, but it seems only the hawkeye skids slide this much.
Cheers!

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Are there any wheels or example techs you know do this for sure you can throw at me by any chance?
Well I don't think there's anything that will slide as freely as those skids (which are designed to slide freely). But most of the fast/slick Venture wheels will slide under many circumstances.

The easiest way to see wheel locked skidding is with a very heavy tech with fast wheels (I guess because it has more inertia, it will still slide at a lower speed, when the wheel rotation animation cuts out). Even the GSO Bumpers can be persuaded to slide a little like this, but it's not just over weight techs, for sure:

Fastest example at 0:47s with that medium sized large F1 wheeled enemy tech.

Note, at the end, the Venture Monster Truck wheeled tech has the opposite problem - the wheels lock up and brake way too hard, now. The way they bring techs to an immediate halt took all the fun out of them, for me. (Top speed was lowered about 10mph too, as mentioned elsewhere previously.)

I'm very keen for this over-braking to not happen to any more fast/Venture wheels; I'd much rather this slightly irritating sliding effect remains than that. I'd kinda class the Monster's braking behaviour as a bug-like - they feel like bouncy GeoCorp wheels. So, instead of just scaling up their linear friction (as seems to have been done with the monsters), to avoid the braking number being rounded to zero (or whatever's happening), I think it would be better to modify the wheel physics in general, to apply a small static friction constant, which wheels can't fall below.

The 7 techs shown should be available for download here, from dropbox.