[1.1.0.4] BF Single Axis Gyros Significantly Weaker

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I don't know if this was intentional (I doubt it), but looks like single axis gyros got nerfed into oblivion in the last update. I have large a tech which used to be rock solid with BF sky anchors which now falls out of the sky as if it had no gyros at all. The offending drift is supposed to be controlled by by single-axis gyros.

Website
www.youtube.com
looks like single axis gyros got nerfed into oblivion in the last update.
Hmm, I've not seen any changes to the BF active single axis gyro (2x1x1 block) since at least 1.1.0.2...

We've been discussion gyro strengths in detail, here on this thread; the maths in the code for setting their torque was apparently totally weird and was fixed in 1.1.0.3.

As a result, the GeoCorp and HE gyros have effectively taken a big hit to the strengths. But BF gyros were all unchanged, as far as I know.

Saelem Black

This is the first tech on which I noticed the issue. I built it ahead of the April 29th ComCore (so in TT build 1.1.0.1). It can use sky anchors to charge while staying aloft. When i built it, I put in enough single-axis gyros to keep it level while sky-anchored.

Last night when I was playing with it, I tried to anchor it aloft as I have always done, and it promptly rolled out of the sky. Double checked just now for this post.

It has 34x single-axis gyros specifically to control roll and 4x GeoCorp heavy gyros for all directions. I don't think the issue is the GeoCorp gyros because between 1.1.0.1 and 1.1.0.4, they have still gotten stronger (despite the 1.1.0.3 nerf). The only possible reason is that anchoring the tech is somehow deactivating gyros or the single-axis gyros have gotten significantly weaker.

Another possibility is that gyros stop working when anchored, for whatever reason.

Attachments

Website
www.youtube.com
I don't think the issue is the GeoCorp gyros because between 1.1.0.1 and 1.1.0.4, they have still gotten stronger (despite the 1.1.0.3 nerf).
Sorry, I don't think so. From my measurements I think they are just about 13 times weaker now (with only a 25% buff to come, shortly).

They went from being able to support this huge stack of heavy GC batteries....

Down to this, now:

Gyro Torque GC 1104.png

I think I may have to make a further comment on that thread myself, actually...

Saelem Black

Sorry, I don't think so. From my measurements I think they are just about 13 times weaker now (with only a 25% buff to come, shortly).

They went from being able to support this huge stack of heavy GC batteries....
[image]

Down to this, now:
[image]

I think I may have to make a further comment on that thread myself, actually...
Okay, hard for me to keep track here, so let me see if my understanding is correct.

In 1.1.0.1, the GSO gyro was introduced. It came along with the huge venture nerf and a buff for the single-axis and pitch trim gyros. This is when I built that tech, worked fine then.

In 1.1.0.2, the all-axis gyros were buffed across the board. This is when the GC gyros were bonkers powerful (and this corresponds to your first picture, is that correct?) The tech worked fine in 1.1.0.2 because of course it would with the huge buff.

In 1.1.0.3, the big gyros were nerfed again, but still to a level above their 1.1.0.1 values - I guess I can't recall if that tech worked correctly in 1.1.0.3 or not.

In 1.1.0.4 the tech is broken.

If I have all that correct, then my logic says that something has happened to weaken the single axis gyros in update 1.1.0.3 or 1.1.0.4. My conjecture is that perhaps they were nerfed in 1.1.0.3 along with everything else, but did not receive the buff in 1.1.0.2 (since they were already buffed 1.1.0.1). An easy way to check this might be too look at the coercive power of the single-axis in Stable 1.1 versus Unstable 1.1.0.4. @ZeroGravitas, I'm afraid I'm away from my gaming computer for a couple days, could I ask you to check this for me? If they are the same, then it means that the buff from from 1.1.0.1 was undone somehow. They should be stronger in Unstable.

I also experimented in R&D to see if it was a stabilization computer or sky anchor issue. Doesn't appear so.

Last edited:
Website
www.youtube.com
In 1.1.0.1, the GSO gyro was introduced. It came along with the huge venture nerf and a buff for the single-axis and pitch trim gyros. This is when I built that tech, worked fine then.
Yes. (Had to do a bunch of checking up myself, but yes.)

In 1.1.0.2, the all-axis gyros were buffed across the board. This is when the GC gyros were bonkers powerful (and this corresponds to your first picture, is that correct?) The tech worked fine in 1.1.0.2 because of course it would with the huge buff.
Again, yes. I hadn't checked the GC gyros in 1.1.0.1 and hadn't used them enough before that to notice that they'd been buffed so much, or at all. Kris's number in the patch notes meant nothing without previous context.

In 1.1.0.3, the big gyros were nerfed again, but still to a level above their 1.1.0.1 values
No, they had a torque of 54 GSO 1-blocks in 1.1 down to 21 blocks in 1.1.0.3 (and 1.1.0.4). So they're currently about half the strength of what they were in all patches except 1.1.0.2, where they had that crazy torque of 216 blocks.

I still think it's the GC gyro nerf messing up your tech. But you've been very helpful :) in getting me to realise all the changes made (I need to go change what I'm saying in that feedback thread, yet again!o_O:confused:).

I just went back to 1.1 to check the above and the single axis gyros had a toque of only 1 block (same as the all axis BF and venture gyros). Single axis now has torque of 4 blocks, since patch 1.1.0.2.

Saelem Black

Yes. (Had to do a bunch of checking up myself, but yes.)

Again, yes. I hadn't checked the GC gyros in 1.1.0.1 and hadn't used them enough before that to notice that they'd been buffed so much, or at all. Kris's number in the patch notes meant nothing without previous context.

No, they had a torque of 54 GSO 1-blocks in 1.1 down to 21 blocks in 1.1.0.3 (and 1.1.0.4). So they're currently about half the strength of what they were in all patches except 1.1.0.2, where they had that crazy torque of 216 blocks.

I still think it's the GC gyro nerf messing up your tech. But you've been very helpful :) in getting me to realise all the changes made (I need to go change what I'm saying in that feedback thread, yet again!o_O:confused:).

I just went back to 1.1 to check the above and the single axis gyros had a toque of only 1 block (same as the all axis BF and venture gyros). Single axis now has torque of 4 blocks, since patch 1.1.0.2.

Wow, yikes! I didn't realize large gyros are now weaker than in 1.1!

Glad to be of assistance, and at least we know the issue know. Thanks for you debugging!